“Perfect location, with small changes to be made!”
Review of Ashford Manor

and 1 more site!
Ashford Manor
Ranked #172 of 186 Galway B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Perfect location, with small changes to be made!”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We booked for 4 people at the Manor but then received a call from Corine and we were offered the penthouse at the harbor. We had to pick up the keys at the B&B and received some directions on how to find the apartment. It was not the easiest thing to do as it was pitch dark and raining, eventually we did. The locations was perfect, very close to the city center and a beautiful view, large balcony which could be very nice in summer.

The place looked amazing, huge living area with kitchen and good size rooms (1 on suit) and a separate bathroom, perfect for the four of us, beware only 1 parking place (payed 3€ for the second car for the night). We especially appreciated the two armchairs, very relaxing.
The beds were comfy (king size), nice showers, towels were provided and some soap, carpet was with spots. We planed to cook dinner, it was not the easiest as there were only 2 small saucepans and one frying pan (which was filthy so I didn't use it, this needs to be changed). In the morning I wanted to have some coffee (which was provided) but again the water boiler was unusable, so no coffee for us. We headed back to the B&B for breakfast, which was plain average but good enough.

The staff was very friendly and the manager gave us a map and explained what we could see around the area. Altogether if you are not the pickiest person you can enjoy your stay. We were quite satisfied as we wanted to have something private, some beers and a good sleep.

Thank you for the stay, we enjoyed it a lot but please change the small things as they matter as well (especially the water boiler).

Room Tip: Choose the penthouse if you don't mind spending a bit more for your privacy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Delgany
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Where do we begin....
1. Cash only taken and had to be given upon check in. Excuse that card machine was out of order!
2. Bathroom - rust marks all over radiator, mould marks behind sink and on tiles. Shower fittings discoloured, Generally unclean and unhygienic due to a very old and dated carpet with pungent smell present on floor!
3. Bedroom - Room in need of immediate modernisation, single glazed windows, unclean bed linen with stains and hair from previous guest's evident. Matress extremely uncomfortable and in need of being thrown away! Fleas evident in bed - when we were bitten all over it was time to check out at 2am! Furniture in dire need of updating.
4. Kitchen area - Short glimpse of kitchen showed us over flowing bin, dirty and greasy tiles and overall unhygienic food preparation area. The smell of grease as you entered the house was sickening.

Room Tip: Book into Jury's Galway instead and save yourself the hasstle!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Graham L

Travelers are raving about these Galway hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We were looking for cheap fun accommodation in lovely Galway... and found it here! - the atmosphere was slightly fawlty owls but truly what do you want for 70 odd Euro... ?? - Its close to town and everything - and the rooms were quite alright (maybe some people on tripadvisor only stay at the mandarinoriental when they leave their mansions but I've stayed in much worse places!! the lady running the show was exceptionally friendly and very helpful in terms of where and what to do - we drove out to the cliffs and had an amazing adventure... *there is free parking (yes its a bit tight - but if you cant get in and out of there you shouldnt be allowed on the coastal roads anyway!) - breakfast was delicious and hilarious Karim I believe her name is - was introducing all the guests to each other and we all had a jolly ol irish start to the day - anyway - I wouldnt normally write any review but I just want to balance oput some of the miserable things written - the rooms were (great (we stayed in two dif rooms having decided to stay an extra night and they were both comfortable and clean) - I'm not saying you should get a plane to Ireland just to stay here ... but it was good fun and had a great time - and felt looked after by a human rather than a travelodge robot... anyway... now i'm just gonna get on with my life...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Due to a mix up with hotel rooms I was left with booking something last minute for a stag party. Im not one to complain and usually if I end up unhappy with accommodation I take it on the chin and move on but this place brought out an anger in me that I need to vent. On being presented my room the first thing was it was tiny. An attic room that you couldnt swing a cat in, not that I would ever subject a cat to this room. First thought was "wheres the toilet". The girl who was showing me the room opened up a wardrobe which was converted into a bathroom. Even still had carpet on the floor! I dread to think how unhygienic that is. When the girl left I closed the door and thought "Ah well its only a place to rest my head, it'll do". It really didn't. I opened the actual wardrobe (which was also tiny) to put my suit carrier in only to be greeted by a full size ironing board and iron. "Ya gotta be kidding me". Had to take the board out to fit my clothes in so now I'm left with it on the floor. "Ah well" I thought, I'll have a shower and head out for a few. Towels were damp! Lucky I had a small towel with me. Next morning I wake and head down for breakfast which, to be honest was ok but only 1 Rasher, 1 egg and 4 small tiny mushrooms along with a scoop of beans 2 sausages and one piece of pudding. Toast and tea, well ya cant really fault that. Headed up for a quick nap after breakfast only to be woken twice by the staff knocking on the door. When I said "Yes" and “Hello”, no reply! Got washed, headed out. Next morning I was up with the sunrise as there is no curtain on the main window. There is on the small window above the bed but if you're a light sleeper like me you'll need complete darkness or close enough to it. On the second and last morning I spoke to the landlady about my dissatisfaction. She agreed to give me a discount. I went and got my stuff ready and headed for the door. As the credit card machine was broke I needed to give the lady my card number. I kindly asked her would my information be safe at which point she became quite hostile and unfriendly. I just left and didn't look back. I did look to the nearest patch of grass thinking “I would of been better just bring my tent”. Avoid!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank DubJay13
Campbellville, Canada
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My sister and I were booked in to stay here by Paddy Wagon Tours. We were offered the choice of two twin rooms. They were both horrible, bed linen looked grubby, the mattresses on the beds looked like rolling hills they were so lumpy, decor if you can call it that was awful. The furniture was the sort of stuff most of us would chuck out. Bathroom was small and grubby.
We left and paid out of our own pockets to stay at St. Jude's over the road which was a vast improvement.
I have alerted Paddy Wagon, hope they will refund what we paid to stay at St. Jude's. I sincerely hope they don't continue to book their clients into this place.
Lady in the office here was very pleasant. I can only guess she just works there, poor girl.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Canuck300
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and 8 month old baby stayed in this b&b! First room was so small we only just had space to set up travel cot! When I pulled back bed clothes I noticed hairs in the bed and it was clear that sheets and pillow covers were not clean! On complaint moved to a larger room which on the surface appeared to be ok but on closer inspection was also dirty! There was even a hole in the mattress!! The bathroom was also grubby couldn't wait to leave! Was afraid to let our daughter sit on the floor as god knows what she could hav picked up!! And as for breakfast the next morning all I can say is shocking couldn't even attempt to eat it!!
This guest house is over priced and a disgrace

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Cathmel
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

I very much enjoyed my stay at Ashford Manor. The staff was very helpful and they had lots of great advice of what to see... Also the great choice of different breakfast foods was nice. It is a little bit noisy though, but in our charming room under the roof we were not affected by it at all. I would go there again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends