“Never again...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of McSwiggans

McSwiggans
Ranked #35 of 466 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, International, European, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Galway, Ireland
“Never again...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

First of all I agree with most of the reviews it is an amazing venue with a pleasant feel to it. I have been here before a little over a year ago and the night was great the food was great but unfortunately last Friday I ate here, the waitress was nice, took our order but when she came with the starters she had to ask who was eating what, the price they charge I really thought that this would have been a nice touch, I believe its what you are paying for. Starters were fine averaged €7.not worth it. the main problem was with dinner out of eight of us 4 of us thought there was far to much salt in our food. Three of us had roast half duck on a bed of mash €20.50. The duck was nice but the mash was over seasoned with salt and the other two thought the same.
One of them had monk fish and he thought it was over salted, his was so bad he had to send it back, the waitress apologized and dealt with this in the proper manner. now the most upsetting part was when three of the party of eight had to leave a little early because they had a two hour drive ahead of them and asked to pay on the way out, they were told that they are not allowed to do this, One of the ladies with in the party came back to the table to let me know because I had made the booking, so I went over to the person who I think might have been in charge of the restaurant. She said that they don't accept tables part paying due to perhaps people not paying and forgetting to pay and leaving without paying, I looked at the three ladies who ate with us in complete confusion, as they were too confused as to what this meant. My reaction to this was this is insane we are not about to leave without paying so could you please accept the payment form these and what ever is left I will pay. they agreed. I went back to the table and we finished off dessert (which was very nice) when we got down the stairs to reception area to settle the bill the girl behind the counter handed us a receipt and explained that the second figure on the receipt was the amount outstanding and waited for payment, I had a quick look over it and I was not sure if the monk fish was taken off the bill, I said to the girl that there was a bit of an issue in regards to the monk fish she said hold on that she didn't know anything about it and called the lady who told us earlier we were not allowed to pay by two parties. She came over and asked what was the problem, I again in confusion wondered how she was going to deal with this complaint, she began by saying the monk fish was not charged to the bill, I told her about my over seasoned mash and she turned around and I quote, said "I brought the food back to the chef and he said there was nothing wrong with the fish its the way we serve it." i said again my mash was over salted, she replied thats how we make the mash and it has always been the same. My Father was in shock with the way customer service was being dealt with replied to her I am the customer not the chef. We paid the bill and left with a sour taste in our mouths. With this being customer service I am yet again horrified. I will never again recommend this restaurant to anyone I know as I have done in the past. Customer service was badly let down by the manager.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

• Arabic first
Macungie, Pennsylvania
“Happening and excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

On a Saturday night, we waited a little bit and then enjoyed: awesome food from appetizers to deserts; stunning red-haired hostess (could be a model); pleasant and accommodating wait staff; fresh (very important) fermented beverages; and an exciting buzz leading one to conclude this a a happening place for locals as well. If you want great food, a diverse menu, pleasant service and a nice location, try this joint. You will not be disappointed. Oh yea, if you like red-heads.....

Mayo
“Lovely Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Food is excellent....Resturarant has a lovely style to it. My friend and i go here all the time for lunch during the week when we are in town shopping...very affordable. Staff are a little slow to clear away plates after main course sometimes. other than that its good.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
offaly
“Superb, again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Booked here while on recent break and food and service was all terrific. Had mixed seafood for starter while herself had the warm chicken salad, both very good. Mains were the t-bone and the surf n turf and ordered extra veg and garlic potatoes to share but ended up leaving some behind as portions were big. Everything was delicious and needed a walk to make room for pints! Lots of choice on the menu and prices good too. Decent waiter too who wasnt intrusive but always on look out to see if you needed anything.

Lombard, Illinois
“Yummy !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Great setting-we sat on the upper level-loved the brick & wood.
I had the Mushrooms with lime for my starter,the Medallions of beef followed by cheesecake-
the mushrooms were breaded & fried and SO delicious-the beef melted in your mouth (not to mention the mashed potatoes)-very much comfort food !!
Loved every bite-