“Fantastic staff make this hotel”

Harbour Hotel Galway
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We stayed for one night in December 2009, it was our work christmas party. Chek-in was extremely efficient, staff very helpful at the front desk.
Our room was beautifully decorated, bathroom was very clean. The bedroom was a bit on the small side, but as we spent very little time in the room itself, it didn't really matter. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room were basic, but more than adequate.
The bar downstairs proved to be the place to be for us that night. You could not ask for a friendlier, more accommodating barman than Kevin. We were a group of 30, and the service was fast, efficient and above all, extremely friendly.
Dinner was set in a beautiful dining room next to the bar, and there we were treated to a great christmas dinner menu. Nice choice of starters, mains and desserts, all beautifully prepared and delicious. Again, staff were helpful and attentive.
We stayed in the bar until it closed at 2am, after which we were told we could continue our night in the lobby, where they still served us drinks. This in my opinion is really going above and beyond call of duty. Any other hotel would close the bar and tell you to go to bed. The person on duty at front desk that night lit the gad fire for us, as the night was very cold.
Breakfast the following morning was a very nice, relaxed affair. Selection of food available was just what you'd expect from a hotel like this. Beautiful, fresh breads and pastries, cereal, and of course your bacon, sausage, eggs, beans etc. More than enough to give us energy to walk into city centre (5minutes away from the hotel) to do a bit of shopping. On checking out, again, front desk staff made us feel welcome to stay another night. And trust me, we would've if we could've done!
Only one negative thing was that I found the room to be a bit cold, but this is a personal preference. The person I was sharing with found the room a bit too warm. As soon as you got into the extremely comfy bed and pulled the duvet on, you didn't really care, what a great night's sleep I had!
All in all, a great stay, fantastic staff, good food, great atmosphere and a very central location! I really cannot fault this hotel in any respect, and we're already organising another outing to Galway so we can stay again!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
HarbourHotelGalway, Manager at Harbour Hotel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2010

Dear Akaasia,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience so much. It reminds our team that the little things we do each day, mean a lot to our guests and add to their enjoyment.

I hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the not so distant future. Keep checking our website for great deals and seasonal offers.

Reviewed January 4, 2010

Very Friendly Staff, Great Location, nice clean rooms, but could use a little help in the breakfast department, but as far as value, you can always grab breakfast somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Zerozeray,

Thank yu for posting your review and I'm glad that we have made your stay in Galway such a pleasant experience.

Breakfast has popped up a few times as being an area that we could do better on, please accept my assurances that we are working to turn that into a positive to match the rest of your experience.

I hope to welcome you back to the City of Tribes so you can try out the improvements first hand.

Reviewed January 2, 2010

I stayed in a twin room with a friend for a weekend break. The room and bathroom were a good size and nicely decorated. TV was large and had a good variety of channels. Beds were the most comfortable I've ever slept in. They contain mattress that are firm on one side and soft on the other side.

Hotel is located in Galway city so no taxis were needed.

There is an early bird dinner meal served in the hotel which is good value for money.

Breakfast is an all you can eat buffet and was delicious. I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends

Dear eaoife,

Thank you for posting your positive review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you had such a nice trip. I'd love to be able to post the bed to you, but if you want to contact me directly, I'll let you know where we got them!

Failing that, be sure to come back as often as possible where you can always be sure of a great night's sleep.

I'll keep checking back on comments from the TA community so we can be sure that we're keeping your members happy.

Reviewed December 30, 2009

Booked a superior room for 1 night. Got there and it would appear that the superior rooms are the smoking rooms, was moved twice and they all stank of smoke, was then moved to a standard room that was ok but quite basic.
Hotel staff were all friendly and buffet breakfast quite good too.
No free parking and the wireless internet did not work.
Very handy hotel for city centre.
I used to stay here when it first opened a few years ago and it was really nice but it seems to have gone a bit downhill since and there are many alternatives nearby.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear JimBob22,

I am sorry that you have not had a positive experience with us in December. The hotel has gone through a series of upgrades since we opened and we have done so in line with comments received through TA and other sources. Not all of our superior rooms are on our smoking corridor, but the rest must have been occupied on the night your visited. I am sincerely sorry that we let you down on this.

Please accept my apologies and an invitiation to give us a try one last time so we can show you that the best days are not behind us. You are right that there is a lot of choice in Galway and that's why we are committed to improving and delivering excellent customer care. Please don't write us off yet. Please contact me directly, I'll make sure you are looked after on your next visit.

Reviewed October 26, 2009

My husband and I were booked into hotel as part of group of 30 people. Had I been making my own booking going on Tripadvisor reviews (I always check Tripadvisor before booking any accomodation/holiday and have never been disappointed with my choices as a result) I would not have booked this hotel. I actually emailed the manager to enquire if the hotel regularly check Tripadvisor reviews and if they make an effort to solve any problems mentioned prior to going).
Having stayed in the hotel I have to say the Hotel was great. Did they give us a good room because of my email I do not know? There is a new manager just on the job - perhaps he is making changes.
What I found: Room small but adequate. Bathroom adequate and clean but missing plug for the bath. I am sure they would have provided a new one had we asked. Room clean and had everything required for the two nights we were booked in. Rooms were too hot and everyone in our group had to open windows and turn heating off. That is not a complaint but a personal preference. Breakfast was again not four star maybe three but it was fine. All staff were very nice and efficient. Hotel is ideal for walking into the city. Hotel reminds me of an IBIS or Jurys Inn type of hotel, slightly impersonal. Would I stay here again if I was booking for my husband and I? No, but that is only because we prefer an older building and a four star hotel for those extra touches and fresher organic type breakfast etc. Would I recommend this hotel....most definitely if you want a three star, withing walking distance of the city.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank eire317

Dear eire317,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review and I'm glad that we exceeded your initial expectations. I would like to assure you that you were in a standard room and that you had a stay that is reflective of our standards throughout.

It is correct that I am new to this hotel and the team are responding positively to some new approaches being adopted through myself and the owner. We are trying to make improvements that will deliver a very personal service and I would agree that the breakfast service needed attention and we have given attention to breakfast service and menu items. I think you would be happier with the current offering.

Sometimes change takes time, but I would be delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you back and perhaps win you over with the improved customer forst approaches.

I have used TA to guide those changes since my arrival and I will continue to do so in the future to ensure that we stay in touch with the needs and expectations of our valued guests.

Reviewed September 28, 2009

Stayed there with a number of colleagues in August. The hotel is quite nice and centrally located. The staff were very friendly and helpful. However, the hotel was quite busy and as it was Thursday night, a lot of guests were parting. People next door were very noisy at 2am but when i called the reception, somebody went up to that room immediately and somehow managed to keep them quiet! Overall, i can recommend the place - you can find drunk guests everywhere! However, i think that 89 euros for a single room was a little bit overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business

Dear MyTara,

Thank you for posting your feedback. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with our service and location.

I'm sorry that you felt the value could have been better, perhaps it's worth checking out our own website for some of the great value deals available before your next trip to Galway. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Reviewed September 17, 2009

This hotel is a very modern hotel and in easy walking distance to the city center. After several days of driving, we were glad to be able to park and just take in the sights of Galway on foot. Hotel is convenient to get to and the amenities are nice.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear areburn,

Thank you for posting your review, it's great to get all feedback.

I see you hail from Alabama so it's unlikely that you will be a regular repeat visitor which makes us appreciate the comments even more. Thank you for going out of your way to let the TA community know what you think.