“great food”

Ranked #2 of 5 Bakeries in Galway
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: A breath of fresh air, that's what Griffins Tea Rooms on Shop Street Galway is. Griffin's is a family run Bakery founded in 1876, but with beautiful tearooms to the rear. Surround your self in traditional surroundings, Irish language and five generations of Griffins by real open fires and enjoy simple food at it's best. All the breads and soups are made in house .The menu is straight forward; sandwich, baps etc.. but all served on Griffin's own delicious home made breads. While enjoying your meal, one can watch and smell the food parade as piping hot bread and cakes are carried out to the shop past your very eyes. You just cant get fresher anywhere! Their award winning breads make such a difference to the sandwiches with a choice of Wheat, Rye, Mixed Grain, Italian, French and even Gluten free bread for Coeliac's. The friendly pleasant staff take charge, store your buggy for you , supply high stools and provide a very reasonably priced children's menu. The children can do colouring on the children's menu while awaiting their order .Half portions of most products is available with wickedly delicious half portions of Belgian hot chocolate.Going to the modern, spotless toilets was a pleasure and in particular that there are baby changing stations in both Female and Male toilets, a very rare thing these days. The smaller room "The Snug" is also noticably popular with breast feeding mothers where they can enjoy a coffee in privacy, warmth and comfort with their babies. Griffins is a must visit, conveniently located at the end of Shop Street Galway City . Further down Quay Street in Galway is the world famous Mc Donaghs Fish and chips, a must for familys on the go or those with a hankering for delicious fresh fish.Martines Winebar is just across the street and fabulous food there late into the night. If you cross the road at the end of Quay Street, you will find Tamirand Restaurant, another delight for parents with children. They offer fantastic Asian style cuisine &half price menu on everything.High chairs and colouring are provided , they even bring the children to the kitchen to make up their icecream desserts. Christine and the team there are fantastic.
longford
“great food”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

great service and food always tasty.bread so nice and breakfast super. have never had a bad experience here .

Visited February 2014

Kilmessan, Ireland
“Cosy but maybe too small”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I came here for breakfast as we were starving and it was the first place we seen that did breakfast all day. I were put on a small rounded table which would be only suitable if we were only having tea not a big fry. It was a tight squeeze and we had to take a few things off the table just to make room. The fry came with what I expect was homemade bread which was basically rock hard. But I did enjoy my full Irish although that could have Been because I was very hungry. As we left there was queue to go in but I don't understand why as there are nicer places I'd line for like McCambridges. I wouldn't recommend this place to my friends.

1 Thank Gillian M
“Bad service & rude staff”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We visited this cafe on 27th Dec 2013. We asked for a table to seat 6 people. We got a seat upstairs which was cold, no music in the back ground. We ordered coffee's & sandwhich / soup combi, 15 min waiting on coffee's and a further 25 mins waiting on food. We went to ask what the hold up was then they came with half the order, 10 mins later the rest. The bread had no butter or mayo, 2 of the orders were wrong, bread was hard on 2 of the sandwhiches. The girl who served us was not Irish and didnt understand when we asked for butter and a knife!! She began to get stroppy and raising her voice telling us to be calm and we didnt ask for butter. So needless to say we pushed our plates to the side, got up & left. I went back to pay for coffee only and the waitress was more arrogant and rude said we had no manners and she only worked there. What a joke. I went downstairs and asked for a manager only to be sniggered at by a male waiter who said noone turned up today...ehh hello??? No manager is not acceptable to be honest. When we came outside only to be greeted by a dead bird outside the seated area. Never in my life have we ever been treated like this and we will NEVER return to this place. Plenty of fab tea rooms and cafe's around so avoid it .

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank flossymcgee13
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Compact and Bijou”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We popped in here for a coffee and a scone as it seemed a nice little home bakery. Well it was both, nice and little. You had to pass through the shop to get to the café and passing in the doorway which also housed the cash register to one side and a scullery to the other was achieved by means of holding your breath and squeezing through. Do not even attempt this with a pram or pushchair or more than one shopping bag - it just isn't possible.
Having made this endeavour we found a recently vacated seat and immediately staked our claim. I did try and move along into the snug area but it was smaller and fully occupied.
Coffee and scones were delicious and we admired the old walls and floor and ceiling and the certificate of the originals owners prowess at making bread, as certified by the certificate issued by Hovis in Dublin in 1928. The authenticity of this bakery was not in doubt. it was an experience we enjoyed but really couldn't linger as many others were queuing to get in. There was a steady stream of customers coming and going and getting intimately acquainted as they passed through the eye of the needle.
Not a place to relax in soft seats and while away an hour reading a paper but certainly a memorable experience of ye olde Galway in original form.
If you can't spare the time for a coffee just go in and give it a quick look and buy something from the bakery.

• Visited November 2013
Galway ,Ireland
“Not what the customer ordered!”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Visited Griffins to support a local business.Saturday brunch on 5th Oct 2013. Lovely tearooms in heart of city.Ordered Eggs Benedict (soft eggs got rock solid eggs) and a sausage and cheese croissant(no mustard - got mustard!). As service was slow ,there was no time to ask for a fresh order.I did not enjoy my food and my teenage daughter was hungry leaving as she ate only half her croissant.I complained by comment card leaving my name and address and have had had no response.I also complained to the guy who served us and he basically apologised and blamed it on kitchen staff! Not good enough as we do brunch every month and there is strong competition out there and Griffins gets third place in three tearooms visited in last 3 months the others being Cupan Tae and Gourmet Tart Company -both excellent!

• Visited October 2013