“Rainy night in Galway”

Ranked #94 of 502 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Uniquely designed busy bar in the heart of Galway city center serving wholesome, quality food. 6 bars under the one roof including a thriving whiskey bar and cocktail bar - sit back enjoy some delicious food and drinks whilst overlooking Eyre Square. The Skeff Bar & Kitchen really is Galway's meeting place.
Reviewed March 11, 2014

5th March a rainy night , we parked the car in the Merchants Road entrance of the Eyre Square 24/7 car park and walk through the square and down Shop street looking for a restaurant with perhaps some music. It was pretty quite and as the rain increased we returned to the Skeff on the square. Outside it looks like a long fronted Victorian bow windowed pub.Inside there is lots of wood, lovely ornate low ceiling and many stairs leading to various levels. As there was international football on the waitress showed us to the restaurant area. The menu and prices are the same through out the pub. We has steaks and chips with pepper and garlic butter sauce and a side of garlic bread plus two pints. the meal was hot and perfectly cooked as we requested.For company we had tables of what seemed like students of various nationalities and a table of rather vociferous American which created a pleasant atmosphere. there was no noise from the match on the TVs. We then had a drink at the bar and left just as a DJ began to play his set which sounded like it may have been fun to listen to. i left feeling good given that it seemed such a dull and wet night when we arrived.

AshlingDudley, Manager at The Skeff, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear Andrew95,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor about your recent visit to The Skeff Bar & Kitchen.
We are blessed with being one of the most unique bars in Galway city with plenty of seating choices available where you can enjoy all The Skeff has to offer- live sports on our big screens, dining areas, cocktail bars etc. I have passed your kind words on to our kitchen team who were delighted with your comments.

I hope you pop in to visit us again on your next trip to Galway- hopefully the weather won't be so bad!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have been to The Skeff on a number of occasions while visiting Galway previously, recently I have to say there has been a general decline in the training or hiring of staff members. A female member of staff was very rude towards our group while celebrating with friends recently in The Skeff, from the moment I spoke to her I immediately detected an attitude directed towards us in general. The establishment was not busy at all at the time, and since most of the private areas and seating was closed off, our group had to deal with this member of staff while sitting at the bar. There was no excuse for the poor treatment by this member of staff, who was very disrespectful and even bordering on sarcastic at times. I was both shocked and saddend by this particular member of staffs attitude, thankfully this is the only time I have had an issue with rude and abnoxious staff behaviour at The Skeff, I only hope that this is a temporary lapse in judgement of character. This memeber of staff should not be dealing with members of the public in future without propper training.

AshlingDudley, Manager at The Skeff, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear Mike_Van_Dyke,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent visit to The Skeff Bar & Kitchen. I was saddened to read that you did not have an enjoyable experience with us on this occassion and can reassure you that the poor level of customer service you received is not the norm for our company. We strive to ensure that our customers come away with a positive experience but on this occassion we seem to have fallen short.
I would appreciate if you could get intouch with me on ashlingdudley@gmail.com so I can gather more information regarding your visit to help me get to the root of the problem as I can assure you poor customer service is not tolerated within our company.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Spent a lovely rainy Sat afternoon here in front of a very welcoming open fire with friends. Ambience amazing as were the Long Island Iced Tea Cocktails. Not hungry enough for a meal, but after seeing the others order hot spicy wings and fries i joined them,. The portion was shared by hubby and I, a humongous portion of wings and chips, with a helping of Blue Cheese Sauce. Definitely recommend for a stop off. Staff excellent, very clean bar and restaurant esp toilets. We moved to the back of the bar to watch the match, which also ended the visit nicely as Liverpool won!

Dear barbara531,

I was delighted to read that you got to experience everything The Skeff is known for- great cocktails, live sports games, open fires and delicious food (you had my favourite dish the Spicy Chicken Wings!)

I hope you will come back and visit us again on your next visit to Galway.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

The Skeff is one of those places that should be fantastic - it's on Eyre Square, has lots of nooks and crannies and plenty of different levels to get lost in.
Unfortunately the morning we were there for a late breakfast/early lunch, it just looked dirty and uncared for.
Food was reasonably priced - toast was good and the coffee was ok. Eggs were a bit like bullets. For a fry up, it'll fill you - but it wouldn't inspire you!
What disappointed me most were the simple things - how about wiping down the tables between sittings? Ketchup bottles with the sauce grimed all over the lid - takes a second to clean; greasy paw prints on the menus, condiments.
Sadly some of the clientele appear to start on the alcohol early enough too - and the language was ott, - cursing & swearing very loudly, in an almost empty bar/restaurant is not nice and the staff could easily have asked the young gentleman to tone it down a bit - none of his friends seem to have any problem!

Dear KatB15,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor and my apologies that we fell below par on this occassion. Standards are always expected to be high and I can assure you that all those issues have been dealt with and will not be tolerated in the future.

With regards to our clientele we are a busy city centre bar that caters for locals, tourists, hen and stag parties and we are known as Galways meeting place so sometimes we are their first port of call on their party.

We hope you take the time to pop in to visit us again so we get the chance to show you what you experienced that morning isn't the norm within The Skeff Bar & Kitchen.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We both had a meal here & again we were not disappointed as the quality was good & tasty though the goujons we're not as big or as many as the previous visits. A nice meal all the same.

AshlingDudley, Manager at The Skeff, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear Baz1961,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor about your visit to The Skeff Bar & Kitchen. I was delighted to read that you were a return guest of ours and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. I take on board your comments regarding the size of the goujon portion and will ensure that is rectified.

Warm Regards,