“Fab Food AND SERVICES”

The Malt House Restaurant
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We went on Friday night last with no booking, but was accommodated by the very good waiter. we enjoyed this restaurant and i had clam chowder for starters the best i have ever had i'd love the to know how they made it. no hurry on the main meal enjoyed a drink between courses i had the chicken with black pudding stuffing and all the trimmings this restaurant is brill. I will be back.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We walked in for dinner one week night and the restaurant was about half full. As it was low season I thought this might be a good sign. I was not disappointed as my wife and I had a thoroughly pleasant evening. Nice food and good service, not spectacular but still good.

Everything is clean and food is fresh but as we found a bit in Ireland, the service is lacking just that little bit. Not major things but just that last 1% that makes for great service. e.g. having to ask for another fork after entree - it's not a deal breaker but would never happen at the top level.

1  Thank RNS1971
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I had the best risotto I've ever tasted and the apple crumble was as good as the one I cook myself ;-)

My girlfriend was also very impressed with the fish and chocolate pudding & wine that she ordered.

We were so impressed by the food we didn't eat out again until our last night!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Had dinner here with my family and it was honestly one of the best meals I have ever had! We all ordered different dishes and tried each one of them - I honestly couldn't pick a favorite. Everything was so good. The waiter was excellent in suggesting certain items on the menu and helping us decide what wine to pair with it.. I also had the sticky toffee pudding for dessert and literally had dreams about it afterwards. I would have eaten here every single night I was in town if I could.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Chose this restaurant at random on a night out in Galway - saw award symbols outside the door. It was a comfortable setting which was nicecly decorated in a valentine's day theme.. Staff were very efficient, helpful and friendly. Cheapest wine was €21.50 which I found a bit expensive for what we got. Chose from the items on the menu which gave a starter and main course for €24. One person had chowder starter served with a scone. Chowder was tasty but could have been hotter-the scone was obviously over-heated in a microwave oven which spoiled it. Second person enjoyed pork ribs which were served with bar-b-que sauce. One person had rib-eye steak which was good and second person had hake which was also tasty. This person asked for a small portion of chips and when the bill came there was an additional charge of €3.50 - which we found excessive. I would try somewhere different next time - but would not rule out returning to the Malt House.