“A hidden gem for later dining after the pubs stop serving”
Review of Artisan - CLOSED

Artisan
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 30, 2013

My wife and I were in Galway on vacation from the U.S. and found out the hard way that the pubs in the city stop serving food relatively early, around nine o'clock, I think. It was still light out in May at that time, so we were caught off guard when we looked for a dinner spot. We were fortunate to find Artisan, a restaurant above Tig Neachtain's pub. Up a long flight of stairs into a well-decorated dining area with a large bar. They were kind enough to seat us without reservations. I had the seafood chowder and my wife had a goat cheese tart. Both were wonderful and came with a nice assortment of bread. Artisan has a very good selection of wines. Although a bit noisy due to the closeness of the seating, but overall, a very enjoyable experience. Highly recommended, especially for later dining. Suggest reservations if a particular day and time is important.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

It would be easy to miss the wonderful restaurant, luckily we knew of its location, the food is excellent, we took advantage of their 'earlybird' offer and enjoyed their Chowder acclaimed to be the best in Galway, we subsequently tried other restaurants chowder to find that their claim was correct. We had a cosy position in the restaurant with views of the busy streets below. We would certainly recommend finding the Artisan restaurant. .

1  Thank Russell D
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This little restaurant is hidden away above two pubs in Galway, but its a real treat when you find it. Great food and superb service in a cosy environment. We went for a celebration and it hit the right note. There's an excellent 'early bird' menu, if you get there early enough. Its popular and was full when we arrived so advance booking recommended (we did).

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Had delightful meal there just last night. I had the monkfish and my wife had the halibut. Both were perfectly cooked. Service very attentive but not overly intrusive. They obliged me in my reservation request for a table by a window. Definitely recommended for a special night out.

Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Had been looking all over for venison and found it here.... And wild pidgeon, goose and a fine selection of seafood also. Beautifully cooked with real flare. Good selection of wines, cosy atmosphere, professional service and great location, a real winner.