All reviewseyre squaregreat locationbit datedtrain stationcentral locationhotel barspent nightswould stay againaran islandsfew minutes walkirish breakfastgalway citypubsmohercliffssalthill
Reviewed November 11, 2017

Was part of a group that arrived around 9am, well before check-in time. Great Reception staff took cell phone numbers and contacted guests as rooms became available. Several were accommodated within an hour of arrival, so given the full house status in the hotel, they did a great job.
The restaurant was open only for breakfast due to renovations that had begun in the hotel. Breakfast was excellent, the buffet and Irish breakfast were very good. There were additional options on a menu.
Additional note, one of our travelers left her wallet in the restaurant the morning we departed Galway for Dublin...the waitress came out and found me to give me the wallet. It was full of USDs and Euros, and a VAT Tax Card from our brochure but no I.D. Her honesty was impressive.
Room - My room had 2 twin beds, it was clean but needs to be refreshed. The soft goods in the room were old but otherwise ok, the bed was comfortable. There was a great tea and coffee set up in each room. Good lighting in room and bath, full bath. Tiny bath soap bar; fortunately, I brought my own. Cheap bathroom amenities. Very old hair dryer, held together with tape. I'm told that all of the dryers were taped up. Very small bath towels. Complimentary bottled water and GREAT selection of television channels, by comparison to previous trips to Ireland.
Nice little hotel pub, cozy and intimate in spots, large enough to accommodate our group plus additional guest. The major downside was that no food was served and no dinner restaurant in the hotel. Guests are able to order out for delivery. There are several good restaurants and carry-out options within walking distance.
The location of The Victoria was excellent; currently, there is little curb appeal but given the face-lift it is being given, this will change. Galway is the host city for a cultural event in 2020, so as previously stated, the hotel has begun a major renovation. This hotel is a diamond in the rough and I look forward to seeing it after the renovation is complete.

Room Tip: It was quiet throughout the hotel. Though located in Eyre Square, it's away from heavy traffic
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled with friends
3  Thank Claudesta
Reviewed November 8, 2017

The staff are helpful and the location is next to the station and the aran island buses. Room was large and quiet. The only strange thing was that there was an external staircase right outside the windown so that when people used the stairs they were at head height next to the window!! So zero privacy. Don't get room 106!! Breakfast is included and is enormous. Good option.

Room Tip: Do not get room 106 unless you are an exhibitionist....People can look in.
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled solo
1  Thank mike s
Reviewed October 31, 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for my sisters 21st and have to say wasn't impressed,rooms badly need updating, smell off smoke around the hotel was disgusting, but my biggest complaint would have to be with the night porter he was an absolute disgrace with how he spoke to some of our party he paced up and down the corridor like a prison warden and treated us like his prisoners,there was only 3 of us in the room haveing a laugh and joke (no alcohol at all in rooms) and he knocked door to say other people had payed good money to stay in hotel all so and very rudely came in to my sisters face and told her he would have us all thrown out, compleatly spoiled our weekend could not wait to leave the hotel and will never return,

Stayed: October 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank carolinemyles15
Reviewed October 25, 2017

Close to Eyre Square and restaurants, pubs, shopping, music. Affordable, but uninspiring. Nothing fancy. Parking available in a garage down the street. Room was large and comfortable. Had worried a bit about proximity to train station and maintenance yard behind the hotel - heard them at times, but not loud or obnoxious.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kenster1001
Reviewed October 23, 2017 via mobile

Myself and my mother spent 2 nights her midweek in September, and the Victoria was suitable for what we wanted. Good location, 1 minute from Eyre Square, but not particularly noisy. There was only socket in our room, which was a bit annoying. It was clean, with nice sized rooms and good breakfast. My mother works as a hotel manager and she was trying to be picky about cleanliness, but couldn’t find anything to fault. One thing I’ll say is that the parking is not free and not on site, which was not clear from when we spoke to a receptionist prior to booking. Not a major issue, but something to note. The staff were very friendly. The bar was quiet, but that could be put down to being there mid week. I’d recommend staying here.

Stayed: September 2017, traveled with family