“Well run hostel in heart of Galway”

Kinlay Hostel Galway
Ranked #1 of 54 Specialty Lodging in Galway
Henderson, Nevada
“Well run hostel in heart of Galway”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed in a 4 bed ensuite for 2 nights. Room was comfortable/clean, only gripe was the shower...push shower only with no hot/cold adjustment...water trickled out, and was either scalding hot or ice cold. Staff was very nice, building very secure at night. 5 minute walk through eyre square to the medieval quarter with all the great pubs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This hostel would be amazing if the staff weren’t so rude. Clean rooms, clean kitchen, great social area... but just really rude staff, unfortunately I don’t think I’d stay here again because of that. On the other hand, if you can avoid them, then this is a great hostel – close to the shops, public transport, bars, etc.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Frank O, General Manager at Kinlay Hostel Galway, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review. I am very disappointed that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. I greatly appreciate all your positive comments but am sad that you had a poor experience with our staff. Our staff normally get outstanding praise from everyone, and just last month won a HostelBookers award for Highest Rated Staff in Ireland! But of course, like anyone, we do make the odd mistake and obviously we dropped the ball for a second here. I have spoken to our staff about your comments, and everyone remembers you as being a very nice friendly person so I fully accept your comments are genuine. If there was a particular issue which occurred during your stay, or a particular staff member who you found less than friendly I would be so grateful if you could drop me a line to frank@kinlaygalway.ie and fill me in on anything you wish to add. Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Frank O'Connell
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This great Hostel is located in the heart of Galway, right on the edge of Eyre square, with everything you need or want to see in Galway just minutes away.
I've stayed at several other hostels in Galway, but Kinlay was by far the best

The hostel is bright, newly refurbished, and modern, with a big kitchen, and anice common area,with a lot of space and nice murals on the wall.
There aren't any opening or closing times for the common area, so unlike the Kinlay in Cork or Barnacles in Galway, you can actually use it before 11am/after 11pm.

The Kitchen is nice, functional and clean, but most importantly operational. In some other hostels in the city, I had the problem that out of the 4 stoves, only one was working, which is abit inconvinient if more than one person is trying to cook.
There is also enough space to eat.

The rooms are clean, bright and the beds are actually comfortabel for a hostel.

What really sets the hostel apart though, is its great staff: They are always friendly, helpfull and know their city and its little secrets by heart.

I stayed at Kinlay twice this year, and when I arrived for my second stay, I was surprised to see that the receptionists actually remebered me and greeted me by name.
Something very rare, given the amount of people staying there and definitely something that makes you feel welcome and keeps you coming back :)

Room Tip: All of the are good.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This hostel is amazing! Probably one of the best I've ever stayed at! I stayed in a 6-bed ensuite for 4 nights. This hostel is conveniently located right around the corner from the bus station and a 5 minute walk from all the bars/restaurants. There's free wifi which reaches into the room and 3 computers in the lobby. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. Everything is really new. The breakfast is decent: cereal, toast, scones, jam, tea and coffee. I only have two minor gripes: 1) you can't get into the kitchen to make your own food when breakfast is being served and 2) the only separation between the shower and toilet in the ensuite rooms is a shower curtain which means the floor gets flooded.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed there in October 2012. I was on a stag with a load of lads. Our room had four bunkbeds. Beds were very comfortable, en suite bathroom. Very clean. No towels in the room, but standard for 25-30 quid I suppose.

I left a book in the bedroom when there. Rang up two days later and it was posted immediately back. Forget the name of the chap who works at reception, but he was completely sound. Anyway couldn't recommend it highly enough.

I stay in hostels abroad, but this is phenomenol, right on Eyre Sq.

Also, we had a great session in the main room, piano, guitars- fun jamming.

Thanks again Kinlay.

Darmstadt, Germany
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Kinlay House is located directly in the city centre. The pubs and restaurants are only a few minutes walk away.
The breakfast is included and very good. There is orange and apple juice, white and brown bread, cereals, milk, scones,...
We really enjoyed our clean and comfortable room. The rooms are located in a quite area so you can be sure to sleep well.
Next to the reception there's a self-catering kitchen which is nice and very clean too. Behind the reception you can chill out with your friends or get to know other people.
It´s a super atmosphere in the hostel and the staff is very competent and friendly.
We both really recommend Kinlay House and would come back at any time!

Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed in over 50 different hotels in my years of travelling, and this one ranks in my top 10. I stayed in a 4 bed mixed ensuite room, over a weekend, and ended up extending my stay by a couple nights.

The friendly, and patient staff were very helpful despite it being a typically busy Galway weekend and always eager to answer my questions and help me organise some tours. The room was clean and spacious, and I was lucky enough to get some great roomies for the weekend. The included breakfast was basic continental and staffed. The comfortable lounge, lobby and TV room set a great atmosphere. With the hostel being on Eyre Square, the location is ideal.

My only small gripe, was with the shower in one of the rooms. The water temperature started getting too hot and there was no-way to adjust it. My roomie said there was a knack to holding down the button, but I didn't work it out. Temperature in next room's shower was fine, so all-in-all, relatively minor.

Overall, an excellent hostel.

• Stayed September 2012