“Best B&B in Ireland”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galway
St. Martin's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #71 of 188 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 23, 2006

Mary was one of the most gracious and welcoming hosts I've ever had.My friends and I stayed with her for 3 days and she treated us like her sons. She shared some of the best sights and pubs in the area and our time in Galway was unforgettable because of her. Make sure you bring Tubs a biscuit!

• Stayed: March 2005
7  Thank MikeDC40
There are newer reviews for St. Martin's Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed April 23, 2006

My friend and I came to St. Martins for a quick weekend away from Dublin. We loved it so much that upon leaving, we looked at each other and walked back to see if there was availability for the next weekend. Mary is such a gracious host, going above and beyond. She welcomes you every day with fresh tea, homemade brown bread and snacks. She tucks you in at night with hot water bottles, and you wake to an amazing breakfast of fresh orange juice, the best coffee in Ireland and of course, more homemade brown bread. Her dog Tubs is also amazing and well worth a visit.

7  Thank travelgirl07
Reviewed November 14, 2005

Fodors and Frommers do not rate this B&B and I would not have found it without the help of a friend in a chat room. What a delight! Location could not be beat - 2 minutes to the town, if that - but far enough away so there's no town noise (perfectly quiet, in fact). Mary is the best. Warm, friendly, accommodating. Terrific breakfasts cooked to order - and when we had to meet a 7 a.m. bus and missed the hot breakfast she provided more than enough cold food to keep us sated. It's homey and charming, with a wonderful view of the river. Tubbs, the dog, is the absolutely highlight, but the hot water bottle at night was such a treat! Mary was helpful with directions and suggestions, and even though we arrived before our room was ready she said we could come right in. Mary has neither a website nor email access (so you have to call Ireland to make reservations), and she only takes Euros, not credit cards, but never fear, it was top notch, while maintaining the charm you're looking for in an Irish locale. My 22 year old niece can be hard to please and she said it was the most comfortable bed she'd ever been in. This visit is one of the few times I've wanted to send a proprietor a thank you letter. Overall, one of the nicest places I've ever stayed.

• Stayed: November 2005
23  Thank PaulaRuth
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed September 10, 2005

It took us forever to find the phone number for this place, but it was worth the search. I'll make it easy for you: 353-91-568-286 This B&B is so cute -- the best parts are the dining area (overlooking a gorgeous backyard, a river, and a great view of the town), the location (a pedestrian bridge 10 steps away leads you over to the heart of Galway instantly -- perfect!) and the service (Mary was very friendly and breakfast was great). The rooms were a little strange -- ours had 3 beds packed in and way too many kleenex boxes and cleansing wipe dispensers (I think all together, more than ten!) But, the decor was pretty (very flowery) and the bed was really comfy. The room wasn't completely spotless -- it was definitely like staying at your quirky aunt's house (Mary's a bit of a pack rat), but we didn't mind. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2005
22  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 27, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at St. Martin's just a few days ago. We went for a romantic weekend away from the hustle and bustle of Dublin. It was an absolutely wonderful weekend, thanks in part to Mary Sexton's charming B*B.

I will admit that my boyfriend was nervous when he saw the area we had to drive through to get to St. Marin's. However, when we saw the entrance to Mary's place, we immediatley relaxed. It's location actually turned out to be perfect. It sits right on the canal in the middle of the city and is only a short walk to Shop Street.

Our room was wonderfully cozy. Breakfast was memorable with Mary's delicious brown bread and fresh squeezed orange juice. My favorite part was sipping my cup of tea and looking out the large bay window into the garden. It was so lovely.

I must say Tubbs, Mary's little dog, was my favorite part about the whole experience. I am an avid dog lover, and he just made my day! What a love he is. I couldn't possibly stay anywhere else in Galway. It was just perfect. Mary was born to run her own B&B. She is a natural, and a joy to be around. If I could give this lovely place six stars I would!

• Stayed: July 2005
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed July 1, 2005

My husband and I stayed at this B&B on our first night to Ireland. It was absolutely wonderful. We'd just arrived into Shannon that morning, so were dead tired by the time we arrived at St. Martin's. Mary made us coffee and her wonderful brown bread, which definitely helped perk us up. She told us where to park (for free), where the best pubs and music were and was extremely helpful. The backyard is beautiful and it was a perfect little place to stay, and within a 2-minute walk from the city center. I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: June 2005