“Not a 4 star hotel”
Review of The Ardilaun Hotel

The Ardilaun Hotel
Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed April 19, 2008

My family and I stayed in the the ardiluan for a few nights b&b and evening meal as were attending a wedding function in the hotel . On arrival we found the receptoin area homely and inviting ,the staff were friendly professional and very efficent.We had three rooms booked two smoking and another non smoking . Having accessed my room on the third floor my wfe and i were very dissapointed ,as the decor etc in our view was not of a four star standard there was no lid on the toilet cistern u can imagine the noise when it was flushed . In my daughters room on the fourth floor the shower did not work she had to use the shower in our room ,also the we were unable to open the window which was jammed almost shut the room was dark very cold .The remaining room was of a similar vain . We had dinner in the dinning room after check in we had a lovely meal the staff were very friendly and likewise at breakfast . I also used the leisure centre facilities which were first class . I have stayed in Galway many times over the years in B&B's and other hotels but these rooms are just not up to the standard . I will not be staying the the ardiluan again it has four stars in its advertising brochure how the tourism board allows this is beyond understanding . The public areas were beautiful magnificent function room and reception area friendly and efficent staff if the rooms were up to standard i woul not be writing this negative review .

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed April 14, 2008

Just back from a business trip which was held at this lovely hotel. There were 12 in our party and not one complaint from anybody (a first!). The rooms were lovely, we all had the newer ones. The lobby and bar area are very relaxing. The gym is average size - quite adequate selection of machines and clean.

Staff were all very friendly and professional and the rooms were clean, bright and airy. Breakfast was tasty and service efficient. We had a half day conference with breaks and lunch - all went smoothly. We'll be back.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 19, 2008

Apparently some of the hotel has undergone recent renovation. This definitely does not apply to all of the rooms available.
- My parents were allocated room 141. To access the room you had to navigate a maze of badly signed corridors and climb up and down several flights of stairs – not the easiest when you are carrying luggage!
- I had specifically requested a smoking room for my parents. Upon arrival I was told that the request had not mentioned this and there were no smoking rooms available. The lady behind reception became rude and abrasive when I questioned this explaining that I had definitely requested this. The duty manager advised that we could smoke in our non-smoking room!
- The room was a small, dingy, very tired cast back to the 70’s with floral patterns everywhere (curtains, bedding etc) – it even managed to overwhelm my parents who are 50+!
- There were woolen blankets on the bed (I haven’t seen these for a very long time).
- The bathroom was horrific. Small, and in bad need of updating, the sink took approx 20 minutes to empty and the toilet took the same to fill! Piping obviously an issue.
- My parents waited 20 minutes to be seated for breakfast due to the queues waiting.
There is no doubt that this hotel is idyllically situated on beautiful grounds – it is just such a shame that they don’t have the same pride in the level of accommodation they have a cheek to call 4*. I wouldn’t even give them a 2* rating based on the room which they stayed in.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Travellers2007
Reviewed February 19, 2008

My husband and I stayed for a weekend at this hotel (15th-17th Feb 08). It was a trreat for my Birthday. I had never been to Galway and was looking forward to a short break away. On arrival in the afternoon, we were impressed with the receptio9n area. We were shown ti oiut room which was clean and nicley decorated. The bed was quite small but the bathroom a nice size and more than comfortable.

That evening we dined in the restuarant after walking past and seeing how lovely it looked. Due to valentines weekend the tables had been eautifully presented with candles and it looked very romantic.

The food thet evening was very good, they charged 45Euroes pp for the 4 course meal which included a glass of bubbly lovely jazz band playing. The bo0tle of red we chose was 29E. We had a couple of drinks in the hotel bar after.

It is about a 25 min into Galway city centre which we did the following morning. Quite pleasant but we only did it this one time. A cab (the oitehr times) cost between 5-8 euros.

The city centre is great with some lovely pubs serving great food and live music we had a fantastic night on the Saturday.

The breakfast at the hotel was a lovely buffet with plenty of choice hot and cold. I was very impressed. On the Sunday morning before checking out we made use fo the spa area. There is a large swimming pool and fabualous warm jazuzzi, steam room and sauna just a perfect end to a lovely weekend in Ireland.

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed February 5, 2008

Booked this hotel based on the fact it is advertised as 4* and we wanted to treat ourselves. My husband and 2 year old checked in on Friday evening, all went well here. I was impressed with the reception area but our room was dark, dull and blandly decorated. It was freezing when we entered and we had to leave for an hour to let it heat up. Had a decent nights sleep, we were in a room at the end of a corridor so there was little traffic outside...on the first night!

The breakfast was awful, there is no other word for it. We expected so much more from this so called 4*. The layout of the buffet was not thought out at all. People congregated in a corner to get at the juice and fruit. The hot food was cooked in the kitchen and brought out to a ban marie where it was left to grease up. If something ran out there was no haste to refill it.

The cold breakfast was also poor, a couple of fruit selections and a large bowl of some kind of yoghurt were available. The cheese selection consisted of 2 blocks of brie, one other cheese and some grapes. There was no bread apart from the toast brought to your table and 2 types of pastry which ran out constantly. The croissants, when they were refilled were cold in the middle, in one case still frozen! Just overall very disappointing.

We spent the second night praying the people running up and down the corridors from 3.30am didn't wake our little girl. We did complain and the night porter couldn't have been nicer but his warning fell on deaf ears. The rooms across from us had people from the rally which was on over the weekend. Fair enough they should go out and enjoy themselves but the hotel should not put 3 lads in a room on a corridor with 3 families with small children.

Breakfast on the second morning was the same as the first. There was just so many little things this hotel could do to improve the standards. Could not fault the staff at all.

Not a 4* hotel when you think of other hotels with lower stars that are getting it right but don't have a pool!

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank lishermcfisher
Reviewed November 27, 2007

Myself and my husband stayed in this horrible place for a wedding that we were attending - I have to say it is just not good enough. The hotel has a 4 star rating but it absolutely does not deserve this. Rooms are horrible, dirty, and the decor is enough to make you want to vomit. Appartently they have renovated some of the bedrooms but these are now suites and you pay double the price! The lobby and reception area is very nice and bar is ok. Food on the day was nothing great - staff were extremely rude and just seemed to throw the food on the table. From talking to friends of mine who live in Galway this hotel seems to be very popular for weddings and for the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would want to get married in this place - just horrible. Would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ruby5Ireland
Reviewed November 26, 2007

The driveway up to the hotel is nice, and the lobby and reception area is welcoming and definately what we hoped to see.The staff at reception were polite and efficiant but lacking any charm. The room was old and dark and tiny and right on the road, opposite a big skip where we got treated to endless wheely bins being dragged by our window as we tried to lie on in the morning time. The worst bit of all was the food. We ordered breakfast to the room for an extra charge of €4 each, which is average. The food was terrible. The toast was cold and chewy, the poached eggs were cold and tasted awful and the bacon was just fat and grease, it was inedable. When we got up for breakfast the next morning it was actually ok, looked completely different.
As part of our package we had an evening meal included. It was probably the worst meal any of us had ever had. We couldnt eat most of it. Just weird combinations of poor quality food. It was as if the chef was off and a teenager that works weekends took over. We each picked a bit of each course. the waiter kept forgetting things, one of our party was forgotton on every course and had to keep asking for her food, she even had to ask him could she have some dressing for the ceaser salad as it came with none. He asked would she like vinigarette dressing!!?? (saw people eating in the bar and it looked ok.
On check out, every one of 5 of us were overcharged. Then when we thought it had been rectified, overcharged again. Check out took 45 minutes. nearly missed our train because of it.
Las point, we were told it was easy walking distance to the town by the hotel staff.. this is not true, its about 8-10 mins in a taxi. Dont go here you will be disapointed. Pay the extra and stay in town

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends