All reviews eyre square great location bit dated train station central location hotel bar spent nights would stay again aran islands few minutes walk irish breakfast galway city pubs moher cliffs salthill
Reviewed July 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed here three nights and the price was good. The beds were kind of hard, but okay. If you have a bad back this might not be the best hotel for you.The room had a decent bath tub which was nice. Large room, hot water kettle and tea/coffee provided, no fridge. This looks like it was once a really nice hotel back in the day--maybe the 1940's/1950's? But now it has gone to a budget hotel. There was a cigarette burn in the bedspread. It is what it is.

However, I'd stay here again in a heartbeat because of the location and the accommodating staff. It is located right around the corner from the Aran Islands ferry ticket office, and the shuttle bus to the ferry dock picks you up right outside the front door of the hotel. In addition, it is two blocks from the train station, three blocks from the Budget Rent A Car that we dropped our car off at, and in walking distance from the Latin Quarter and all the shopping, internet cafe, and restaurants.

We originally planned for two nights here, and then two nights in the Aran Islands, and then train back to Dublin. However, my husband got the stomach flu and was violently ill the night before we had to check out and all day the following day. The lady at the front desk booked us another night, suggested a type of medicine from the pharmacy, and let me use the front desk phone to call the B&B in the Aran Islands and let them know we wouldn't be able to make it that night. I was able to go to the Ferry office around the corner and they changed my ferry reservation to the next morning with no hassle or charge. My husband recovered by the following day and we went to the Aran Islands, with the ferry shuttle bus conveniently parked right outside the hotel. When we came back, we were dropped off in the same location and were able to walk three blocks to the train station. We had heavy packs so this couldn't have been more ideal.

We had the continental breakfast twice. It was okay, except they didn't have real butter, just this margarine spread stuff. It was the only place in Ireland that we ate at that didn't serve real butter. We had a great breakfast in Eyre square at a little coffee shop on the corner near the shopping street.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights with my daughter 23/24 June...nice big room, lovely comfy bed, very clean, friendly staff...great location just off Eyre square...only a few minutes walk to shop street /bars and restaurants....had a fabulous meal in a restaurant called gemelles on quay street, just up from jury's inn..3 courses for €25 and a bottle of wine for €15..It was the best food we had on our 4 day break to Dublin and Galway

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank frankietfm
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Six of us (3 couples) stay at The Victoria at the weekend.Nice hotel in a great location.Staff were very nice and a rooms clean and simple.We Girls shopped all day Saturday making drops back to the hotel as it is so central.The Lads watched the Rugby in the hotel bar and had Steaks.They said they were really Good.Breakfast was nice both mornings with good service.Nice Coffee!!
Over all good value for money.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank George C
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Stayed at this hotel over the past two nights. From the moment, I arrived, the front desk team were very welcoming and truly professional. Our room was wonderful and cosy and everything was as it should be in a three star hotel. Breakfast had a great choice and lots to offer. If you are looking for a nice hotel with all the traditional services, this hotel is worth checking out.

Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank C C
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We arrived at the hotel on the friday and we had to pay up front before seeing our room which I found to be very strange, it is like something that only happens in a kip in a dingy hotel on times square, the receptionist was only short of saying you have 10 mins to see the room and decide if you want to stay or not. In this case I wish she had. We got to our room and I was choking and gagging with the stench of smoke. The walls were stained yellow and the room was filthy. We checked the bed for stains and it looked fine, so we rang down to reception regarding the smell but they had nowhere else to put us, so with put up and shut up. We went for breakfast the next morning and it was a very mean breakfast, it was freezing cold and the waitress although seemed really lovely she could not understand a word of english. Upon leaving the receptionists manner was the most uncalled for unprofessional and disgusting condenscending arrogance she should never have been put in front of house as she has left me with a very bad opinion of the hotel. I will never be returning to this hotel of horror ever again........ oh the location was great

Room Tip: Dont stay on the first floor and not much further up as the lift takes a long time to get to the 4th floor
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends