“A very pleasant stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in Galway
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
“A very pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

The Ardilaun hotel is located within Salthill Co. Galway. We stayed for one night. The staff are very nice including the Bar and Catering staff. We ate in Blazers bar on the night. It had a dinner deal of two or three courses for 20 and 24 euro respectively. The food was well prepared and tasty...served on time and efficiently. The hotel has a small indoor pool which was well maintained. If you are going to see wear and tear in a hotel it will be obvious here, but the ceiling, walls and pool were in a very good and well maintained state...well done to the staff on that one. The bedrooms are nice if a little dated...for instance the wall lights over the beds were fluted glass shade type...the centre light is something out of the 70s...but here again when you look deeper, the room furniture though old fashioned was well maintained..clean...and in a really great condition.
Overall would I recommend the Hotel....absolutely...it's very charming...and doesn't disappoint.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Tinker T
JohnRyanMD, Owner at The Ardilaun Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Tinker T,

Thank you for your recent review of The Ardilaun Hotel. We are delighted that you chose to stay at the Ardilaun and that you enjoyed your visit with us. We appreciate your positive feedback on our leisure facilities, food, service and accommodations. We value all our customer feedback highly and try to use it to improve our standards on an ongoing basis. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

John Ryan, Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Riga, Latvia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

Our group of 26 persons wanted a decent meal, but due to time constraints, we didn't want to spend too long at the table - the Ardilaun Hotel managed to cater for our needs with ease. A great meal was had by all, in pleasant surroundings and at a reasonable price.
Very happy.
Thank you Orla, for your friendly service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rupert-4
JohnRyanMD, Owner at The Ardilaun Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Rupert-4

Thank you for your recent review of The Ardilaun. We are delighted that your meal at the Ardilaun was such a success and we will pass on your compliments to Orla regarding organisation and service. We would be delighted to welcome you and your group back in the future.

Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Perfect for families. Good location, close to Saltill and city. Enjoyed stay. Main restaurant staff very friendly. Wanted to stay again in July but prices had gone way up so was a bit disappointed about that, had to bool a different hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Corklady09
Dear Corklady09,

Many thanks for your recent review of The Ardilaun Hotel. We are delighted that you chose to stay here and that you enjoyed your visit with us. We are very pleased that your experience was so pleasant and appreciate your feedback on the restaurant in particular. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

I booked the Ardilaun as I travelled with two dogs. I stayed 3 nights and wished I had more time to relax and enjoy it. I booked direct and for what I got, it was very good value.
Ireland is limited in its ability to provide pet friendly establishments due to an apparent wide definition regarding any operation of food. This is tricky when travelling as you can find yourself prohibited by rules that do not allow dogs to be left in room but also do not allow dogs in any public area of the hotel.
In this case, the hotel was accommodating.
On entering the grounds of the hotel, whilst care should be taken with its narrow gate, it opens into beautifully-kept grounds, with the hotel in front and the gym/spa to the right.
Arrival: the room was not ready when I arrived, but staff were really welcoming & I had somewhere to go so was not concerned. Also I asked about parking and access to the room which was helpful- there is a covered garage which opens to the corridor of the dog friendly rooms, making unpacking really easy.
Rooms: The rooms are lovely- garden rooms that open onto a patio with the lawn & gardens at the back of the hotel. the gardens were like the front- beautifully kept. The room was large, with a double & single bed. Bathroom was good size but most fun was the doggie welcome pack. The owners have produced a little booklet with good local information on walks & distances, also provided doggie bowls with a dog biscuit in each. Nice touch!
The room was reasonably clean on arrival, next day it was immaculately clean. It is always a good sign when the milks/coffees etc are refilled & they were. There was also a table, sofa, so very large really with carpeted floor on bedroom half and seating, patio entry with wooden flooring, good way to keep dogs from walking onto the clean carpet. Bed was very comfortable.
Moving around: I noted the difficulty some reviewers had with the hotel. As someone with no sense of direction- I asked, simples! It was great to have lots of shortcuts. From my room it was 30 seconds to my car and less than a minute to gym, reception or breakfast.
Pet friendly: apart from nice welcome pack, I could have food or a drink in the lobby with my dogs, I couldn't go to bar or, obviously, restaurant & that was fine- it was a good solution, and bar staff were very friendly. The gardens were fine for short walks, there is a little wood beyond the lawn. The general rule is that dogs should not be left alone in the room, and the hotel catered for this, also it is possible to organise a dog walker.
Ambience: as a solo traveller I found the staff & also the clientele really nice, I spoke with people in breakfast and the lobby and the customers seemed very happy, friendly and enjoyed their stay or visit.
Hotel generally: this is a classical-style hotel. The surroundings are rich- rich fabrics, dark wood furniture, a sense of old world style. It is family run, loved by locals and dear to the heart of many Galwegians, who go there for dinners, a drink or afternoon teas.
Location: it is located near Salthill, the sea area, and a few minutes drive from the centre, depending on traffic. I met people in town and needed about 20 minutes to get there and park.
Food: I enjoyed breakfast- good coffee, toast, the pastries and porridge & fruit salad were ideal. A good selection of fresh fruit salads available. I didn't have cooked breakfast, but it looked fine to me. I ate an evening meal which was delicious.
Overall, lovely hotel, with lovely staff, I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are lovely- I would opt for this again, with or without dogs.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank roaming13
Dear Roaming13,

Many thanks for your recent review of The Ardilaun Hotel. We are delighted that you chose to stay at The Ardilaun and that your visit with us was so enjoyable. We truly appreciate all your many positive comments on food, facilities, grounds and our staff and service. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

Nice old Irish styled hotel with large lobby and bar. Stayed a week during December for shopping trip with family. It was busy hosting xmas parties as well as a wedding but I'm sure it's much quieter at other times of the year. The decorations were great in the lobby!

Got a good deal booking with HotelTonight App saving €20 using promo code: wpreston4

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Will P
Dear Will P,

Thank you for your recent review of The Ardilaun Hotel. We appreciate your positive feedback about the bar and lobby, and our Christmas decorations. At that time of year the hotel is usually busy with parties and weddings but we endeavour to make all our guests welcome and cater to all their needs. We hope to welcome you back to The Ardilaun in the future.

County Meath, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

We are repeat visitors to this hotel - due to the good value deals and the friendly staff. Two nights in early June was enhanced by good food and friendly attention from reception to the dining room. Particular mention this time goes to Iwone from Poland, who was so pleasant and helpful. Leisure centre was spotless but the water in the Jacuzzi could be warmer. Bedroom over looked gardens but position of the TV made viewing while lying in bed, difficult. Overall another restful break and we will definitely be back. Thank you all.

Room Tip: Look for a room overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RetireeOldcastle
Dear RetireeOldcastle,

Many thanks for your recent review of The Ardilaun Hotel. We are delighted that you continue to choose The Ardilaun as your destination in Galway. We appreciate your lovely comments on our facilities staff and food. We will be very pleased to pass on your compliments to Iwone. We value all your feedback and use these comments in an effort to continually improve our standards and facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

john Ryan, Managing Director
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

I enjoyed my stay very much. The grounds are pretty and secluded so it was a good choice for the first night after an overseas flight. The room was bright and comfortable. They had a tea service in the room and plenty of tea and milk. Also good instant coffee. They have a hairdryer. Still don't understand why all the hairdryers are in a drawer instead of the bathroom. Have an easy to use safe so I could leave my small electronics and passport while I was away from the room. Loved the window in my room. Very restful view and the window opened enough to let the air flow. Meals were good and service was very good. They were happy to help me get tickets for a music event (although the tickets were not quite as good as they thought they would be) and when I lost the tickets, they went to some trouble to resolve the issue. I went for a very nice walk around the pretty neighborhood but it is not near the downtown/old Galway area. Some ladies took the bus into town and said it was no trouble to do. The bed was comfortable and the room quiet. I was happy with it. I do think I would prefer to stay closer to town if I wasn't staying long or at least take the bus into town which might be better since it is such a nice restive hotel.

Room Tip: If you want to use the spa but are going to be out and about a lot - book in advance to get the time...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Parisvisiter
JohnRyanMD, Owner at The Ardilaun Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Parisvisiter,

Many thanks for your recent lovely review of The Ardilaun Hotel. We are very pleased that you chose to stay at The Ardilaun and delighted that your experience with us was a positive one. We truly appreciate your comments on food, service, accommodation and facilities and we hope to welcome you back to The Ardilaun in the future.