“Centrally located, great breakfasts”

Harbour Hotel Galway
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed here while with Go Ahead Tours, very centrally located to center of town. My room was very clean and bed was one of the most comfortable while I was in Ireland, however, there were no windows to the room, only two skylights, which was odd. Fortunately, I could open them for fresh air.

Room Tip: ask for a room with windows
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ChefAnnMt_Laurel_NJ
There are newer reviews for Harbour Hotel Galway

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights Oct 13. The hotel was friendly, clean and I stay again if in the area.
The room was large with everything I needed and the bed comfy.
The food was also very good.

The car park is however the worst car park I have ever needed to use.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank kingsLynnIJC
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We had a goodbye party for friends here. The staff were so helpful with everything. They were very professional. Food was great. I would highly recommend this venue for any function. I will be using them again in the future!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2013

In the last two years we have celebrated two important occasions in the Harbour Hotel. My Father's 70th Birthday, and my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary. The planning of both was done with the very professional assistance of Sean Rowland. Both of our parties were brilliant! The food was delicious, the service of all the staff would put some hotel's to shame. The rooms we stayed in are very warm and modern. I would like to thank all the staff at the hotel for making every so perfect for my parents. Well done and keep the good work up.

Nicola Connolly Galway.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Not saying this should be #1 in Galway but it has several things going for it. It is clean and modern. Enjoyed the Irish Breakfast one morning in the restaurant. Parking is no problem and you can easily walk to the main attractions and shopping areas. We didn't want to leave one pub as the traditional Irish music was great. Returned to the hotel and had a good night sleep. Driving distance to the Cliffs the next day and on to Dublin.

Room Tip: Go for price value and don't be concerned about the view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2013

My husband and I have been traveling throughout Ireland for 2 weeks and this is by far our least favorite hotel. We knew it might be a step down from some of the higher end hotels we have stayed in, but we didn't realize it would be more of a staircase down then a step. The hotel's website is deceiving with its professional photographs. The rooms are small, the walls need a good paint job, and the carpets are stained.The promise of pillow top, comfortable beds is a pure lie. If I move at all during the night my husband's side of the bed shakes and he wakes up, and vice versa. It's more like a water bed but with springs that you can feel. Speaking of water, the water pressure is abysmal. If the hotel management thinks they are saving on water, they are mistaken as showering takes twice as long. Even my husband' showers are longer and that's definitely a rarity. The sink drains slowly and for the shower to drain I had to pull the entire plug out. I think what was the most upsetting was the hotel's rationing of heat. They only turn on the heat from 6-7 pm so by 7:15 the rooms are cold again. I begged to have the heat turned on longer and they said they don't do that. Even the cheapest hostels have heat for their guests. Based on other reviews, staying here in the summer is no picnic either, as there's no a/c.

Even some of the positive aspects of the hotel, have negative aspects. When we first arrived in our room, there was a large poop-like stain on our sheets and the smoke detector was coming off the ceiling. They fixed both within a few hours but neither should have been there in the first place. There is wifi but they give you strips of paper in the morning with daily access codes. I guess getting a code for the whole stay would be asking too much (my husband asked after the women in front of him got a code for several days but he was denied). The lobby is one of the nicest areas of the hotel but this is to cater more to all of the conference attendees that fill the hotel. Conference attendees are definitely treated better than vacationers. Additionally, there is no business center and the gym is under lock and key-access is only granted through the front desk. Some of the staff is a bit stuck up and look at you puzzled when you ask basic questions such as why the heat is only on for 1 hour a day. We addressed many of our concerns with the front desk staff so if the hotel reads this review, they can't say we didn't mention our concerns. Unless a conference or meeting takes you to Hotel Harbour and you HAVE to stay here, look into other accommodations in Galway.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Motrya M
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Desk people were excellent!!
Room was dirty - & linen & bedspread were terrible - something all over bed spread.
Definitely was a disappointment after some of the places we had all ready been to.
I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple