“I'm baffled, wasn't impressed!”

The Seafood Bar @ Kirwan's
Ranked #17 of 502 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I ate here a few weeks ago, found it hard to get a booking and assumed it'd be good. We both started with mussels in white wine. There was some sort of curry flavour off them and the juices were the colour you'd expect from curry. Why would someone do that to mussels?! I wanted to taste the shellfish.
The mains were well presented and tasty. Dessert was tiny, tasty but tiny. Cost €7.50 and I could have eaten double. Service was good but I felt as though I was sitting far to close to the lady beside me, so much so I could hear her clearer than my colleague. I might be back but wouldn't be rushing back, there are far better places in Galway that are cheaper and easier to get a table in. Maybe I'm missing a trick here but I doubt it!

4  Thank Galwayladyee

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Kirwan's Lane was recommended by the hotel. The restaurant was full downstairs, but upstairs plenty of space. We had not booked upfront. As we decided to go upstairs soon after more and more tables filled up. The fish was very good cooked and tasted delicious. Staff were very attentive. I would recommend this restaurant if you'd love fine quality fish.

1  Thank AnsH1
Reviewed March 28, 2013

myself and my fiancé went there for a romantic dinner on Monday evening, as we were in Galway for a long weekend. The waitresses were extremely friendly and attentive, and gave us a table quickly despite the fact we had not booked. I got the most beautiful starter dish there, that will stay etched in my memory forever, it was the cured salmon, with whiskey jelly, pickled beetroot and wasabi alioli. It was outstanding - i didn't want the dish to end. The fish bake I got for my main was also lovely and creamy with plenty of fish inside. My fiancé also loved his meal of calamari for starter, followed by the chicken with scallops for main. We'd thoroughly recommend this place to anyone wanting quality food that won't cost the earth in Galway.

1  Thank Laura Q
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Decided to give here a go on the monday after the saint patricks day. Had been out fishing in the cold all day and was really looking forward to a nice meal in a warm environment. The restaurant setting is lovely and the staff were excellent. Starters were exquisite. I had the gambas and my fiancée had the mussels. Mains were the scallops and the bass which were really good ; probably not just as good as the starters but still very tasty. At this point I started to feel the cold as did my fiancée being typical irish I said nothing and looking back I really should have. I am sure the waitress would have turned the heat back on no problem. Anyway more fool me. The chocolate dessert was shared and enjoyed inspite of the cold. Price was a little on the high side; the starters were expensive but worth it the mains were pretty standard but probably should come with a side or two. That said I was happy overall with the meal. It is not my favorite restaurant in galway but it would be in my top 3. The food and service are very good. I will definitely come back here and recommend it for a romantic dinner.

1  Thank gourmetbyrner
Reviewed March 12, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by the hotel we were staying in. Also saw some mixed reviews on trip advisor . Have to say I was disappointed. Tables very cramped up was the first thing I noticed too close for comfort! The menu seemed nice but on the pricey side. My starter was very small way too expensive for what I got. My partner ordered calamari... It was over done and on the chewy side he had to leave some behind. Our main courses were much better tasty but again way over priced and portion size small. We also got a bottle of wine. We were not asked once was all ok and had to wait over half an hour between starter and main! And we had been told they needed our table at a certain time which put even more pressure on. Our bill came to near 100 euro! For what we got it was not worth it... Over priced and over rated.

4  Thank emo-9