“Higgledy, piggledy cuteness a real treat.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cupan Tae

Cupan Tae
Ranked #1 of 13 Dessert in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, Cafe, European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Higgledy, piggledy cuteness a real treat.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

Came across this wee tea room by pure chance as we were walking around Galway City. It was a welcome find; with it's quirky and delightful window display of dangling china cups and quaint flower bud lace curtains. Upon entering, it feels like you're visiting Grannies front room, small enough to allow you to feel at home.
There are many tea rooms like this all over the UK, so it was a delight to find one following the trend in Galway. The tea room was continually full with a smooth flow of customers during our visit. We were served fairly quickly, they weren't in a rush and neither were we. The scones we had were light, maybe a bit on the small side and I'd have preferred mine warmed given the choice. Clotted cream would have been better suited also - the cream served was too light so it made me 'think' of squirty cream from a can and the serving of strawberry jam seemed a tad on the stingy side although to be fair we didn't ask for more. Tea and cake is traditionally seen as a 'treat' to oneself, on delivery it should feel like you're spoiling the customer rather than just giving enough... The loose tea choices on the menu were broad, didn't disappoint and great these are for sale. Although upon serving loose tea, a silver tea strainer is way prettier and traditional than serving in a modern disposable bag, that hangs rather cumbersomely outside of the tea pots lid. And I spied a few rather ugly tea pots with cows painted on them - these looked from the wrong decade I'd get rid or hide these under a tea cosy!
Shabby chic was the theme of the decor; Pastel coloured painted walls, mis-matching chairs, pretty china tea sets to enjoy your tea from. Couple of things I'd suggest could be changed. These suggestions are aesthetic ones but as the ambience of the room relies dominantly on how it makes the customer feel, then I'd say these points weigh high on keeping that sense of 'special treat' feeling to the customer. There were two clocks on the walls which were oddly ugly and from the wrong decade again so they didn't fit the 'quaint' theme at all. There were also some 1980's faded framed art prints on the walls that were a tad strange in choice...Changing these few things would only benefit the business.

On the more positive side the room felt lived in, homely and warm with welcome. Nothing felt too overly precious, allowing you to feel that nice relaxed feeling that's important if you're wanting to draw in a good cross section of both locals and tourists. Dainty, appealing and informal Cupan Tae is definitely my chintzy table cloth covered Galway tea room of choice. I give it 7 and a half out of 10. Make the changes and it's with out doubt 10 out of 10!

• Visited July 2011

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“What a find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

We loved this tea room so much we made 2 visits and wished we'd had time for more. Lovely service, lovely china, gorgeous food. As well as yummy cakes, we had a very tasty lunch and very reasonably priced too. You can't leave without a cake though. Try the courgette and lime sponge cake...it tasted wonderful!

• Visited May 2011
County Mayo, Ireland
“Great Restaurant with fantastic staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

I booked this restaurant to treat my niece for her birthday. The staff gave us a great welcome on arrival, had a lovely table prepared for us and a left a card with a voucher for my niece on the table. They really made a fuss over my niece throughout our visit which was lovely and the food and tea was delicious too! They had prepared an excellent chocolate cake which was really reasonably priced, The restaurant was quite busy when we were there but the staff really looked after everbody and gave all customers plenty of attention. I would highly recommend this restaurant for its lovely decor, food, atmosphere but above all else the excellent team who work there.I cannot thank them enough for making my niece's day :)

Dublin, Ireland
“A little piece of Old Ireland with fabulous food and an unforgettable atmosphere!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2011

What a charming place!! From its delicate tablecloths and beautiful fine bone china to its olde Irish atmosphere. I felt like i was in a time gone by!! The food was lovely. The menu is varied and i would definitely reccommend the baked potatoes!! The service was friendly and prompt but it was the ambience that will bring me back every time i visit Galway.. A must if you are a native and unmissable for any tourist!

Letterkenny, Ireland
“Reminded me of going to my grandmothers for tea on a Sunday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

My family and i took a trip to galway this weekend an came across this lovely little tea shop when we were taking a walk down by the spanish arch,we noticed first the tables outside all set up beautifully with china tea sets.
we were greeted at the door by friendly staff which showed us to our seats we were just looking for a nice treat so decided to have the afternoon tea, but everything on the menu looked so inviting from baked potatos to sanwiches and salads.
we got our afternoon tea which included sandwiches scones and a ranges of beautiful cakes on 3 teered cake. have to say it was a lovely treat an recommend it to everyone.