“Worth it!”

Ranked #41 of 197 Galway B&B and Inns
HeyMIKI
“Worth it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2010

Property is a Guest house, which is defined as a bed and breakfast with more than 8 rooms by Galway, Ireland tourist office. This is a Bed and Breakfast. And a good one. The room ( #12) was clean upon arrival and had a double and a single bed, which was great for my 18 year old daughter and myself. Price was 70 euro. Plenty of room to move around with a t.v., wardrobe closet, vanity table with a chair and many other homey amenities. The bathroom was spacious, apart from the shower, which was tiny. (However, this is pretty standard for B&B's in Ireland/Europe--I stayed at the Prague B&B down the road a few years ago and it was the same size.) There is a coffee/tea station in the hallway, that is accessible 24 hours a day and an ironing board for use. The house is three stories and adjacent to a park and very quiet. Wi-fi in the rooms.

Breakfast was delicious and made to order. Full hot Irish plus cereals and yummy fresh fruit, yogurt and juices available too. (see pic) Breakfast is served 8-10am, however, our first morning there was nothing available until 8:20. It didn't delay us, but it did some other guests that were staying here.

The only thing to be warned about is the hostess herself. She can be warm and friendly then suddenly strikingly odd and aloof. I couldn't make sense of it. But, all and all, it didn't impact my stay.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank HeyMIKI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

Adare was the one place I had NOT booked in advance for my May trip to Ireland. I ended up arriving in Galway 2 days earlier than I planned, so I stopped at the Tourist Info centre and they researched availability for me. Adare was the closest guesthouse/B&B to the downtown area where I wanted to be that had availability for the 2 nights I was there. Though it was slightly more expensive than most other places I stayed at, I was still happy enough to find it at the last moment like that. Being a guesthouse, it was not as personal as the B&B's of course, but I found the service quite adequate. I was very pleasantly greeted on arrival, the lady (whose name I believe was Grania, but that may not be correct.....) helped carry my bags to my room, and though I was traveling alone, she offered me a larger room as it was available at the time. The room was very comfortable - nicely decorated, clean, and quiet. The bathroom was quite clean as well. (I was surprised to read some of the prior reviews when I checked in here to post my review - I'm very fussy about cleanliness and I had no problems with this guesthouse at all - felt quite comfortable there). Breakfast was good, service was friendly, and she did help me out with onward travel arrangements - I didn't ask, she had asked me where I was going and when I told her and we got to talking, she volunteered to make some adjustments which made things easier for me - very nice and totally above expectations. Oh, and the location is perfect - a nice walking distance to the shops and restaurants. I'd stay there again! and I'd recommend it to friends!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank mikkitango
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2010

The Adare is fantastically located -adjacent to town yet perfectly quiet. I had single occupancy of a double room, which was really spacious. The whole place is impeccably clean and the breakfast menu is astoundingly varied, with very fast and pleasant service. I look forward to another visit.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2009

The location of this B&B is probably the most positive thing I can say about this place. It is just a hop, skip and a jump to all of the restaurants, pubs, and shopping area. The decor was OK. The room seemed clean, but I just didn't feel cozy or comfortable in this room. The bed was ok. The bathroom definitely needed to be remodeled. There was a small shower door that barely protected the water from seeping onto the floor. The toilet had the style from another century, and the tiles were somewhat decent. The breakfast was ok and the person who who gave me breakfast (didn't get her name) was generally nice, but didn't seem very welcoming. To be fair, I will assume that she was just too busy making the breakfasts to offer any advice. I am not sure why this place was recommended by Frommer's because this is generally an average B&B with no frills.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank virginnygal
Boston, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

Apparently, it was "Race Week," which somehow justified charging $130 euro for a sub-par room. The shower grout and walls were covered in pink mold. No toiletries were provided. Instead, you were expected to use the small used soap bars from the previous guests, which were graciously left in both the shower and at the sink.

The room wasn't overly filthy, but it seemed like it was was merely straightened up before our arrival as opposed to cleaned. There was a 2-Liter bottle of Still Water in the room. Upon inspection, it had been opened and refilled. The label stated expiration June 2009, and "Refrigerate upon opening, use within 3 days."

The Guest House refused to let us to cancel our reservations though we gave more than 48 hours notice due to "Race Week."

Breakfast was mediocre. In fact, three other tables that arrived after we did were served before us (we were never rude or had verbalized our disappointment in the hotel) The tea service located in the hallway was filthy. All the cups, spoons and plates were used and dirty.

The location is fabulous for Galway, but I truly believe the hotel is riding on the laurels of previous good reviews and books like Fodor's. It was truly disappointing. I cannot believe that so many previous guests would give this hotel such good ratings. I am baffled.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank YellowLab123
North Coast California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2009

Watch out for this place. They rented us a room with a broken bed which they knew was broken because they had shored up the mattress with pillows. When we complained the next morning they would not fix the broken box spring, but offered us a way inferior room for the same 90 euros.
We asked if we could do laundry and the owners daughter said we could; we assumed this would be gratis( no charge). On leaving, another woman, the manager I suppose, demanded that we pay 30 euros for using the laundry room. My girlfriend vigorously objected, and, in the interest of world peace, we paid 20 euros for one load of laundry.
All in all, this was the worst place we stayed at in Ireland! And, can you imagine, they are still renting room #9 with the broken bed to others!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mudcatdoyle
guapo33105
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2008

I have been to Galway City three times and every time I have stayed at the Adare. I am heading back to Galway in July of 2009 and once again I will choose to stay at the Adare. This place is hands down awesome. The rooms are a great size, the family the runs the place couldn't be a better host, and as others have stated the breakfast in unbelievable.

Add to all of that the location is great with one of the coolest pubs (Monroe's) just a few steps away and one of the best pubs in Ireland (The Quays) not too far either.

The Adare is great and I wouldn't let anyone head to Galway without staying there.

• Liked — Location, Food, Hosts
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends