“Good concept but lacks of some extra” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Corrib Village

Corrib Village
Ranked #38 of 51 Specialty Lodging in Galway
France
“Good concept but lacks of some extra”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

The hotel with appartments is interesting. Each room is attached to 3 other rooms and share a kitchen/living room. There is of course no need to use it if you don't need it. The room has a nice design, the bed is confortable, the bathroom is a bit tiny.
On the bad sides : some inhabitants are very noisy, a group of students was in the building in front of ours and it wasn't nice hearing them til late in the night. Other bad point : there was a piano removalist truck parked in our carpark in front of the building all the time ! At night we had to park a lot further to get back to our appartment. Finally the breakfast is a bit plain (continental only).
For a budget stay it is perfectly suitable, however if you can afford another place, I wouldn't recommend you this location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank liam75005
CorribVillageGalway, General Manager at Corrib Village, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Many thanks for your recent review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay in Corrib Village – as you mentioned, we are indeed the perfect choice for affordable accommodation in Galway. I am sorry that you felt noise was an issue, we operate a 24 hour reception and our staff would have been delighted to assist you with any noise complaints had it been brought to our attention. Parking is unallocated and on occasion parking is not available in certain areas of Corrib Village, there is however ample complimentary parking throughout Corrib Village.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Corrib Village in the future – keep an eye on our website for great deals on affordable accommodation in Galway!
Roisin Buckley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Ennis, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed here with a group of 35 people for a summer school. Was blown away with the excellent staff who went out of their way for everything we required. The place was clean and well maintained. It's only a small bit (30 minute walk through the river side university) from the centre of the city but there is a courtesy bus that ferries people to and from town which is a huge help. 24 hour reception also which is reassuring. Had been there previously a number of years ago but in the interim there has been a huge overhaul and ungraded all facilities and apartments. Ideal for travellers who don't want to spend big yet have a nice, comfortable, safe and quiet place to stay.

Room Tip: Apartments near the university side of the complex will leave you closer to town.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank NeylonsK
CorribVillageGalway, General Manager at Corrib Village, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Many thanks for your recent review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay in Corrib Village – as you mentioned, we are the ideal base for a Summer School.
As a past customer, it is good to see that the changes we have implemented since November 2011, when there was a change in Management Company, are being reflected in the guest experience and I look forward to welcoming your group back to Corrib Village next year!
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

For a father, travelling with his 20 yo daughter this was an excellent place to stay: great value for money! We bothe had our own rooms and shared a bathroom (shower/toilet). The personell was more than helpfull. Easy transport to the city centre.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank S M
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Many thanks for your recent review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay in Corrib Village – as you mentioned, we are the ideal base for exploring both Galway City and Connemara.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Corrib Village in the future!
Cork city
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed the weekend of the Volvo ocean race. Booked two doubles and a single apartment, on arrival were told they only had an apartment with 1 double & 2 singles. My fiancé & myself gave the double to the other couple in our group and we slept in single rooms, far from ideal considering we had booked back in March. We did get a rate reduction but still very frustrating.

Rooms themselves are like the inside of a prison cell, lovely breeze block finish! I've stayed in other college accommodation in the past during the summer and Corrib village is rough in comparison.

Location is very good, close to the city centre. Overall I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank PEJACorkcity
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Many thanks for your recent review. I wish to re-iterate out apologies to you on the unfortunate over-booking situation that we found ourselves in during the recent Volvo Ocean Race. My colleague would have explained to you on check in, that this is not the norm in Corrib Village and is a situation that we deeply regretted.
As you mentioned we did offer you a substantial reduction as a means of apology and I am sorry to read that you are still unhappy with the situation.
Our location is perfect for touring Connemara and Galway City itself - Corrib Village is a leisurely 15/20 minute walk, taking in the historic NUI Galway campus along the banks of the River Corrib, to the bustling heart of Galway city. We also provide a complimentary shuttle bus service from Corrib Village to Eyre Square which operates daily until 8.00pm.
Should you wish to discuss your stay further I can be contacted at (091) 527112 or at roisin@corribvillage.com
Roisin Buckley

Travelers are raving about these Galway hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed here recently. I paid less than EUR30 for a single room. There is a free bus into town and a basic breakfast included for this. Great value. Room was basic but comfortable enough. The only downside is that it is a bit far from town - the taxi journey can cost between 9 and 12 euro. I will return here. No complaints for the money.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Corrib Village, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Many thanks for your recent review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay in Corrib Village – as you mentioned, we offer great value on both Summer and Student accommodation and often have special offers available through our website.
You mention that we are far from the town centre – Corrib Village is a leisurely 15/20 minute picturesque walk, taking in the historic NUI Galway campus along the banks of the River Corrib, to the bustling heart of Galway city. We also provide a complimentary shuttle bus service from Corrib Village to Eyre Square which operates daily until 8.00pm.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Corrib Village for another great value break in the near future.
clare
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

I found Corrib village to be Clean well equipped self catering option . Yea it's not a four star hotel but I had all I needed . The kitchen was well stocked and most of the equipment was new . The living room was spacious , furniture a bit old but fine . I found all areas clean and spotless . Shuttle bus was handy as its a long walk to city centre . Small shop on site was good to have when running out of milk. Found staff to be friendly and helpful. One small annoying thing the swipe cards on main building door took 4 to 6 attempts to open but apart from that I liked Corrib village and would return

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank rubygirl1977
CorribVillageGalway, General Manager at Corrib Village, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor member
Many thanks for taking the time to review Corrib Village.
I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. As previously advised, Corrib Village is under a new Management Company since November 2011 and one of our changes has been to appoint an Accommodation Manager to work with us since early June 2012. I was pleased to read that this appointment is having the desired result and that you found your accommodation to be clean and well presented – I will be sure to pass your comments onto Liam and his team.
As you mentioned, we do indeed offer a courtesy bus service to and from Galway City centre. Following customer feedback I am delighted to say that we have now extended these hours at weekends and run our courtesy bus service from 10.00am – 8.00pm Saturday & Sunday and from 12 noon – 8.00pm Monday - Friday.
Our Shop is also open from 8.30am – 8.30pm and stocks all your grocery essentials along with toiletries, fresh fruit, Bewley's tea & coffee to go and a gourmet range of sandwiches and sweet treats!
We look forward to welcoming you back to Corrib Village in the near future.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

We booked a room with a bathroom. When we arrived, we were sent to a room which had one bathroom down the hall, which was to be shared between several rooms - a fact which was not clearly stated in the original advertisement. I asked if we could be moved, but was told that the entire complex was fully booked.

Having brought all of our cases to the room, we then discovered that the lock on our room door was broken, meaning that if you just pushed the door, it would open. We returned to reception, and had to wait 45 minutes to be relocated to another room.

Our new room had an en-suite, which was to be shared with another, adjoining, room. This meant that, in theory, four people had to share one shower, and our cosmetics, toothbrushes, etc., could not comfortably be left in the bathroom.

However, in spite of the fact we had been told that Corrib Village was fully booked, nobody stayed in the adjoining room, or, indeed, in the room across the hall (a room which I know to have been a double en-suite - and therefore requiring no bathroom-sharing), so all of our dashing in and out of the bathroom, for fear of being caught in a towel by a stranger, was pointless. In fact, Corrib Village was pretty empty for both nights of our stay. Having lived in Corrib Village as a student, I know what the place looks like when it is full, and it was most certainly not full, or anywhere near it. I fail to see why we weren't put in a room with a proper, non-sharing, en-suite.

In any event, on the first evening of our stay, we went out for about an hour, and when we returned, our key cards would not work. In torrential rain, we returned to reception, and had to be re-admitted to our room by a security guard. This happened again on the following afternoon (again in the rain), and a third time (again in the rain) on our second night when we returned after a evening out.

The bathroom had no window, a very poor fan, and was filthy. The taps were encrusted with limescale and dirt, there was mildew on the walls. The shower head was full of limescale, and the water trickled out of it.

In the bedroom, the pillows were hard, the place was generally a little shabby, and the shelves in the bedroom were covered in burn-marks from candles.

I appreciate that this is student accommodation during term, but there is no excuse for not cleaning it properly. The situation with the key-cards and broken locks is just ridiculous.

There is a courtesy bus into the city once an hour during the day, but otherwise, a taxi will cost you about €12, or you can make the 35-minute walk into the city (minimum - after a few drinks, it has been known to take people 1.5 hours!).

All in all, I would not recommend Corrib Village, unless you are really stuck for accommodation, and don't mind roughing it. Given the cost of transport when the courtesy bus is not available, you might be better advised to use the money to get somewhere more central, cleaner, and better serviced.

Room Tip: Rooms near reception are the farthest from town. During the summer, if you are staying in a room nea...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank DaisyDuke1975
Dear Trip Advisor member
Many thanks for taking the time to review Corrib Village.
I was disappointed to learn that we fell short on some aspects of your stay and I have initiated a full investigation. You appear to have been allocated a “shared bathroom” apartment rather than an “en-suite” apartment which was your preference and I would be anxious to discuss your stay with us in person, to ensure that I can investigate it fully and ensure that staff re-training may be carried out as required. At Corrib Village we are totally committed to excellent Customer Service and providing affordable clean accommodation that is good value for money to all of our customers and unfortunately we appear to have failed in this instance.
As you mentioned, we do indeed offer a courtesy bus service to and from Galway City centre. Following customer feedback I am delighted to advise that we have now extended these hours at weekends and run our courtesy bus service from 10.00am – 8.00pm Saturday & Sunday and from 12 noon – 8.00pm Monday - Friday.
I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in person with you, if you wish to do so please contact me at +353 (91) 527112 or email me at roisin@corribvillage.com