“Day off Ruined”

Ranked #89 of 469 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Uniquely designed busy bar in the heart of Galway city center serving wholesome, quality food. 6 bars under the one roof including a thriving whiskey bar and cocktail bar - sit back enjoy some delicious food and drinks whilst overlooking Eyre Square. The Skeff Bar & Kitchen really is Galway's meeting place.
Galway, Ireland
“Day off Ruined”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have visited the Skeff on 15th August with my cousin we were served by a girl named 'Kate'. As we sat down she has glanced at us and asked if we wanted drinks or menu, I have asked for a menu, when she came to get our order I have by accidentally ordered wrong what I asked for is a pint of Guinness and a baby Guinness thinking its a glass of Guinness when the waiter brought it up I said my apologies and explained my mistake. In the response I got a lesson of what is what then she stormed out to get the glass of Guinness. At that point I got upset and actually felt like just leaving but since we have ordered and were hungry we decided to stay. For food I have ordered one portion of Fajitas and asked for an extra wrap as we were sharing I have mentioned that I will pay the difference. When we got our food our Fajitas were not Sizziling or even hot it was warm, I have seen that we only got two wraps I have asked our waiter Kate that I have ordered 4 in total to what I got 'oh but I ordered it' and again without saying a word of apology she stormed off. she never even smiled or made any happy contact didn't ask how is our food or anything before we were leaving she cleared our plates and got our bill from my request. I am a worker in the hotel myself for a long time and I have seen a lot but to be treated like that is very unacceptable!!! I often go to the Skeff as I like it but after this I don't think I will ever return. All other staff seemed very nice I was so mad that I was not treated as a customer. The food was nice but the whole experience was terrible!!!

1 Thank Lvprincess123456
AshlingDudley, Manager at The Skeff, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Lynprincess123456,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor about your recent visit to The Skeff Bar & Kitchen. I was saddened to read that you did not have an enjoyable time with us. I have carried out a full investigation and I would like to reassure you that the staff member you highlighted has been spoken too.
I hope you will give us the chance to redeem ourselves by paying us a visit again in the near future.

Thank you again for highlighting the issues you had.

• Greek first
  • Polish first
limerick
“Just how long should you have to wait?”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Visited this premises yesterday. I sat at the bar on the left inside the main door. I had booted up my computer and started answering my emails before anyone came near me to ask what I required. I ordered a Gin and Tonic. At least 10 minutes passed before the server returned , not with the drink but with an apology for the delay. Another few minutes passed before he returned by which time I had to leave for a bus. I entered at about 18.15 and left at about 18.40.
I would expect better service in a centrally located venue.

1 Thank John L
AshlingDudley, Manager at The Skeff, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Lawlessfun,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor about your recent visit to The Skeff Bar & Kitchen and my apologies that your experience on this occasion was not a favourable one. I am going to launch a full scale investication into the incident because service of that level is totally unacceptable and not something that we stand for in The Skeff Bar & Kitchen.

I would appreciate if you could contact me directly on ashlingdudley@gmail.com as I would like to receive some more information from you about your visit with us.

I hope you give us the chance to redeem ourselves in the future by paying us a visit on your next trip to Galway city.

Food Manger
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Location and atmosphere...just average food”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Great location off Eyre Square and seemed to be very popular with a nightly pup crawl that started here. The atmosphere was very charming and had a nice selections of beers on tap. We were greeted promptly upon arriving and given menus and served drinks. Our server was very friendly. Ordered the Lamb Stew and Chicken Burger, the meat in the lamb stew was very dry, however the vegetables were nicely cooked. Chicken burger was also overcooked and lacked flavor. Did take awhile to get check and had to find server but we were in no rush.
Nice place to stop off and sit on the patio and enjoy the action going on in Eyre Square.

AshlingDudley, Manager at The Skeff, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Travelgal 52000 ,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor about your recent visit to The Skeff Bar & Kitchen. Without hearing comments like yours it is impossible to improve our business. As you can see from previous reviews of our food this is not the norm. I have passed your comments on to our kitchen team and I want to thank you for highlighting the issue to us.

I hope if you are in Galway again that you will pop in to visit us so we have the opportunity to show that our food is of a higher standard than what you received on this occasion.

Warm regards,
Food Manger
New York City, New York
“Quick Bite, Good chat, Good drinks”
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

It was just that. A late evening lunch (supper?), good cocktails, and nice bartender. Good place to stop and take in the atmosphere. Super popular with the locals.

AshlingDudley, Manager at The Skeff, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Iozana36,

I was delighted to read that you had a great time with us and that you got to enjoy what we do best- good food and good cocktails. I have passed on your kind words to our team who will only be too happy to have received such kind praise from you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the city of the tribes in the near future.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Are there any staff working here?”
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Myself and a friend had an hour to kill before getting our train home so we decided to go in for something small just to pass the time. We went in and took a menu at the bar and were told to sit anywhere and they'd come to us! 50 minutes had passed and a member of staff was yet to approach our table and no sign of any service we decided we better leave to get our train! On the plus side we got free shelter from the cold.....a nice nibbler would have been good to go with it though.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Sparcher
AshlingDudley, Manager at The Skeff, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Sparcher,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor about your recent visit to The Skeff Bar & Kitchen and my apologies that it was not an enjoyable experience. I was saddened to read that our service was not up to par on the day in question and I will carry out a full investigation to discover where we went wrong.

I hope that if you visit Galway again that you will give us the change to redeem ourselves.