“Very nice and good location”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #36 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Very nice hotel and a pretty good location. We came in from Dublin by train and the station is only a couple of blocks away. Also not a long walk to get to the Spanish Quarter. Room was good size. My only problem was with the TV. Old and couldn’t get all channels. Nice pub too. Reception was very helpful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sushi3

Reviewed November 5, 2012

There is no denying that this is a very well located hotel, were it not; it would get a "POOR" rating from my wife and me. On arrival I was disappointed to discover there was no parking at the hotel, it didn't help that the reception staff seemed to care little for my discomfort, indeed the reception staff left a lot to be desired, but enough about that. The room was small and basic but that didn't matter to us, however the fact that it was cold most certainly did. The highlight of our stay was definitely the breakfast. Served by a most pleasant young lady the food was plentiful and well cooked. Would I go back? The location makes up for some inadequacies, but surely in this day and age a bedroom should not be cold, and a smiling receptionist can't be too much to ask for. Probably won't be back..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed here for three nights in October. While the room was fine, clean and comfortable, the t.v. was old with a limited channel choice. I had the cooked breakfast each morning and the scrambled eggs were particularly good, but otherwise I would rate this hotel as average. The location hotel is its chief attraction, it is very central, just off Eyre Square, but the overall feel is a bit impersonal with the bar being particularly dull.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

We had stayed at this hotel previously do knew what to expect. This time around we got a great rate so were pleased to stay again. Hotel location is second to none, it's right on eyre square so shopping , dining out etc is not a problem. Parking is at a near by multi story and is good value. Rooms are basic and clean. Breakfast was ok - much smaller portions for the cooked breakfast than the last time we stayed but the buffet is decent. We would definitely stay again next time we are in galway

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Leona C
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I used this Hotel for a week as I explored Galway. It is very central and I enjoyed a good room.
The central location meant visiting the Tourist attractions I had planned was made easy. It was a 5 minute walk from the Bus station where the Dublin to Galway bus dropped me off.

Location/Getting There: Victoria Place, off Eyre Square. From the Bus station walk out the Bus Station and there is a Tourist information office opposite you. Walk towards it and you are on Forster Street. Walk down Forster Street to it's end where it intersects with Victoria Place. Turn left and the Hotel is a minute's walk. Total walking time was 5 to 6 minutes.

There are plenty of shops nearby and Tourist information offices. The Aran Island Shuttle Bus stop is almost directly outside the Hotel, and Ferry tickets are sold from the Ferry Office just by the Hotel. There is a supermarket inside the nearby underground shopping centre. There are plenty of souvenir shops within walking distance.

The room was very good with good facilities and was well looked after. I used the Hotel as a base from which to explore and sightsee around Galway City. It's location allowed me to walk to many of the tourist attractions. The Tourist information office by the bus station has a lot of good information, with helpful staff.
Hotel staff were polite and helpful. My room's cost was not cheap, but it was of a high standard.
Would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Azza80
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I had no problems at all here - booked a single and got a twin. Room lovely and toasty, very clean and lots of room. Yes, the telly wasn't a flat screen, but that had no impact at all on my visit.

Breakfast ok - cooked breakfast for those that wanted it, Marmite and or cheese would have been good for the toast (for the non meat eaters) but fresh fruit juice and a good selection of cereals, yoghurts etc.

Staff were all very pleasant and the location really is excellent. 2 mins from the train/bus station and you are right in the centre of town. I was on the 4th floor and had no issues at all with any noise.

I have to mention that I saw The Undertones play on the Saturday night, and they were absolutely fantastic!! Part of the soundtrack of my youth. Go see them!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kathleen37
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I found the lobby and bar area of the Victoria to be charming and it is located right off the square, so the location is ideal. No parking on-site, but a good deal with a near-by lot. The room was a little stale and smelled faintly of smoke (and had an ash tray in it- we're non smokers) so that was a little of a turn off. The room needed some updates but the bathroom was decent and had a nice tub. However, there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom or room, so if you took a hot shower there was a ton of humidity. Our room looked into the fire stairwell.....womp. And there was some sort of party Saturday night and man was it LOUD! Granted, its a city (I live in a city so I am used to noise) but this sounded like the hotel was hosting a party right on top of our room. However, Sunday night was much quieter and a good night's sleep was had.
I paid a reasonable rate for this hotel, so I am not terribly upset, although there could have been some upgrades over the years. However, the location is nice and staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Dont accept room 108- terrible view (see pic)