“Hell Hole”

and 1 more site!
Ashford Manor
Ranked #176 of 189 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Were do i start about this hellhole the owners call a "Manor". A group of 15 of us stayed here for two nights for the galway races.

On arrival we seen the kitchen through a small hatch they call "reception", it was absolute filth so needless to say breakfast was not had by most of the group. My aunt and uncle were given a "double" room which was hardly sufficient for one person. "The Sweatbox" would best describe this room. If that wasnt bad enough the shower was actually in the room. When you exited the shower you were standing on the carpet on what little floor was at the bottom of the bed. They obviously complained and were given a new room on the 2nd night but to make matters worse the owner had the cheek to put my pregnant friend and her husband in The Sweatbox when they arrived the 2nd day. When my friend complained she was told to find another b&b to stay in.

My brother was in triple with two friends, again a tiny room which had a glass door on bathroom. In another of the triples my friend had to sleep in an old mouldy sofa bed with damp sheets. Carpets ran right from the rooms into the bathrooms, light fittings hung off the wall, faucets were broke and the bed clothes were old, dated and stained. When voicing are complaints the owner was not very forthcoming and all together ignorant.

I would not recommend this establishment to my worst enemy and how they are still open baffles me. NEVER STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank LouLouth

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Please read all the previous negative reviews of this B&B as I can confirm that they are 100% correct.

There were 13 of us (all adults) booked in for a two night stay as we were going to the Galway Races on Saturday the 4th of August so we did expect to pay a little over the odds, but this B&B was nothing short of a rip off. Their website is a fine example of false advertising. The rooms were nothing like the pictures. They claim to have a wine bar but this turned out to be a wine rack. They are allocating double and triple rooms that are not big enough for capacity. They put two of our group in was clearly a room for one person. The shower was in the bedroom for god’s sake!?! Photos to follow.

Upon arrival the check in desk overlooked the messy, dilapidated kitchen so my mind was already made up that I would skip breakfast.

I was then lead to our triple room that was in an annex building across a courtyard. It was filthy. The worn baby blue carpet was like a splatter painting of stains. They had throw rugs covering the open areas to hide the really bad stains but it’s not working. We still know the carpet is rank!

The door to the mouldy en suite did not close tight. The hot water faucet did not work so I had to take the shower head and put it in the sink for hot water to wash my face. I did not use the shower during my stay as I was afraid of what I would catch from it.

My friends that were staying in the room next to me had carpet all the way into the en suite. A customer on Trip Advisor complained about the carpet in the bathroom in 2005!?! By the looks of it was the exact same carpet. Their en suite also had a glass door so that you could see your roommates frosted silhouette as they were using the toilet.

After returning from my night out I discovered that this B&B is not supervised at night, so if you had no key you could not get in. This was not a problem though as when I went around the back of the building to the courtyard I discovered that the front door to the annex was wide open. Anyone could have walked in. I made it all the way back to my room and knocked on my door and my friend let me in. I went to bed that night fearing for my safety.

I didn’t discover that my sheets were damp until I got into the fold out sofa bed that was allocated to me. It was pushed up against the window which left the sheets damp from the condensation. I would have had a better, cleaner, safer nights sleep in the back of my car. Thank god I only stayed one night.

So for a stay where I had no breakfast, no shower and a bad night’s sleep they charged us €140 PER PERSON for a two night stay. I wouldn’t pay €5 to stay in this dump again.
I am shocked that this B&B is still in business. The owners should be ashamed of themselves.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank FuzzyWuzzyTings
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We came to this hotel full of expectations from their inviting website, but alas, we landed in a crammed, shabby closet called a double room. And we were charged with the highest rates at all during our trip.
Holes in wall, missing lightbulbs, smell of diesel oil, windows not able to close. Confronted with the mismatch between website and reality, the owner just said that they were about to change their website. Too bad, they should shine the place up instead... properly!!! ... which might also involve merging a few of the rooms. The vicinity to the city is ideal, so this could have been perfect. The staff were nice at least.
But for now: stay away!!

Room Tip: Perhaps insist that you must have a room at the main house - certainly not in the back houses.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Houlby
Reviewed July 9, 2012

They squeezed a double bed into a (small) single room, and charged €150. The bed was against the wall, so was awkard to get out during the night without disturbing the other person. The breakfast room was also very cramped.It seemed to me that they were being greedy, squeezing too many people in, and charging over the odds - but almost all the accommodation in Galway was booked out, and this was the only convenient B&B available.

In their favour, they made sure that we got parking inside, thus avoiding the on-street parking fees. Also, the breakfast was nice, and the location is great.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank DublinCOL
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I was disgusted with this B&B. They have no sense of cleanliness, and suitability. Mattress was extremely lumpy. carpets covered in paint, carpet in the bathroom-disgusting. Smell of grease down stairs, paint chipped, kitchen in a mess. On top of this they had the cheek to charge 100 euro. Disgusted. Obviously not approved by any organisation.

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank dublintraveller11
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Check in counter through a window leading to the kitchen. Felt like a dorm not a B&B. Carpets in bathroom and hallway badly in need of replacement. Didn't see the wine bar shown on web. Perhaps it had changed management

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Canadaashord
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Yeah, so I have never written a review before but felt I should. Place is filthy. Broken chair in a completely outdated room. Carpet stains and not vacuumed. Hair on pillow of bed. Bathroom shower had mold all over the walls. No water pressure. Wall to wall carpet in bathroom (!?) was moldy, wet, and probably full of pee. Walls are paper thin- can hear people coming in late at night drunk. Breakfast was a joke. Stale bread, limp sausages and some random cold cuts sitting out on a plate. Very unfriendly and unhelpful when I checked in. No one there to check me out at 8:30am on Sunday morning so left key on table and left. The only good part of the place was that it is very convenient to walk into town. Paid $130 dollars for one person for one night. Never again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo