“Go elsewhere for food” 3 of 5 bubbles

Eyre Square Hotel
Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in Galway
“Go elsewhere for food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

A one night stay and a pretty awful Place to to try and pull up outside and unload. They have a discount with the nearby Q Park car park but I if have a lot of stuff in your car then a walk to to the hotel with your gear. Rooms are clean enough but as usual a so gle business traveller is given a small room opposite a busy bar and convenience store.

Food in the bar: pretty average fayre and I suppose what you should expect at this price hotel. Seafood chowder with soda bread, passable but perhaps a bit tepid. The chicken fillet burger, burnt bun, burnt chicken, far too much in melted grated
Cheese and too much mayo and and underdone French fries. Not good. Long drive, long tiring day and too tired to complain. Left here and went to The Quays for something to eat. Next visit in eight weeks will be somewhere else in Galway

• Stayed September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

Great location quite expensive for what you get presume you pay for the location. Our bathroom door got stuck and we had to call maintenance who were quick on the job. Facilities In The room we're below what we would expect. Residents bar shuts when the barn decides with no notice for last orders. Wouldn't stay again unless I got it for half the price.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank frjackhackett
Hampshire UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

If you're a tourist wanting a genuine Irish experience, stick to the welcome of the B&Bs. If you're part of a group going to Galway for a hen or stag experience and want the anonymity of an impersonal hotel, stay here.

Good things - the receptionist was lovely but it's obvious she is about to go on maternity leave. Best wishes to her, the hotel will be the worse off without her welcoming smile. The room was clean but very tired looking.

Bad things - thin walls, night club in the basement, bus station next door, an engine sounding noise that starts up in the middle of the night and doesn't let up, loud banging doors.

The doors have no self closers on them and all need a firm pull/push to shut properly. This means that whenever someone comes in or goes out they have to really bang their door. When a group comes in at 4.30am this sounds like a bad percussion set.

Despite being on the 4th/top floor the bass beat from the night club in the basement comes right up the walls and reverberates through the headboard. My boyfriend and I are both heavy sleepers but had two sleepless nights here.

After a particularly noisy Saturday night I complained to the manager who said that if I'd rung down he would have had the music turned down but went on to say that the night club is not part of the hotel and so despite having the guests in their best interest they have no control over it.

On checking out we asked what discount was available for the inconvenience the receptionist said she would need to call the manager. I explained I had already talked to the manager and he had offered no apology nor compensation I needed to go higher than that. She said she would have someone contact us but I doubt we will ever hear from them again. They have our money and a very profitable night club income.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Galway hotels

Milan, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

I had the misfortune of arriving late in Galway during Derby weekend and considered myself lucky to find the last room in the Eyre Hotel for EUR 150..."a special rate" i was told. The room was located on the first floor and the windows were open to the extremely noisy street and booming music of the bar across. I went to close the windows and found the inside sill covered in cigarette ashes. There was a stench of stale beer and cigarette smoke that became almost stifling when the windows were closed. The room contained 2 haphazardly placed large chairs, both covered in stains. The locks on the door were flimsy and the walls thin. The sheets and bathroom were clean so I cut my losses and went to bed. I asked to speak with the manager the next morning to complain about the condition of the room and ask at least for a discount on my parking. The manager showed up with a stained shirt, nervous and sweaty, and refused to give me his last name, let alone a discount. The girl at the front desk proudly told me she had quit and it was her last day. My stay at the Eyre was the lowest point of my otherwise beautiful 10-day visit to Ireland.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank David C
meath
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

had a great weekend in galway with gang of friends staying at this hotel. the rooms are basic but clean, good breakfast served by friendly staff, good pint of guinness in the spacious bar.
the hotel couldn't be better located, its right beside train/bus station. eyre square, bars restaurants shops outside hotel door,what more could you ask for,its a decent enough
hotel place to stay for that fun weekend in galway.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the station side.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank meathone
Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We booked dinner here recently having purchased a voucher from LivingSocial deals. On arrival at the restaurant we were offered at table just inside the open doors of the room - we asked whether there was anywhere else available for us to sit (there was only one other couple dining in the room) but Dan the duty manager advised that there was no other table made up and we would have to sit there. Bad start. Our voucher included 2 starters, 2 mains and 2 desserts with 2 glasses of wine. We asked the waitress whether we could please substitute one of the glasses of wine for a pint for my non-wine drinking husband and she went off to ask whether she could do this. Dan, (again) deemed that this could not be permitted. They did offer us a soft drink in substitution. We had already purchased a drink at the bar when we arrived for dinner, and were going off somewhere else afterwards, so I did not want 2 glasses of wine myself, so had one and did not order another. The meal was very nice, large starters and delicious mains. The waitress was attentive and helpful. The restaurant did lack atmosphere as the other couple left shortly after we arrived so we dined in an empty room. We were disappointed with the lack of co-operation from the duty manager to make this a memorable experience for us. Surely the idea of an establishment like the Eyre Square Hotel taking a big hit on the cost of a meal for two by using heavily discounted coupons is to attract new custom to somewhere one might not traditionally think of going for a meal? Whereas we loved our meal, and the hotel bar might have persuaded us to go back for a drink and a meal as it has a lovely ambience, the lack of respect or care on the part of the management left us with a sour taste in our mouth. We live in Galway and eat out about 3 times a week and are always looking to expand our culinary horizons and always looking for somewhere in town to take our friends and visiting relatives. Unfortunately, that won't be the Eyre Square Hotel - which is a shame really, considering that the food was excellent. We are marking the service as poor, not because of the waitress, who did all she could, but because of the management. Anywhere that makes you apprehensive before the meal even starts is not the kind of place I want to be.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GalwayGirlAtHome
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Me and a group of my friends booked our room over the phone and asked for 3 tripple rooms but they told us the only had double and when we arrived we were all put in tripple rooms.. im guessing this was an excuse to get more money out of us.

There was also no bibles in any of mine or my friends rooms.

Great location we could walk anywhere.

I would stay here again, ill just know the situation with the room the next time.

Also if your looking for a quiet nights sleep this hotel's location is perfect for the weekend drinking session, so it wouldnt be a good idea to stay here on a friday/saturday night if you need your sleep. :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends