“Lovely B&B”

Ranked #172 of 186 Galway B&B and Inns
Key West, Florida, United States
“Lovely B&B”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I, too, am not quite sure what some of the other reviewers are talking about. We had a perfectly adequate experience at Ashford Manor last weekend. Our attic bedroom was just large enough and quite toasty. Our (very clean) bathroom did have carpeting but I thought it was a nice change from cold tile floors. The shower was immaculate, full of hot water, and looked brand new. Maybe there is a huge difference between buildings? We found the hallways and breakfast room to be tidy and, while not huge, not cramped either. I admit that we are not big people and have no problem stacking our clothes on a chair or the bottom of the closet but some of these complainers seem not to know the difference between a hotel suite and a bed and breakfast.

Regarding the breakfast, it was so refreshing to be offered a choice, instead of the ubiquitous Full Irish. Our order was taken promptly and both the smoked salmon and egg combo and the pancakes were delicious. Corinne, Tom, and the breakfast aide were very pleasant and helpful. Also, the front door was indeed locked at night; our room key let us in. The soundproofing was not stellar but again, this is a house, not a hotel. Thank you for a lovely stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This "Manor" is possibly the worst place I've ever stayed. We asked to see the room on arrival and on first glance it was fine, nothing fancy but it suited as no other accommodation was available at the last minute in Galway. On closer inspection, as mentioned in previous reviews, the carpets were filthy and the rugs covering some of the worse stains, were filthy. Hairs on the bedspreads, no running water from the hot tap, no catch or lock on the bathroom door, un-aired towels, no heating, drafty hallway which rattled the door, creaking floorboards in the rooms above. We didn't hang around for the breakfast as I think, if they cannot keep the bedrooms clean, what level of hygiene can be maintained in the kitchen. I could go on but I think what I have mentioned should be enough to turn the next person off. Don't be fooled by the website. The pictures are not of this "Manor". The only positive I can mention is the location to the fabulous Galway City and all it has to offer.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Rosaleen30

Travelers are raving about these Galway hotels

Newbridge Ireland
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I recently took my family on a short holiday in Galway. We had a wonderful time and really enjoyed our stay in Ashford Mannor. The first thing we noticed was the warm reception. They were very friendly. Their service was fantastic and second to none. The rooms were very clean; and all these came at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: I only saw a family room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have just returned from 2 x nights at Ashford Manor Bed and Breakfast.
Having read Trip Advisor reports we all arrived in a state of trepidation.
My colleagues had a pleasant twin room -myself and colleague had 2 x singles with shared shower and toilet facilities. Our rooms were fine although the shower fitting had come away and the showerceiling had some mould that needed repainting.
Corinne the owner was extremely welcoming -her staff and husband very obliging and she could not do enough for us. Although somewhat small and quirky -the breakfast room was quite adequate for a 2 x night stay and breakfasts superb and always the chance of more toast or any other breakfast item if required.
I would not want to stay for a longer stay at this establishment but if ever back at the Races or requiring a night stay in Galway - wewould all stay again thanks to Corinne's warm hospitality.
Reading some of these Trip Advisor reports -I wonder if people stayed at the same establishment or what they expect for their money. I have stayed in far worse places and feel some of the detrimental comments are not what we experienced.
Jeremy Pinnock

Room Tip: Speak to Corinne the owner.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Louth
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Were do i start about this hellhole the owners call a "Manor". A group of 15 of us stayed here for two nights for the galway races.

On arrival we seen the kitchen through a small hatch they call "reception", it was absolute filth so needless to say breakfast was not had by most of the group. My aunt and uncle were given a "double" room which was hardly sufficient for one person. "The Sweatbox" would best describe this room. If that wasnt bad enough the shower was actually in the room. When you exited the shower you were standing on the carpet on what little floor was at the bottom of the bed. They obviously complained and were given a new room on the 2nd night but to make matters worse the owner had the cheek to put my pregnant friend and her husband in The Sweatbox when they arrived the 2nd day. When my friend complained she was told to find another b&b to stay in.

My brother was in triple with two friends, again a tiny room which had a glass door on bathroom. In another of the triples my friend had to sleep in an old mouldy sofa bed with damp sheets. Carpets ran right from the rooms into the bathrooms, light fittings hung off the wall, faucets were broke and the bed clothes were old, dated and stained. When voicing are complaints the owner was not very forthcoming and all together ignorant.

I would not recommend this establishment to my worst enemy and how they are still open baffles me. NEVER STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank LouLouth
Louth
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Please read all the previous negative reviews of this B&B as I can confirm that they are 100% correct.

There were 13 of us (all adults) booked in for a two night stay as we were going to the Galway Races on Saturday the 4th of August so we did expect to pay a little over the odds, but this B&B was nothing short of a rip off. Their website is a fine example of false advertising. The rooms were nothing like the pictures. They claim to have a wine bar but this turned out to be a wine rack. They are allocating double and triple rooms that are not big enough for capacity. They put two of our group in was clearly a room for one person. The shower was in the bedroom for god’s sake!?! Photos to follow.

Upon arrival the check in desk overlooked the messy, dilapidated kitchen so my mind was already made up that I would skip breakfast.

I was then lead to our triple room that was in an annex building across a courtyard. It was filthy. The worn baby blue carpet was like a splatter painting of stains. They had throw rugs covering the open areas to hide the really bad stains but it’s not working. We still know the carpet is rank!

The door to the mouldy en suite did not close tight. The hot water faucet did not work so I had to take the shower head and put it in the sink for hot water to wash my face. I did not use the shower during my stay as I was afraid of what I would catch from it.

My friends that were staying in the room next to me had carpet all the way into the en suite. A customer on Trip Advisor complained about the carpet in the bathroom in 2005!?! By the looks of it was the exact same carpet. Their en suite also had a glass door so that you could see your roommates frosted silhouette as they were using the toilet.

After returning from my night out I discovered that this B&B is not supervised at night, so if you had no key you could not get in. This was not a problem though as when I went around the back of the building to the courtyard I discovered that the front door to the annex was wide open. Anyone could have walked in. I made it all the way back to my room and knocked on my door and my friend let me in. I went to bed that night fearing for my safety.

I didn’t discover that my sheets were damp until I got into the fold out sofa bed that was allocated to me. It was pushed up against the window which left the sheets damp from the condensation. I would have had a better, cleaner, safer nights sleep in the back of my car. Thank god I only stayed one night.

So for a stay where I had no breakfast, no shower and a bad night’s sleep they charged us €140 PER PERSON for a two night stay. I wouldn’t pay €5 to stay in this dump again.
I am shocked that this B&B is still in business. The owners should be ashamed of themselves.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank FuzzyWuzzyTings
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We came to this hotel full of expectations from their inviting website, but alas, we landed in a crammed, shabby closet called a double room. And we were charged with the highest rates at all during our trip.
Holes in wall, missing lightbulbs, smell of diesel oil, windows not able to close. Confronted with the mismatch between website and reality, the owner just said that they were about to change their website. Too bad, they should shine the place up instead... properly!!! ... which might also involve merging a few of the rooms. The vicinity to the city is ideal, so this could have been perfect. The staff were nice at least.
But for now: stay away!!

Room Tip: Perhaps insist that you must have a room at the main house - certainly not in the back houses.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple