“Finally dined at the restaurant for dinner!”

Gourmet Tart Company
Ranked #2 of 15 Dessert in Galway
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Okay, last time I write a review for this place, I had only had brunch and had shopped at the bakery/deli in town.

I recently won a Valentines competition on Facebook for dinner for two at the Gourmet Tart Co. in Salthill. I had only eaten brunch before there and it was really good. So this evening we pulled our fingers out and went..
We were greeted by a lovely French lady who gave us a choice of seating, it was busy enough but filled up quite quickly after we arrived. There was a really lovely atmosphere, dimmed lights, candles in little pink votives on the tables, really romantic, nice place to go on a first date too (but I'm married ;-p), fantastic menu, 4 course menu for €25!!!! Such an amazing price is hard to find for such top drawer food and the best Prosecco I have ever had!!!! In my opinion, the Gourmet Tart Company is the most unpretentious place where you get such food, COMPLETELY Underrated, its Michelin star worthy and I don't just say that for anywhere that I enjoy the food, this place really is SMASHING!!! Presentation is immaculate, attention to detail and a lot of thought and care goes into the dishes, not to mention love. The chef must have a big heart 'cause it shows in the food! From the outside, it looks nothing, looks like just a bakery, but you have to go inside, it's like a well kept secret!

First, for starters, I had shredded beef croquettes, served on a wooden board with beautiful salad on a bed of horseradish and pomegranate seeds and in a ramekin, home made pickle, GORGEOUS, really generous amounts of beef in that delicious crumb. After the table was cleared, we were presented with a palate cleanser of Blood Orange and cardamom Sorbet and then on to mains, which was a mushroom risotto with truffle. I don't like mushrooms ( I call them earthy slugs) but something made me order this and I adored it!!!! So creamy, you could taste the delicious wine through it....so yum! Ryan had the lamb burger, succulent lamb between two slices of toasted ciabatta, salad and the yummiest chunkiest chips, all built up into a little cube of crisp potato, I couldn't help but pinch one, and since all their food is cooked with rapeseed oil, it was flavoursome, tasted twice cooked (parboiled then fried), sophisticated 'burger and chips'.

Staff constantly made sure we were OK, such lovely girls, our water bottle was always full and our bread basket was never empty..

Finally, the part I was dying for, dessert, or as English people say time for 'pudding'. I am a self confessed chocoholic, so I had the Chocolate and Orange pave with hazelnut ice cream and a baked orange slice, it was like a chocolate cake that was made from chocolate truffle, dense, indulgent and certainly satisfied my need for chocolate this evening. Even the coffee was bloody perfect! Rich and smokey! There's nothing you can fault this place on!!!! Ok, there is....just the noise level, large wall space, wooden floors and high ceilings....if you want a quiet cup of coffee, too many lunching mummy's with kids,and all trying to speak over each other so you're forced to shout over the noise :( That's all, it's not like that at night, all adults in raptures over the divine food! My husband is a pain to satisfy, very rarely he is so moved by a restaurant, bad service makes him so moody and even 5 star hotels we've eaten in were 'mediocre' to him....but GTC almost brought a tear to his eye, he is in love with this place!

If they keep going the way they are...Michelin stars wont be far off..... well done guys!

1  Thank sarah-shadylady

Reviewed February 10, 2012

The Gourmet Tart Company opened originally as a bakery, and has a few branches around the city of Galway. Recently they opened as a restaurant/cafe in Upper Salthill near the seafront.

I went there for lunch and went back the following day for afternoon tea. On both occasions the meal was of a high standard. For lunch I had a pasta dish which when it arrived it looked tiny and insubstantial but when I bit into it, it was perfectly cooked, tasty and satisfying, proving less is more. Surprisingly I was quite full afterwards managing only a cup of coffee.

On the second day I had a pear and custard Danish pastry and cappuccino, a perfect combination. The Danish pastry practically melted in your mouth. The snack cost about €5, which was very little for the standard you get.

The restraunt/cafe is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with a varied but not extensive menu. They it also has a wide variety of cakes, tarts and light snacks that range from healthy to a little bit 'sinful' all at a reasonable price.

The premises is spotlessly clean and the decor is white and plain and a little bit clinical, which goes a long way as far as hygiene is concerned.

Sadly where this restaurant looses brownie points is that some of the staff are not very friendly and I will go as far as to say slightly grumpy, but there are some that are more cheerful and more helpful. Still I would highly recommend The Gourmet Tart Company if you go there for lunch or dinner make sure to leave room for a cake or dessert. If you have a sweet tooth you will not be disappointed!

Reviewed February 7, 2012

I was here on a girls night out and was not expecting much as it's famous for pastries and scones. I had superb Duck and the service was impeccable. Definately a place I'll be revisiting. The interiour could improve - bit noisy and open and not much character - but the food and service are great.

Reviewed February 6, 2012

Just as well I booked a table here for last Saturday because the place was buzzing when we arrived at 8.30. After only a few minutes it was easy to see why. The Gourmet Tart Company has managed to get it right on every level, from the bright funky space, a lack of any pretension, great service and fantastic food and value for money. The menu had something for everyone without running into pages. I had the braised beef croquettes for a starter, perfect for whetting my appetite. While taking my order the waitress told me that she didn't know if there was much lamb left and would check she was back only seconds later and I had no problem going for the fillet steak with Guinness braised onions and pepper sauce, (I've been in places where someone has come back 15 minutes later to tell me that they had run out of something), which was the best piece of steak I've had in quite a while. I don't have much of a sweet tooth and was going to have go for the cheese board when the chocolate orange pave with home made hazelnut ice cream caught me eye, stunning is the only word to describe it. My better half had rabbit as a main course which I wish people would get over being squeamish about and more restaurants would serve. A few people here have complained that the restaurant it's a bit noisy, true it's probably not the place for a quiet romantic evening, but this only adds to the athmosphere. The total bill for 4 courses (with a couple of small suplements)each including sorbets, coffees and a bottle of wine came to €83.00 which I think was very good value for the standard of food we ate. Top marks to the Hylands, I'll be back the next time I'm in Galway.

1  Thank SEAMUS.R
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Reviewing their place in Salthill.... nice food and the place has nice mural-type cartoons. Worth it.