“Well worth finding.”

Gourmet Tart Company
Ranked #2 of 13 Dessert in Galway
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Waringstown, United Kingdom
“Well worth finding.”
Reviewed July 17, 2011

This restaurant is located in Salthill, just outside Galway. We booked it on the strength of reviews in TA.
We were not disappointed and even on a Thursday evening the tables were all taken and there was obviously a great atmosphere.
Food and service were excellent.
My only advice is make sure you pre book and we saw quite a number being turned away.

• Visited July 2011
michelleod, Owner at Gourmet Tart Company, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Thank you for this lovely review. I´m so glad you enjoyed the restaurant and that you took the time to write on tripadvisor. Hopefully we will see you again when you come to Galway. Michelle Hyland, Owner.

Galway, Ireland
“Nice place but poor atmosphere and service is average”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I really enjoy the breakfast here, the lunch is nice enough and I haven't tried it for dinner (although I have heard good things). The service was terrible but it has improved a good bit. Its still quite slow but better. The pastries are lovely but don't get them on a sunday as I think they are cooked the night before (taste like they have been chilled).

The biggest problem I have with the place is the set-up/layout of tables/chairs. The chairs aren't very comfy and the noise level is ridiculous. I have been there many times for breakfast on a sat or sun morning at 8.30/9 and there could be two tables and it feels like a sat night!!! I think the owners have gone for a certain style and maybe it works for others but I find its not at all relaxing.

They have a good selection of sweet treats though and there is the option to take away (their pre-made sanwiches are the only I have ever enjoyed- I normally hate pre-made sandwiches)! It also seems very kid-friendly although I haven't gone there with any!

1 Thank kermur
michelleod, Owner at Gourmet Tart Company, responded to this review, July 17, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor and I appreciate the 4 stars that you have given our food. I´m sorry that you found the service average and the atmosphere poor. I agree that it can get noisy when it is full and for some people that can detract from the atmosphere. The breads and cakes are baked every night in our bakery and weekends are no different. We bake our croissants last (at 6am) and everything else from midnight onwards. We take pride in the freshness of our product and we take it very seriously because the food is of ultimate importance to us. It is what, we feel, sets our business apart. We employ 70 people and we also take that responsiblity very seriously. The Gourmet Tart Co is more than a business to us and we value all of our customers and appreciate their loyalty. I hope that you will be back to us at some stage and that the service will be at our usual high standard. The seats in the corridor at the back of the restaurant are the quietest. Thank you again for your comments and I note that you are a regular contributor to tripadvisor. It is an excellent way of sharing information. Thank you again. Michelle Hyland, owner, Gourmet Tart Co.
Roscommon, Ireland
“Absolutely gorgeous food, and great value too!!”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I had been dying to go to Gourmet Tart Co, ever since my friend told me about them and I liked it on Facebook, and they did not disappoint! Despite the damp evening outside we were greeted by lovely friendly staff who made us feel very welcome. Although my boyfriend is not the most adventurous eater we both enjoyed the great selection of food available, I particularly enjoyed the Seabass dish and found the 4 course for €25 excellent value. I can't wait to go back!!!

Galway, Ireland
“Cannot wait to go back!”
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Love the menu, such variety & all new dishes with excellent ingredients. Great value 4 course meal, staff are really friendly. Only negative is that the seating is v tight especially if it's all tables of 2 or 4. Well worth it tho

1 Thank diddles78
Galway, Ireland
“No excuse needed to go there regularly”
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Ive been twice for dinner in the last fortnight, first with visiting relatives from Australia including a 20 month old and I returned a week later having invited a relative out for a meal because I wanted another excuse to go there. All of my guests were delighted with the food, the atmosphere and the service received. My local relative was planning on returning there again at the weekend to introduce it to her friends. The menu is a little out of the ordinary, unusual combinations can be expected but they all combine very well. Even when you go there thinking you know what you want, the specials might tempt you to change your mind. Of course with a name like the Gourmet Tart Company, the desserts are easily the best in town. Washing these down with a bottle of pink lemonade is delightful. Now im just looking for another excuse to return and to try out their new summer menu.

1 Thank Anita-M88