“Terrible Hospitality! Flaky Owner!”
Review of Prague House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galway
Prague House
Ranked #14 of 188 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 13, 2009

This is my fourth trip to Ireland. I absolutely love it here and have stayed at many wonderful places. I am highly organized to a point that I have Excel spreadsheets I create prior to my trips. Yes, I sound like a nerd but when you're traveling with a two year old, you have to be that organized.

Imagine my surprise when after confirming a reservation at Prague House, we arrived after a loooong bus ride with several bags and a tired toddler and were told at the door by Mary that our reservation didn't exist. I told her I confirmed it but she seemed very hesitant to believe me. She also seemed highly disorganized as she shuffled through a calendar book with things thrown on it in pencil. After some back and forth about whether I actually confirmed it and who I was, she led us next door where she checked to see if they had a room for us. Fortunately they did. About an hour later we ran into Mary again and she told me she had actually found my email but I never wrote back to confirm. She said in a very accusatory way that I really should have been sure to confirm with her. I was pretty shocked that she wouldn't just admit she messed up and try to make it right. Instead she placed the blame on us. I didn't even mention that I found the confirmation email I sent to her in my sent folder. We were too tired and hungry after a long trip to bicker.

The bottom line is that mix ups happen. Nobody's perfect and I don't expect anybody to be. What isn't acceptable though is to blame your mistakes on potential guests. Simply admit you made a mistake, apologize and attempt to fix it. Her attitude of trying to convince me I was the one in the wrong (though I had the emails to prove otherwise) was completely appalling. I would never stay at Prage House and would advise anyone else not to risk that the owner will be too flaky to actually record their reservation.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Prague House

Reviewed September 7, 2009

This was my second stay with Mary and Charlie and it won't be my last. Very easy walk to City Center and also to Galway Bay. If you plan a day tour, the will pick you up right at the front door. Mary and Charlie are both so warm and welcoming. Rooms are neat and very clean. Breakfast is delicious. Full Irish Breakfast, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, coffee, tea, hot chocolate. We slept every night with our windows open, and it was very quiet, even though we were on a very busy street. When we arrived I pulled in and parked. Charlie went out and turned my car around facing out, so it would be easier for me to pull out into the street instead of try and backing out. They do what ever thay can to make life a little easier for you. I will always stay at Prague House anytime I am fortunate enough to be in Galway.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for two nights and enjoyed it immensely. Mary is the consummate host and we loved chatting with her. Breakfasts were wonderful and plentiful and the rooms and bathroom, though rather small, were clean and comfy. Can't beat this location....a five minute walk to main city center and close the prom. We thought of staying on the main drag of Galway and after realizing that there was no way we'd ever have gotten any sleep with all of the pubs and music blasting til 2 or 3 am, we were glad we made this choice. This was in a quiet, safe area and we'd definitely stay there again. Great value.

Reviewed July 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Prague House for only one night, but we really enjoyed our stay. Mary (the owner) went out of her way to be friendly and helpful, and breakfast was great. The location was perfect - short walking distance from the key things to see and do, and had a grocery store across the street which allowed us to stock up on much needed lunch stuff in order to save a little cash. It's on a fairly decent sized road and we were worried it would not be very quiet, but we had no problems. Could've used a bigger bed (my husband is tall and tends to take up a lot of space on the double bed we had, leaving me with little), but other than that, everything was great!

Reviewed July 28, 2009

My friend and I stayed at the Prague House for four nights and felt like we were visiting family. Mary and Charlie were wonderful and so very sweet and helpful - went above and beyond what I would expect of any hosts. This B&B is located only 2 scenic blocks from the main area of shops, pubs, and restaurants. Everything was clean and lovely, information was readily available, and Mary's Irish breakfast was delicious! It was a wonderful experience and I will most definitely be staying there on my next visit to Galway.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2009

As everyone else said perfect location, close to town but quiet at night. Mary and Charles were super hosts. Always ready to talk about where to go and how to get there, pubs for good music, local history. Mary was great at slolving problems for us, too. Helped us pay our Dublin road toll on her PC and phoned round and found the right place for us to go quickly and get a flat fixed. This place is a real gem! Wonderful fresh fruit as well as Irish breakfast

Reviewed July 20, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Prague House B&B for 3 nights in July and it was perfect for us. It took us five minutes to walk into town, which was great so we didn't have to take a cab or bus. Mary, the owner, was so accomodating because she recommended tours for us, called the companies, and they picked us up right out front after breakfast! It was so perfect because there was so hassle.
The rooms were very clean and dining room was very nice. The breakfast was delicious and Mary did an excellent job meeting everyone's needs. I asked for coffee and Mary gave me my own coffee press! It was great! We also got our own basket of toast, and traditional Irish breakfast. There was also fresh fruit, granola, and yogurt on a table where you helped yourself.
Each morning Mary would inquire about everyone's stay and recommended different places to go/eat.
Mary also was so kind to drive us to the bus station with all our luggage, which we were so grateful for. When it was time to leave, it was like saying goodbye to a family member because Mary was so genuinley kind to us.
We definitely recommend the Prague House B&B to anyone staying in Galway!