“I cannot believe this place was recommended by this website and Fodor's.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Adare Guesthouse

and 1 more site!
Adare Guesthouse
Ranked #40 of 197 Galway B&B and Inns
Boston, MA
“I cannot believe this place was recommended by this website and Fodor's.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

Apparently, it was "Race Week," which somehow justified charging $130 euro for a sub-par room. The shower grout and walls were covered in pink mold. No toiletries were provided. Instead, you were expected to use the small used soap bars from the previous guests, which were graciously left in both the shower and at the sink.

The room wasn't overly filthy, but it seemed like it was was merely straightened up before our arrival as opposed to cleaned. There was a 2-Liter bottle of Still Water in the room. Upon inspection, it had been opened and refilled. The label stated expiration June 2009, and "Refrigerate upon opening, use within 3 days."

The Guest House refused to let us to cancel our reservations though we gave more than 48 hours notice due to "Race Week."

Breakfast was mediocre. In fact, three other tables that arrived after we did were served before us (we were never rude or had verbalized our disappointment in the hotel) The tea service located in the hallway was filthy. All the cups, spoons and plates were used and dirty.

The location is fabulous for Galway, but I truly believe the hotel is riding on the laurels of previous good reviews and books like Fodor's. It was truly disappointing. I cannot believe that so many previous guests would give this hotel such good ratings. I am baffled.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank YellowLab123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
North Coast California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2009

Watch out for this place. They rented us a room with a broken bed which they knew was broken because they had shored up the mattress with pillows. When we complained the next morning they would not fix the broken box spring, but offered us a way inferior room for the same 90 euros.
We asked if we could do laundry and the owners daughter said we could; we assumed this would be gratis( no charge). On leaving, another woman, the manager I suppose, demanded that we pay 30 euros for using the laundry room. My girlfriend vigorously objected, and, in the interest of world peace, we paid 20 euros for one load of laundry.
All in all, this was the worst place we stayed at in Ireland! And, can you imagine, they are still renting room #9 with the broken bed to others!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mudcatdoyle
guapo33105
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2008

I have been to Galway City three times and every time I have stayed at the Adare. I am heading back to Galway in July of 2009 and once again I will choose to stay at the Adare. This place is hands down awesome. The rooms are a great size, the family the runs the place couldn't be a better host, and as others have stated the breakfast in unbelievable.

Add to all of that the location is great with one of the coolest pubs (Monroe's) just a few steps away and one of the best pubs in Ireland (The Quays) not too far either.

The Adare is great and I wouldn't let anyone head to Galway without staying there.

• Liked — Location, Food, Hosts
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
      Check in / front desk
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2007

We spent three nights here in late June (me, my husband and 14 y.o. son) and booked two rooms. Overall, I found the place to be clean and well kept, however, some renovations are in order. The shower in our bathroom was in definite need of a re-grout and tiling. Also, the water would never turn completely off. My husband's biggest complaint was that the t.v. remote was broken (back cover missing, covered in tape) and he frequently was unable to turn the channel. Nonetheless, both rooms were a good size.

The best part was breakfast. All of the hot food was prepared to order and was delicious. My son loved the pancakes and ordered them all three mornings. My husband loved the bagel with salmon. The woman who prepared our breakfast (whose name I didn't catch) was friendly and chatty. However, the other woman who worked there (maybe the owner) was a bit cool. She wasn't rude at all, but she just didn't give off a friendly vibe.

We did find this place to be more expensive than other B&B's. My son's room was 70 Euro (single), and my husband and I paid 55 Euros each for our double room per night. I definitely thought the 70 Euros for a single was steep. Several other places I called (that were all full) only quoted around 55 Euros for a single and 45 for a double. So, definitely shop around.

Also, the place is a bit tricky to find. Once you are in the city center of Galway, follow the signs for Salthill. You'll pass Jury's Inn on your right and then cross a bridge. A short distance after that will be a park on your right. Adare is basically adjacent to the park, but you have to drive just past the park and take a right onto Father Griffin Place, which is not well marked. Look for the pharmacy (green cross). The driveway for Adare is immediately after the pharmacy. If you see a grocery store on your left, then you've gone too far.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
3 Thank DeMilo413
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2006

The best thing about this place was its location, just a short walk to the center of town. The room felt cramped because there was an extra bed (guess it was a "family" room), and the bathroom, especially the shower, were pretty tight/uncomfortable. Significant road noise with window open, but fine when closed. Free parking was great. As someone below mentioned, don't order the pancakes as they are served with raw batter! I got the oatmeal one day and that was better.

All in all, not a bad place to stay, but you can probably do better for the price.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank Sadie101
Oklahoma City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2006

Stayed two nights the first week in February. Our room was comfortable, and the breakfast was very good. It's more like a small Inn. Grianne was very personable and helped us out with booking a bus tour to Connemara. The location was perfect! About two blocks to Quay street over the bridge, and even closer to Dominick Street and the pubs there. I would stay here again!

• Stayed February 2006
4 Thank LicensetoChill
Worldwide
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2006

I was sorely disappointed with our stay at the Adare Guesthouse. Although the location is very close to the center of town (about a 5/10 minute walk), it was certainly not worth the price we paid for it.

As other reviewers have mentioned on this site, it was the most expensive B&B we stayed at in Ireland.

At first glance, the hotel was "nice", but this impression soon faded when the person who greeted us at the door looked and acted more like a sullen teenager than a hotel manager. It was no better when we left - when we asked if she could book a taxi to the train station for us, she acted as if we had asked her to go completely our of her way for us.

Further, I could not get the TV to work or the window in our room to close. Which allowed in the dual irritations of cold and traffic noise. Not that we spent a lot of time in our room, but it was not the nicest thing to come back to either.

As for the infamous breakfast, my pancakes were still raw batter in the middle when they were served to me. My reward for asking if they could be slightly more cooked? Burnt pancakes.

We stayed at much cheaper B&Bs in Ireland, where the decor was a bit more homely, but the proprietors were genuinely friendly. Save your money for a different B&B - Galway is a lovely city and I'm sure there are much nicer places to stay!

• Stayed July 2005