“Most comfortable bed ever slept in, large room bathroom, central & good value”

Harbour Hotel Galway
Ranked #14 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Ireland
“Most comfortable bed ever slept in, large room bathroom, central & good value”
Reviewed January 2, 2010

I stayed in a twin room with a friend for a weekend break. The room and bathroom were a good size and nicely decorated. TV was large and had a good variety of channels. Beds were the most comfortable I've ever slept in. They contain mattress that are firm on one side and soft on the other side.

Hotel is located in Galway city so no taxis were needed.

There is an early bird dinner meal served in the hotel which is good value for money.

Breakfast is an all you can eat buffet and was delicious. I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
HarbourHotelGalway, Manager at Harbour Hotel Galway, responded to this review, January 15, 2010
Dear eaoife,

Thank you for posting your positive review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you had such a nice trip. I'd love to be able to post the bed to you, but if you want to contact me directly, I'll let you know where we got them!

Failing that, be sure to come back as often as possible where you can always be sure of a great night's sleep.

I'll keep checking back on comments from the TA community so we can be sure that we're keeping your members happy.

Geoff Kinsella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Ballina, Ireland
Reviewed December 30, 2009

Booked a superior room for 1 night. Got there and it would appear that the superior rooms are the smoking rooms, was moved twice and they all stank of smoke, was then moved to a standard room that was ok but quite basic.
Hotel staff were all friendly and buffet breakfast quite good too.
No free parking and the wireless internet did not work.
Very handy hotel for city centre.
I used to stay here when it first opened a few years ago and it was really nice but it seems to have gone a bit downhill since and there are many alternatives nearby.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear JimBob22,

I am sorry that you have not had a positive experience with us in December. The hotel has gone through a series of upgrades since we opened and we have done so in line with comments received through TA and other sources. Not all of our superior rooms are on our smoking corridor, but the rest must have been occupied on the night your visited. I am sincerely sorry that we let you down on this.

Please accept my apologies and an invitiation to give us a try one last time so we can show you that the best days are not behind us. You are right that there is a lot of choice in Galway and that's why we are committed to improving and delivering excellent customer care. Please don't write us off yet. Please contact me directly, I'll make sure you are looked after on your next visit.

Ireland
Reviewed October 26, 2009

My husband and I were booked into hotel as part of group of 30 people. Had I been making my own booking going on Tripadvisor reviews (I always check Tripadvisor before booking any accomodation/holiday and have never been disappointed with my choices as a result) I would not have booked this hotel. I actually emailed the manager to enquire if the hotel regularly check Tripadvisor reviews and if they make an effort to solve any problems mentioned prior to going).
Having stayed in the hotel I have to say the Hotel was great. Did they give us a good room because of my email I do not know? There is a new manager just on the job - perhaps he is making changes.
What I found: Room small but adequate. Bathroom adequate and clean but missing plug for the bath. I am sure they would have provided a new one had we asked. Room clean and had everything required for the two nights we were booked in. Rooms were too hot and everyone in our group had to open windows and turn heating off. That is not a complaint but a personal preference. Breakfast was again not four star maybe three but it was fine. All staff were very nice and efficient. Hotel is ideal for walking into the city. Hotel reminds me of an IBIS or Jurys Inn type of hotel, slightly impersonal. Would I stay here again if I was booking for my husband and I? No, but that is only because we prefer an older building and a four star hotel for those extra touches and fresher organic type breakfast etc. Would I recommend this hotel....most definitely if you want a three star, withing walking distance of the city.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank eire317
Dear eire317,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review and I'm glad that we exceeded your initial expectations. I would like to assure you that you were in a standard room and that you had a stay that is reflective of our standards throughout.

It is correct that I am new to this hotel and the team are responding positively to some new approaches being adopted through myself and the owner. We are trying to make improvements that will deliver a very personal service and I would agree that the breakfast service needed attention and we have given attention to breakfast service and menu items. I think you would be happier with the current offering.

Sometimes change takes time, but I would be delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you back and perhaps win you over with the improved customer forst approaches.

I have used TA to guide those changes since my arrival and I will continue to do so in the future to ensure that we stay in touch with the needs and expectations of our valued guests.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Stayed there with a number of colleagues in August. The hotel is quite nice and centrally located. The staff were very friendly and helpful. However, the hotel was quite busy and as it was Thursday night, a lot of guests were parting. People next door were very noisy at 2am but when i called the reception, somebody went up to that room immediately and somehow managed to keep them quiet! Overall, i can recommend the place - you can find drunk guests everywhere! However, i think that 89 euros for a single room was a little bit overpriced.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Dear MyTara,

Thank you for posting your feedback. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with our service and location.

I'm sorry that you felt the value could have been better, perhaps it's worth checking out our own website for some of the great value deals available before your next trip to Galway. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Alabama
Reviewed September 17, 2009

This hotel is a very modern hotel and in easy walking distance to the city center. After several days of driving, we were glad to be able to park and just take in the sights of Galway on foot. Hotel is convenient to get to and the amenities are nice.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear areburn,

Thank you for posting your review, it's great to get all feedback.

I see you hail from Alabama so it's unlikely that you will be a regular repeat visitor which makes us appreciate the comments even more. Thank you for going out of your way to let the TA community know what you think.

Dublin
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Myself and my partner booked our room at least 3 weeks in advance. When we arrived we were put in a smoking room which smelled terrible. As neither of us are smokers this made us quite uncomfortable.I asked for us to be moved but as the hotel was booked to capacity this wasnt possible.I understand this point but was quite disappointed with the attitude of both reception and management staff who werent at all understanding and just dismissed the situation. On top of this there was no parking in the hotels discounted car park when we arrived, so we had to park in the public car park which could have ended up costing us up to €20. However when I brought this to the staffs attention they were helpful and help the next available space for me.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
DearMs Brennan,

Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor to let us know that you were not completely satisfied. I am glad that you did get parking in our car park and that you could see that our staff do make the effort to try wherever possible to arrange this for our guests. We have 70 spaces in a 96 room hotel so inevitably, there are occassions when the car park is full. We do try to provide everyone with a space where possible and we have arranged reduced pricing on those spaces on our guests' behalf.

I am sorry that there was an error on handling your reservation and that you were assigned to a smoking room. This should not have happened, we only have 6 smoking rooms. You should have had the opportunity to move, even if only on your second night and I would have felt that more should have been done to ensure you were pampered a little bit more to ensure that we made up for our mistake.

I joined the hotel shortly after your visit and we have been working hard to improve our understanding as a team, of how these things can ruin what otherwise would have been a pleasant experience. Smoking in guest rooms (Even when designated as Non Smoking), has become a problem in many hotels and we are working to find a permanent fix.

I hope you would considder giving us another try and if you would like to make direct contact with me I will be delighted to handle your arrangements personally.

I would also like to apologise for the length between your posting and this response.

Monaghan
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Central location to City centre. Good bar food menu.
Fitness centre.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Dear IrelandMonaghan,

Thank you for posting your comments. Your experience appears to be positive and that is what we aim for with all guests.

Don't be a stranger, we would love to welcome you back to the City of Tribes sooner rather than later.