“Food is good if you can get served”

Gourmet Tart Company
Ranked #1 of 5 Bakeries in Galway
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This place is very popular with families, so there are often baby strollers blocking the aisles, screaming infants and toddlers walking around. That's fine. What's not fine is that the service is terrible.
We stopped in there on our way out of town to have a small meal and tea. One of the servers pointed us toward a table way in the back, one table from the rear wall. We settled in there. The very back table was occupied by another server on her break who was sitting with her back to the room looking out the back door. We perused our menus, decided on our food, and sat there for 15 minutes, gradually realizing that nobody was going to take our order.
We discussed this within earshot of the server sitting five inches behind me. She finished her meal, got up and returned to work -- waiting on other people, neither approaching us nor sending anybody else back. We got up and left, wending our way through the baby strollers and children.

3  Thank Anne N
michelleod, Owner at Gourmet Tart Company, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for being so kind with your star rating on our food despite your unpleasant experience. Can you imagine how it feels to be the owner of a small family business such as ours and to read such a review? It is very disappointing for us that a staff member after enjoying a complimentary meal would ignore a customer who clearly needs to be served at the next table. We have had a fantastic run on tripadvisor with over 300 great reviews but sadly, over the past 2 weeks, we have been hit with a few bad reviews about our service. I hire every staff member personally myself. It is difficult to get a job in Gourmet Tart Co. Recently, from an open interview of 52 people, 2 people were called for a trial and one person was employed by us. We have fantastic staff who work very hard and we have had a very busy Easter. This staff member has let us down. I hope it was a once off. I am deeply sorry that you had to leave without being served and thank you for trying to support us. Michelle Hyland, owner, Gourmet Tart Co.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Have visited the gourmet tart restaurant on my occasions and have alway enjoied their food which is of an excellent standard, Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the service, on my occassions i have been seated and left sitting their for up wards of 20 mins before my order has been taken, on my last visit a group of three of us went for breakfast, ordered food and hot drinks, food came out after about 30 mins, but no sign of hot drinks, mentioned it when the food came and was assured that the drinks were on the way. After we finished our food I once again asked for our drinks (two teas and a latte) I was told in a very short and snappy manner that they were on the way. From reading previous reviews other seem to have had similar experiences with the service, which is such a shame as the food is brilliant, Cake and tarts are second to none, Coffee isnt their stron point always tastes a little burnt.
Also the mens toilets are always a little grubby.

1  Thank Power_irl
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We had lunch here impromptu on April 1, having just arrived in Galway- we were a big group of kids and adults. The staff seemed a little thrown by the large group as the cafe was very busy. Having said that, service was good and the food was delicious...really enjoyed it, tomato soup was divine. Bit pricey but anywhere really good is I' m afraid.... You get what you pay for. Would definitely return.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Had a meal in their place in Salthill - the food was delicious, reasonably priced and the staff were very attentive. Also bought a take away lunch the next day - also lovely. And their desserts are yum... Every town in Ireland should have a place like this!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I visited the Gourmet Tart restaurant/cafe today and was disappointed with the lack of friendly service which we were greeted with. On several occassions I have had this experience here and it is such a pity because the food both in the bakery and restaurant are generally of very good quality and that is the only reason I go back. With the exception of one male staff member, I find that the staff barely acknowledge you when you come in or are waiting to be seated.
Today, we stood waiting for a table for at least 5 minutes and not one staff member even nodded towards us to even suggest they had seen us. There were two free tables available so it was not the case that the restaurant was full. We had to ask a staff member for a table when she passed us for the fourth time.
I sometimes get a take-away coffee and sandwich for lunch and, when paying for it, I have had the money grabbed off me without even a please or thank you....a smile would go a long way towards making customers feel welcome.

1  Thank Cailin1Galway