“Lovely family run business”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Clochard B&B

Clochard B&B
Clochard B&B
Ranked #71 of 197 Galway B&B and Inns
“Lovely family run business”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

We recently spent a few days in galway where we stayed at clochard b&b. All I can say is that we both were made to feel as it was our own house. Pat and Helena were very friendly and made us feel at home. Thank you we will definitely be paying them a visit again soon.

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

The previous reviewer stole my thoughts. This was like being at grandma and grandpa's house. Clochard House is a nice B&B on the outskirts of Galway. It sits on a cul de sac which makes it a quiet place to stay. While it is a walk to the center of Galway, it was not too difficult. A previous reviewer states you walk through a "seedy" area, I prefer the british term "dodgy", but at no time did we feel unsafe or threatened.
The rooms are small, the bathrooms smaller, but the shower had good heat and pressure (better than my hotel in Dublin) my wife complained the first morning that the water ran hot and cold, but I did not have that issue and she only did that first morning.
Pat and Helene are great hosts. They recommended taking the ferry to the Aran Islands, and because we could purchase the tickets from them it saved us time and we were able to make the ferry, even though we were running late. They also gave us a ride one night to an irish music and dance show we were attending. Breakfast was delicious and the place did remind me of my grandparents house.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ScottD80905
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

Wow, my wife and I stayed at a few b and bs in Ireland and this was the best. It was like being at grandma and grandpas house. The decor is kitchy and old school, but it felt homey. The proprietors were kind helpful and happy. They arranged all our tours, provided an awesome breakfast and even gave us a ride. This was truly a gem and the location out of town was perfect. A ten minute walk to the city center. Most highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

I have spent two night's at Clochard. The room was nice and clean and have lovely breakfasts. The house is on a quite street so had a lovely sleep both night. I got extraordinary support from Pat and Helena.It started when I arrived to the city and couldn't find the house. Pat kindly offered to pick me up and took to the house! I travelled alone so at the end of the day was nice to share my experience with them and they listened it with opened ears. I felt I visited my old relatives. I'm sure if I visit Galway I will stay at Clochard again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Souris, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

Pat and Helena Hanlon went out of their way to make our stay at their B.& B , the best ever. The room was clean and well maintained. They provided a full Irish breakfast with all one could eat. They provided maps of Galway and ideas about things to do and places to go which visiting Galway. Helena suggested a a full day bus tour through the Connemara region north of Galway. The tour company picked us up at the door and provided a spellbounding tour through a region filled with awe and wonder. It was the highlight of our trip to Ireland. The Clochard is within easy walking distance to all the major cites within Galway city. Pat and Helena treat you like you are part of their family. Thanks for everything.

Room Tip: The location is in a coul de sac -quiet.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lloyd91
Austin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

Clochard is hard to find, but once you realize it's behind a wall... there it is. The room is basic, but everything is clean. Toby the dog, is wonderful. He is not in the B&B, so dont think there is a dog running around. We just had the chance to meet him, and he is great.

The water pressure is not what Americans expect.

Lastly, we only stayed for a night but had booked two. The lady of the house did not apply our deposit and charged us for the full rate of one night, though the man of the house said it was ok for the change when we arrived. So we were out twenty pounds because she doesnt wants to pass on the cost of doing business to her customers instead of understanding that it should be in the rates she charges in the first place. Also, she said that she doesnt accept bookings for 1 night, but there is NO WORD of this on their website or Hostel world when booking or in the confirmation emails. So beware and dont get ahead in your trip.

Never-the-less, the owners were nice, and did I mention Toby?

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cjglancy
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2010

"Clochard" does not mean (as French speakers might suppose) "tramp". It's a combination of Pat and Helena's surnames.
We chose Clochard because we wanted to stay in a B&B and also be within walking distance of the old town; as far as we could tell, only Clochard fitted the bill. It's in a quiet residential area and there are no shops or restaurants nearby, so be prepared for about a 10 minute walk to the centre. The best route is down Shantalla Road to the second intersection, where you can turn left to join the canal, which makes for a pleasant walk. There's also a bus from Shantalla Road to the centre; we are not sure if you need to catch it from a bus stop or if you can just flag it down; certainly once you're on, the driver will let you off anywhere you want.
Pat and Helena are very hospitable, a mine of anecdote and information, and serve an excellent traditional hot Irish breakfast with all the works. The breakfast room is a good place to meet fellow travellers of all nationalities.
The rooms are indeed quite small, but perfectly clean, comfortable and quiet. The back windows look out over the playing fields of, I think, St Mary's College. The bathrooms are modern and functional. The room rates are competitive with those of other similar B&Bs in Galway.
Pat is good at arranging trips to places such as the Aran Islands. He also kindly gave us lifts to the bus stop for the Aran ferry, and to the bus station at the end of our stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple