“Fantastic restaurant in Salthill”

Gourmet Tart Company
Ranked #2 of 13 Dessert in Galway
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Fantastic restaurant in Salthill”
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We are here 3 times during our weeks holiday in Salthill. We also bought bread and cakes here during the week. The food is excellent, resonable prices and fantastic service. We had breakfast here on our last day, their bread is simply yummy. The only minus is that it is noisy when there are a lot of people there. Something to dampen the sound would be good

“it was just horrible”
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We didn't like it at all, seemed the staff didn't know what they were at, the food was tasteless, wouldn't recommend and wouldn't go back.

• Visited February 2011
5 Thank galwaylad11058
michelleod, Owner at Gourmet Tart Company, responded to this review, April 14, 2011
Galwaylad, I am very disappointed to hear that you were not happy at all with our restaurant. Neither the food, the service, nor the value impressed you. I would love to get a few more details from you - what you ate and what the staff did (or didn't do). I'd really appreciate it if you'd reply to me because the review has attracted alot of comments on our facebook page and I'd like to be able to address it properly. We are a small family business and we work extremely hard 7 days a week. It is great to get good reviews but unfortunately it is the bad ones that stick in our heads. I can see that you joined Trip Advisor especially to write the review and therefore you feel strongly about the matter. A bit of extra information would be much appreciated so that we can work to avoid such situations in the future. Thank you very much, Michelle Hyland, owner, Gourmet Tart Co.
Ennis, Ireland
“Finally a food "destination" in Salthill!”
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Given that the parents who usually feed us whilst in Galway were out of town, we decided to venture out into the "real" world to eat last Saturday night. Expectations were high - the usual comforts of home were being left behind and we were venturing to Salthill - not usually considered a food destination in Galway.

But what a feast awaited us! I had visited the restaurant some weeks previously to sample the delights of the café during the day. That experience had been very good, but I did wonder how atmospheric the stark white walls and large room could be during the evening. With a few clever changes to table layouts and plenty of colourful candles however, the place was transformed - a "home from home" for us poor homeless souls! Service was excellent - fast, friendly and efficient, and our 9 month old son, who refused to sit in his high chair, was charmed by all around.

But it was the food - oh yes, the FOOD - which makes GTart Salthill a real destination. The four course meal at 25euro must be the best value in Ireland - and impressively the four courses can be chosen from the full a la carte menu and not some boiled down version. Given that we were heading out for a few "scoops" after, we decided to forego all courses and sample elements of each instead. Our roast veg terrine and beef croquettes really whetted the appetite for mains of seafood linguine (with hugely generous amounts of seafood; lemon sole, sea bass and a beef special). The quality of the ingredients and the presentation were worthy of a gourmet meal for which we would have paid crazy money for during those bygone Celtic Tiger days. Thank God that common sense now prevails and eating out no longer burns a hole in one's pocket, or leaves a sour taste in one's mouth at the thought of being ripped off. The finale came in the form of a wonderfully citrus lemon tart and poached rhubarb encrusted with an almond shell. It was a superbly executed meal, with perfectly sized portions and quality products at every turn.

Fintan and Michelle, and all their staff, deserve huge credit for opening a restaurant in these times and more importantly making quality, fresh food affordable. To me however, the real endorsement of the place came on leaving -- outside on the street approaching Gourmet Tart there were numbers of well-heeled, middle-aged groups heading for their later sitting at the Gourmet Tart. Never before had I seen anyone but underage disco goers or BuckFast swilling lads hitting the streets of Salthill on a Saturday night! Go Gourmet Tart - we'll be back very soon and often.

1 Thank GirlEnnis
Galway, Ireland
“Fantastic food, good value, very helpful friendly staff and lovely atmosphere!”
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Fantastic food, good value, very helpful friendly staff and lovely atmosphere!

“Prize winning food”
Reviewed April 3, 2011

I have been a fan of Gourmet Tart since my daughters took me out for a meal there in February. I have liked their Facebook page and keep updated with menu changes or additions as they happen. Once a month they hold a draw for the fans of their page and last month there was a bit of a twist, they selected 3 fans and let people vote for the winner. I was one of the chosen 3 and after several campaigns from my children and friends I emerged victorious. There was such a battle for the prize which just goes to show how good the food is.

This week my husband and I used the voucher. Top marks for choice, service, presentation, delicious food and friendly pleasant staff. We both went for the mushroom and blue cheese soup which was outstanding, the sorbet was a lovely surprise for my other half. We shared our main courses so we both had salmon and vegetarian lasagna. I had the blueberry tart with ice cream and I was gob smacked when hubby said he couldn't fit dessert in. They gave us a custard tart to take home with us.

A thoroughly enjoyable dining experience and I can’t wait to go back...

• Visited March 2011