“Not worth the money”

Corrib Haven Guest House
Ranked #160 of 188 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 3, 2012

This is the reason the tourist industry in Ireland is doing badly. When B&B owners complain that business is bad, they only have themselves to blame. I consider 75 euro for staying in somebody's front bedroom to be exorbitant in the current economic climate. Room was clean and it was a roof over your head. But it's no hotel - you are never under any illusions that you are not staying in somebody's house. Fair enough - maybe that's the charm of a B&B but the price should reflect the actuality. The bed was uncomfortable, the sheets were staticy, the room was tiny, you can hear everyone else moving around the house and in particular when the front door opens and people come in late, and you have a superb view of a housing estate. Oh, it's also nowhere near the centre of town. If it was your aunt you were staying with you would put up with it. But really - unless there is nothing else available, I wouldn't seek this out. Average. Pricey.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Uatstau
There are newer reviews for Corrib Haven Guest House

Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights and was quite happy to have done so. As I was visiting the nearby NUIG, my main criteria were location and price. The location was perfect - less than a 5 minute walk to the campus I was visiting - and the price was very good too.

For my stay, I had a downstairs bedroom between the breakfast room, the lounge and the driveway. For all that it was quiet enough. I didn't use the lounge but there was a microwave and tea/coffee making facility, along with a large flat screen tv with satellite tv, and a few sofas / chairs from which to enjoy it.

I arrived late on the first night and that was no problem - I was welcomed warmly and shown to my room promptly. Room was exactly what I needed - bed, TV, place to store clothes, tea / coffee making facility and ensuite shower room / toilet. Bed was fine - not the best mattress in the world but certainly not uncomfortable by any stretch. Shower took a small while to get warm in the mornings but its a big building and the hot water tank is probably a good distance away. When it got going though there was lots of hot water and the thermostatically-controlled shower was lovely.

Breakfast consisted of a choice of help-yourself-to juice, cereals, fruit & yoghurt, followed by tea/coffee and a choice of cooked breakfasts. These were promptly served with toast and brown sode bread and tasted pretty nice - really set me up for the day. The only thing at breakfast that I thought could be improved was that I was called "Sir" - some people like the formality and it is of course difficult when you have different people staying every day. But I just prefer staying in a place where your name is known and remembered and you're called by that - I always think you end up feeling more like a guest than a customer, and its the difference between a B&B and a more impersonal hotel. But that's just a small thing and is purely individual preference.

When I was leaving I had the option of paying by cash or by card - always helpful - and I was left with the feeling that if I were back in this area of town again I'd certainly call for a room here first. (Actually I did a few nights later but unfortunately they were full). I noticed a lot of information about things to do in the area - useful for visitors to help plan their visits.

I really couldn't fault Corrib Haven and I'd recommend this B&B to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We had a nice room with a very comfortable bed. The room was clean with very soft, new towels. The owners were helpful and accommodating and the breakfast was sufficient and tasty. We had wifi available in the downstairs lounge but couldn't access it in our room. The location was quiet with sufficient parking. We would consider a return visit.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2011

With the promise of luxurious and a big price tag it was all the more disappointing. Towels shabby,bedside lamp not working,bathroom badly needed a really good clean ( down front of sink...all around the floor...sink hole itself!!) breakfast not cooked properly..sausages pale and uninviting..home made brownbread????Not!! so why say it?...chairs in dining room grubby...Look I just wont keep going except to ask ..Where is there a good Bed and Breakfast experience??

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2010

Tom and Angela are the perfect hosts! Great location and probably the friendliest Guest House in Ireland. We felt so very comfortable in every way. Breakfast was one of the best we had while in Ireland (3 week stay). Highly, highly recommend Corrib Haven.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2009

Advertised as having WIFI, didn’t manage once to get it working. Only advise from the owner was that it doesn’t work for any laptop.

2 out of 3 mornings cold showers... even after resetting the boiler and waiting 30 minutes the water remained cold.

Rooms average but clean... Towels very old and nearly falling apart.

Plus point... Rooms had flat screen TV with Sky channels.

Overall, I found that the price (€45 per person) is far too high for what you get...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2009

We stayed at the Corrib Haven guesthouse for one night on a week long trip around Ireland. We were delighted with the B & B from the moment we turned into the drive. It is a lovely ivy covered stone building with a pond and garden in the front. We were greeted by the owner, Mrs. Angela Hillary, who offered us each a glass of wine as she informed us some details about the lodge, such as breakfast time, bus schedules into Galway and nearby restaurants. There is a tea room adjacent to the front desk, which is available for use at all times, and the garden is also a wonderful place to spend time. We had two rooms reserved for the night, and they were both very nicely decorated and comfortable. Breakfast was wonderful, with service at the table and choice of all the components of a traditional Irish fry. etc. I would definitely recommend this guesthouse to others, and hope that I have the opportunity to stay here again someday.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family