“Best in Salthill”

The Galleon Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 502 Restaurants in Galway
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Blending the tradition of the old with a feeling for the new, the Galleon has been serving 5 million satisfied customers ever since it opened 45 years ago.An institution in Salthill, it takes pride in its friendly, experienced staff and its newly refurbished premises, to offer you an exceptional dining experience.With our extensive menu, we have something for everyone, be it a fussy child, a meat lover or a gourmet eater with a refined taste. Our scrumptious selection of food includes hearty meats, delicate fish, light salads, creamy pasta and indulgent desserts. We also have gluten- free options for coeliacs and vegetarian specialities.We keep our young guest entertained with crayons and pictures to colour in, while their parents enjoy a relaxing three-course meal. We also cater for parties of up to 30 people in our devoted function room. Whether you come for leisure, to enjoy a tea and scone with friends, or for work, to avail of our free high-speed Wifi.
Reviewed August 10, 2013

There is no where in Salthill to compare to the Galleon for family dining. Highly recommend a visit!
Love the Chowder, the burgers and the roast dinners. They really know what they are at and service is great every time.

1  Thank Frortufin F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,206)

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Hi, we (2ad & 2teenager) were here on Tues night. We had visited here 2 times while in Salthill last yr and decided to give it a go this year. We joined a line of customers on the steps for about 15mins. We were given menus to look over. Eventually, we got a table. Staff are really nice and friendly and very helpful. Husband ordered chowder which he said was the best he ever ever had. He had king prawns (scampi) for main - big mistake. He was expecting a big plate of scampi, salad & chips - he got 6 scampi and, literally, a handful of chips and sauce. I was so sorry for him - it was the meanest looking plate we ever saw!! I had chicken wings for starter which were gorgeous, hot and very tasty. I had pork as main and it was fine, I would have it again. However, in my opinion, the pesto type sauce on the green beans def did not compliment the pepper cream sauce! One of the teens had the garlic bread with cheese, which he said that while it was soggy it was very tasty, he had an excellent burger for main. The other had ribs for starters which were a big let down unless you were into sucking bones and not eating meat. Also, the ribs should have been cut into portions! He just had chicken goujons for mains - he got 4, another fairly mean dish! We didn't bother having dessert. This is not a posh restaurant by any means, and most of the food is good but I feel the portions were a little too small! We had planned to go a second night but decided to put our money to 2 good lunches in city centre instead!

1  Thank aoc
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Very busy but it was worth waiting for. staff were friendly and helpful although busy you didnt feel rushed to make a choice or eat up and leave.

1  Thank 22marian68
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I live and work in the Galway area but hadn't been to The Galleon in many years, not since I had been a kid in fact when they had a large scale model of a Galleon in the window. While the ship itself has gone I was happy to see the none of the other trademarks of friendly staff, efficient service and wholesome food have not.

I only had time for soup and a sandwich on this visit but they were delicious all the same and even though the restaurant was packed the food arrived very shortly after it was ordered. My server (I don't recall his name) was friendly and even though they were busy, took the time to chat with me about business in Salthill, the races and the summer in general.

Next time I will be back and I'll be bringing my appetite, they are currently doing a 2 roast dinner for €15!!

1  Thank WWTGalway
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Visited Galleon last week with my wife for a meal before going to "Trad on the Prom". Food was very good and plentiful. We both had the chowder which was lovely then I had the roast beef dinner and my wife had the fish special which was also nice and very filling after the chowder. Value was very good at 19.95 for 2 courses + a glass of house wine. Would have no hesitation eating here again.