“Like sleeping in a barn ”
Review of Ashford Manor

and 1 more site!
Ashford Manor
Ranked #175 of 189 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

At first glance it looked lovely! The place did have an unusual smell and the bedrooms were carpet, even the shower??? The bed was very lumpy and the heat was on so high we couldn't sleep with no way to switch off! Close to town and very handy but really needs a complete redecoration it was so outdated! The lady who runs it was so friendly and the breakfast was quality and we were treated very well, pity about the house itself as they were so kind! The infamous card machine played up just as others reported but eventually worked and we walked out promising to never return

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cathy C

Reviewed March 16, 2014

I stayed here for one night midweek and wish I had gone elsewhere. I did not think places like this still existed. From the outside it looked appealing. The inside was another matter. The room was small, as I was staying one night that did not matter. The tiny en suite was the worst I have ever seen.Ii was unable to use the shower as the shower head was tied on and would not stay upright. The smell of damp was over whelming. The pictures the other reviewer put up were accurate as it is still the same.
I had asked for the continental breakfast but was shocked by it. Dried out processed cut up cheese slices and dried gammon, a loaf of bought bread--unsliced and apples and tangerines. there was cereal available and orange juice. I had coffee which was awful. I asked for some bacon and was given 2 slices of microwaveable bacon. God help any tourist staying here as they would have a very bad impression of Irish breakfasts.
Advertised as having a bathroom with free toiletries, free tea & coffee. Toilitries consisted of the smallest sliver of soap, tea bags were loose --not quite health and safety standards.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank greenlady65
Reviewed March 9, 2014

My mum has always taught me that if you can't say anything nice. Just say nothing at all. But we would not recommend this place. Room, Bed, and bathroom grubby. Found kettle to be very dangerous no automatic switch off, very noisy with doors banging, couldn't wait to leave

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Arrived and I was told to wait outside as she wasnt ready. Place is freezen cold and smells of damp. Will only except cash!!! Floor boards move and lifting in our room. No remote control. Pulled back beds to plug in phone and the dirt was layered. Next morning we plugged out our radiator and sparks came flying out of socket!!! Not worth the money very very disappointed....

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank dribbles_9
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I booked a single room for one night in January through a recommendation of my friend who have stayed there before. I was very shocked to see all the negative comments, especially after finding out myself that it was not bad at all! That is why I decided to write a review. The room was clean and I enjoyed an egg with organic smoke salmon for breakfast. It is conveniently located and the staff were very helpful. I don't really understand why people with a negative comment are so harsh. Do they expect 5 star service from the B & B? I gurantee that you will receive service which worths the money you pay from this B&B. Don't worry!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Last minute booking really (didn't read the reviews here) - so its no wonder this place had vacancies. Looks nice from the outside and is very convenient to Eyre Square but make no mistake - this accomodation is 3rd world. Obviously, the owner must be used to living in these conditions, otherwise they should be ashamed of themselves.
No heating turned on for New Years eve night - absolutely freezing, Can you believe that? As seen from other reviewers photos, the room and ensuite show lots of signs of mildew and damp. The wind coming in from around the timber windows was incredible. This place should be condemned as a health hazard alone. Could not sleep the entire night due to awful bed, cold and being woken up by others coming and going. Walls must be made of paper. A mean breakfast (as stated in other reviews) with no white bread on offer. All this for (€60 each) €120 in a double room fpr 1 night. Disgraceful.

Room Tip: Avoid - if you want to stay healthy after staying here.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dubliner2014
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We booked into Ashford Manor at the last minute, without being able to check Trip Advisor...1st mistake..We were able to get a double room on a Saturday night for 65euro.
We checked in early.. On arrival in the room, it was more suited to only a single bed, furniture was old and needing changed. No remote for the telly. When we requested one at reception, they told us someone had stolen it a fortnight ago and they didn't have another.. so we had to stand on the chair to change channels.

There were long hairs on the duvet cover, the bed was very squeaky, comfy enough but there was no chance of a good night's sleep as the walls were so thin, we could hear people coming and going all night long, banging on other doors, bell ringing at reception, people shouting in the car park as loud as if they were in the room with us.

We had a shower the next morning in the very dark corner of the bathroom. The shower head was cracked and fell on my head. My towel had black fingerprints all over it and towels were shabby and threaded in general.

Bathroom was outdated like the room, carpet on the floor (eek!) and smelt fusty.

Breakfast was just about fair. I had the full(??) irish breakfast and my husband had watery scrambled eggs and a tiny amount of salmon (or maybe small goldfish??). This could've been overlooked if the coffee in the breakfast room hadn't been cheap instant rather than filter. Undrinkable!

On checking out, their 'new' card machine was playing up.. Having read a few other reviews since, it appears they frequently have this problem?? Seemed to prefer cash...hmm..

The only positives really with this place are that the staff are really friendly and it's an easy 5-10minute walk from Eyre Square and the centre.

Wouldn't recommend and wouldn't stay there again. It's unfortunate as some of the reviews have been written as far back as 2010 yet nothing seems to have changed. Could much better with a bit of attention and renovation!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple