“Family/friends wedding with hidden gem”
Review of The Ardilaun Hotel

The Ardilaun Hotel
Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Galway, Ireland
“Family/friends wedding with hidden gem”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was my frist time ever in this hotel even tho i'm from galway, so i was really looking forward to see what it was like. We only said we'd stay because it was a thurday wedding and the b&b rate was very good. The hotel is just a little outside the city and you would nearly miss it when your driving by. The reception is nice and big and has a touch of class. I had read reviews about the rooms and had mix feelings going up to our room..... it was one off the older rooms. To be fair the room looked like it could updated but it was clean and had everything you would want in a hotel room. Our friends where staying in the newer rooms and they are fab!! The wedding food was nice and service was spot on. The breafest was good it had a nice range of hot and cold. The hidden gem was the leisure club, we head down Friday morning after the wedding and from start to finish you could not fault it. There was a lovely man at reception you was sharing a joke with other users about mayo football and while we where there, you could get a real family feel. We didnt use the pool but everything else was really good and clean. This is a real hotel with an old style welcome, i'd agree some parts need work and up-dating but dont let that put you off.

Room Tip: Ask for the newer part of the hotel, its a longer walk but worth it!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank happyout_10
JohnRyanMD, General Manager at The Ardilaun Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear 'happyout_10',

We are very grateful to you for having posted your review here on tripadvisor following your recent stay with us - Thank You.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to The Ardilaun and we hope that you will come back and visit again soon.

The Ardilaun Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I recently attended the St George function in the Ardilaun Hotel,Galway. The meal served was excellent as was the speed and quality of service. I would like to compliment all the staff for their attention to detail. Well done!
Marie Landy

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
JohnRyanMD, General Manager at The Ardilaun Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Marie,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are absolutely delighted that the event was enjoyed by all and we are very grateful to receive your feedback.

Your comments have been communicated throughout the hotel.

Hopefully we will have the pleasure in welcoming you back to The Ardilaun again in the future.

Belfast Northern Ireland
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We have just returned from the Ardilaun 9-12 September. From the moment we walked in until we left we had a fantastic experience. EVERY member of staff were so lovely and helpful. the rooms we got were large and bright and spotless. Food was really good too, the evening meals were great and I was able to choose something different each night. galway itself is a great spot this was our first time in galway but hopefully won't fbe our last, and we plan to return to the Ardilaun.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank elizkris52
JohnRyanMD, General Manager at The Ardilaun Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear 'elizkris52',

We thank you most sincerely for your review and, most importantly, we are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It was our pleasure having you as our guests and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Big clean rooms. Ask for one of the newly refurbished ones like I did.

We got a package that included two evening meals. I was expecting something minimal - but the food was fantastic. For courses plus coffees, of restaurant standard.

My only niggles... the rooms only have those annoying coathangers that you can't remove - presumably designed to stop them being knicked.

Overall great hotel. Thanks for keeping the bar open till 5am for us two nights in a row!

• Stayed September 2012
JohnRyanMD, General Manager at The Ardilaun Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Mike,

You are very welcome.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us recently and we thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay with us.

Hopefully you will come back to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I attended a family wedding in the Ardilaun Hotel in August. It was a fabulous day. We had the drinks reception in the garden which was a lovely start to our evening. The dinner was delicious and the staff catered for my two children's requirements. The band were great as we danced into the early hours. Our rooms were lovely and we enjoyed breakfast with our family and friends the next morning. So thank you to all the staff for making this special family occasion very enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Roisin1965
Dear Roisin,

Thank you so much for your review. We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your very special family event with us recently and we thank you for sharing your feedback here on tripadvisor.

Your review has been communicated throughout the hotel to each department.

Somerdale, New Jersey
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ardilaun Hotel as part of a tour. It was easily the best hotel we experienced during our stay in Ireland. From the outside, it didn't seem any different from the other hotels. Once inside, I felt like I had stepped into an Irish manor

Our room was one of the largest rooms I have ever stayed in. We joked that we could do cartwheels from one end to the other. There was a small dressing room and a clean, well-appointed bathroom. Needless to say, the bed was very comfortable. The room we stayed in was next to the children's center (I worried that might become a noise issue, but we never heard a thing!).

The staff was so kind and helpful. We were tired and couldn't seem to get the windows open. I was unused to the way European windows open (push out rather than up). Someone from the front desk came up and helped us get them open. I was a little embarrassed to discover that we just didn't know to push out instead of up, but he was so kind and understanding.

We decided to take a refreshing swim. I can't even begin to describe the pool. All I can say is that you should take a moment to enjoy it. You won't want to miss it. Oh, I can't help myself! I'll try to describe it. The full-length pool has a semi-circular grotto built onto the side of it. It has a built in bench to sit on. A statue sits in the center of the grotto. The grotto is entirely surrounded by windows. I swam in a rainstorm, and it was so serene to sit on the bench in the heated pool as the rain teemed outside the window. I highly recommend it. There was also a hot tub. Bring a swim cap at home or buy one at the pool desk. Women must wear one. I bought one there for a small fee. The locker/shower facilities were clean, too.

Outside, there is a lovely garden. Be sure to explore it. While small, you feel very secluded strolling through the woodsy path leading to a stone patio. Beautiful flowers are planted around the patio. We enjoyed our time in the garden, too.

The food was tasty, and the breakfast was one of the best we experienced. There was a small room off the lobby with two computers and printers if you need to send an e-mail home or confirm a flight.

I can't comment on how easy it is to get to Galway as we chose not to visit the city. We were there during the Volvo Ocean Race. It seemed that half of Europe was in Galway then, too. The entire area was in gridlock. Once we finally made it to the hotel, we didn't want to venture out into that traffic mess again. Please don't worry about traffic here. I believe the ocean race event is a yearly thing. Traffic would not normally be a problem with this hotel.

I will definitely return to the Ardilaun, and I will visit Galway next time. This hotel is not to be missed. If you go, say hello to the dolphin in the hot tub for me!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
JohnRyanMD, General Manager at The Ardilaun Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Hi Juliann

Thank you so very much for your fabulous review. We are absolutely delighted that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us recently.

Not all of our guests have the time to enjoy our leisure club facilities and our gardens but we are so glad that you could do so.

Ardilaun trys harder all the time to ensure that our guests enjoy a most memorable experience with us and we love it when people return to stay with us again and again.

We very much look forward to having you stay with us when you visit Galway next time. Maybe you could bring some nice weather to us too!

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We just stayed at the Ardilaun Hotel on Sat. Aug.25,2012. All in all it was a nice hotel. We were upgraded upon arrival to junior suite at no additional charge o . The room was spacious With a Wonderful bathroom. I was worried when we discovered we were right over the bar put it was not an issue. Even with music being performed wHen we left the bar and went to our room it was very quiet. We had a great night's sleep. My only complaint about the hotel was the service in the bar and restaurant. After 3 days of long stretches of driving we decided to stay at the hotel for drinks and dinner.We went to the bar both before and after dinner and no one would acknowledge us. I have no problem with going to the bar foe service but some people were being taken care of and others were not. At least acknowledge people sitting there and if you cannot serve them let them know so they can go the the bar themselves. Dinner service was ok but at the breakfast buffet the next morning( which was very good) no one approached us to ask us about tea or coffee until our meal was finished. I would stay here again but I would think twice about using the bar or restaurant.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ellen,

Thank you so much for your review. While we are very grateful to you for having taken the time to let others know about your stay here, we are disappointed that your experience was not enitrely to your satisfaction.

Feedback is really important to us and always very gratefully received. Thank you.

Your comments re: service have been brought to the attention of our bar and dining room managers and have been addressed. I would like to give you assurance that this is not usually the feedback that we receive and that we pride ourselves on our high standards of service and customer care.

I hope that you will return to stay with us again should you visit Ireland in the future.

With Warmest Regards,