“Home Way from home”

Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in Galway
limerick
“Home Way from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

My Family & I have just returned from a night away at the Galway Bay Hotel - We have stayed here a few times before and decided at the last minute to make a booking - We got a great deal for one night with Dinner.

We checked in at 2pm and went straight to our room - I went to the bar to watch Ireland lose to Scotland in the Rugby and have a couple of nice pints while my Wife & Son went for a swim.

There was a Wedding arriving at the time and you would not know as it was very peaceful.

We had dinner & I must say "Top Marks " Main courses of Steak for myself & my Wife & Son shared a Lobster - Very very tasty with a nice bottle of wine - A stroll down the promenade after Dinner followed by a nite cap !

Breakfast this morning lovely & I have to say what I love about this hotel is that we went for Breakfast at 10.45am & both the Hot and cold buffets were fully stocked ( I can't say that about some of the hotels I have stayed ) Also i have to say all the staff we were in contact with were great & nothing seemed to be too much trouble & we are looking forward to our next visit to the Galway Bay - We just hope the weather is a little better.

• Stayed August 2011
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Dear ‘munster1Limerick’,

Wow, what a super review of the Galway Bay Hotel. On behalf of all on the team here I would like to thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay with us and also for this very positive review. You mention the ‘great’ staff and I do receive feedback such as this daily – I am so lucky to have such a wonderful team who are so passionate and focused when it comes to delivering top class service consistently. To get ‘top marks’ for dinner is also very rewarding and we are delighted that you enjoyed your meal so much; again this is feedback I receive daily. I am also very happy to read your comment regarding the arrival of the wedding guests and how peaceful it was – this is definitely the case as we do operate one wedding reception on a day, with the reception in one of our beautiful sea view lounges – with superb views of the famous Galway Bay and beautiful Clare Hills. We all look forward to hopefully welcoming you back at some stage in the future and hopefully you will get the good weather next time.
Dan Murphy.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

Never stayed in Galway Bay hotel but was at a wedding there on 4/8/2011, great day! Food was lovely, service was pretty fast & staff were very professional! I was impressed! :-)

• Stayed August 2011
Dear ‘Mossie3012’

Thank you for choosing to stay in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for this very positive feedback. I am delighted that you were impressed with the food, service and professional staff. I have passed on your comments to all on the team and all have requested that I pass on to you a very sincere Galway Bay Hotel thank you. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back at some stage in the future.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

After I added an extra night I was given a higher rate, and told it was because of race week. Then the evening before my extra night a flyer offering a much lower rate was slipped under my door.

On my checkout from the hotel I mentioned the difference to the desk clerk who told me I would have to wait to speak to manager about it. I waited around until a manager explained to me the laws of economics (tough break). He ended the conversation with a 'your welcome' , was I supposed to say thank you?

The general manager responded to me via email with basically the same song and dance...He said that he would like to make sure my future stays were better. Which is hotel speak for, if your not coming back here we don't care.

nice enough hotel, just know who you are dealing with

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Dear Mr Ryan,

Thank you for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel on your recent trip to Galway. I am very happy that you enjoyed your brief stay here and I was also very happy to liaise with you following on from your visit, explaining your query regarding our bedroom rates.

On Friday July 22nd last we received a cancellation for Sunday 24th July from a group of regular guests of the hotel due to a very unfortunate situation. This unfortunate situation left us with a number of bedrooms to sell at very short notice. We made a decision on Friday evening to offer to all in-house guests the option to stay on in the hotel for an extra night at a ‘sale price’ to sell these last bedrooms. As you quite rightly outline this was done by placing a ‘sale flyer’ in guest bedrooms and the good news from my point of view is that we sold the bedrooms at this ‘last minute price’.

Both myself and the Senior Manager with whom you queried this with on the morning of your check out are terribly saddened to view your comments; as when you queried this, we made the relevant adjustment to your bill, passing on the ‘sale price’ to you and we apologized for any inconvenience or upset caused to you. I also did this by a follow on e-mail. It is for this reason that I feel your comment is very unfair.

As I previously mentioned to you, I am genuinely concerned when any guest leaves the hotel with any issue and I would like to assure you that my response to you was (and is) nothing but genuine. I do sincerely hope to welcome you back to the Galway Bay Hotel at some stage in the future. Kind regards, Dan Murphy.
Dundee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

Stayed for two nights in May, got a great deal - 2 nights B & B and one evening meal for 99Euro. Staff were pleasant, helpful and local. Breakfast was first class and dinner was really good too. Only one small area that could be improved was the conservatory, it is a really good space with great light and views but not a comfortable place to sit - it needs a makeover. Overall a great hotel for a short break.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dear ‘DaffyDundee’

Thank you most sincerely for taking the time to review the Galway Bay Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your short break here and I use feedback such as yours to help motivate and encourage all on the team to perform to the highest standard consistently. You are quite correct referring to the views from our conservatories – they are spectacular and the amount of guests relaxing in these areas watching ‘the sun go down on Galway Bay’ as the old and famous song goes is quite amazing. These areas have been refurbished over the last two years as part of our overall refurbishment program. We all look forward to hopefully welcoming you back at some stage in the future.
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

Very nice hotel. Loads of parking. Right next to an small amusement park, which was distracting to our 3 year old. Had to drive into the city because it is so far away. Really lovely otherwise. Excellent breakfast.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Dear ‘DesignrGirl’,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for your review. I am delighted that you really enjoyed your stay here. I have passed on your comment regarding the excellent breakfast to all on the breakfast team and all are delighted – particularly as we have been awarded with the ‘best breakfast in Ireland’ a number of times over the last number of years. We all look forward to hopefully welcoming you back at some stage in the future.
Kind regards,
Dan Murphy
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed at Galway Bay Hotel recently and had a fantastic time. We travelled with our two year old who was well catered for and spoilt by all the staff, which made our trip very enjoyable! The hotels location on the sea front is enviable and great for a stroll after dinner. The restaurant is spacious and has a great selection of dishes, which are all delicious.

See you soon!

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
Dear ‘amylea6’

Thank you most sincerely for this super feedback. I receive approximately 250 guest comments each week by way of comment card, letter and by word of mouth and I have to say that your comment is certainly a replica of these comments. I look forward to welcoming you back at some stage in the future.
Eire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed at the Galway Bay mid July as a family break.The family room was a good size,clean and comfortable.However the shower was difficult to regulate.While Perks funfair spoiled the view it did not intrude on a nights sleep as it closed at a reasonable hour. The staff were friendly,helpful and worked very hard especially in the restaurant....where there were simply not enough of them leading to very long sittings for dinner.We had two meals here one good,one dreadful.Met the Manager charged with bringing the dinner drinks and I am still waiting on my wine.Indeed I came to the conclusion that if the middle management worked as hard as the frontline staff this hotel would be much better.Irish hotels seem heavily dependant on Coach tours this year and while diversity may be necessary is this to the detriment of your core business..the famjly holiday?Thanks to the staff in the kiddies club who got great reviews from the young ones. Overall though for the price charged there is plenty of room for improvement in facilities and quality.

2 Thank topcattEire
Dear ‘topcatEire’,

Thank you for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for this valuable feedback. Naturally, I am extremely concerned to learn of your experience with us and I would like to assure you that I and all on the team are extremely concerned and upset when any guest leaves the hotel less than 100% happy. I would like to apologise most sincerely and I would like to assure you that this is definitely not the normal standard of service we strive to offer any guest of the hotel. I have addressed each issue you encountered with the relevant management and staff and collectively we are working to ensure that we do not have a reoccurrence with any guest in the future. I and all on the team are terribly disappointed as we feel that we have let both ourselves, and indeed more importantly a very valued guest down. We are also terribly disappointed as we do have very stringent policies and procedures in place to ensure that the issues you encountered are not issues for any guest of the hotel which are addressed in our structured training program ‘Exceeding Expectations’. This is a training program managed by each department manager and our Human Resource Manager whereby each team member attends a 30 minute daily training session in their relevant department. This is then audited both internally and by an externally contracted ‘mystery shopper’ company. We receive approximately 250 guest comments weekly from guests of the hotel. These comments are received consistently throughout the day and week by way of letter, comment card and of course by word of mouth, when guests checking out of the hotel etc. All comments are uploaded on to our guest feedback log for review and as you can imagine, there is a vast amount of guest feedback on this database. I mention this as I would like to assure you that this is not the norm as over the years and indeed recently the overwhelming amount of guest feedback is extremely positive. I would welcome the opportunity to touch base with you in person, with the ultimate aim of regaining your confidence with the Galway Bay Hotel – should you wish to do so please drop me a line at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com. Kind regards,