“Home can never be this good”
Review of Clochard B&B

Clochard B&B
Clochard B&B
Ranked #74 of 187 Galway B&B and Inns
Souris, Canada
“Home can never be this good”
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Pat and Helena Hanlon went out of their way to make our stay at their B.& B , the best ever. The room was clean and well maintained. They provided a full Irish breakfast with all one could eat. They provided maps of Galway and ideas about things to do and places to go which visiting Galway. Helena suggested a a full day bus tour through the Connemara region north of Galway. The tour company picked us up at the door and provided a spellbounding tour through a region filled with awe and wonder. It was the highlight of our trip to Ireland. The Clochard is within easy walking distance to all the major cites within Galway city. Pat and Helena treat you like you are part of their family. Thanks for everything.

Room Tip: The location is in a coul de sac -quiet.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lloyd91

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Austin
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Clochard is hard to find, but once you realize it's behind a wall... there it is. The room is basic, but everything is clean. Toby the dog, is wonderful. He is not in the B&B, so dont think there is a dog running around. We just had the chance to meet him, and he is great.

The water pressure is not what Americans expect.

Lastly, we only stayed for a night but had booked two. The lady of the house did not apply our deposit and charged us for the full rate of one night, though the man of the house said it was ok for the change when we arrived. So we were out twenty pounds because she doesnt wants to pass on the cost of doing business to her customers instead of understanding that it should be in the rates she charges in the first place. Also, she said that she doesnt accept bookings for 1 night, but there is NO WORD of this on their website or Hostel world when booking or in the confirmation emails. So beware and dont get ahead in your trip.

Never-the-less, the owners were nice, and did I mention Toby?

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cjglancy
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Reviewed December 27, 2010

"Clochard" does not mean (as French speakers might suppose) "tramp". It's a combination of Pat and Helena's surnames.
We chose Clochard because we wanted to stay in a B&B and also be within walking distance of the old town; as far as we could tell, only Clochard fitted the bill. It's in a quiet residential area and there are no shops or restaurants nearby, so be prepared for about a 10 minute walk to the centre. The best route is down Shantalla Road to the second intersection, where you can turn left to join the canal, which makes for a pleasant walk. There's also a bus from Shantalla Road to the centre; we are not sure if you need to catch it from a bus stop or if you can just flag it down; certainly once you're on, the driver will let you off anywhere you want.
Pat and Helena are very hospitable, a mine of anecdote and information, and serve an excellent traditional hot Irish breakfast with all the works. The breakfast room is a good place to meet fellow travellers of all nationalities.
The rooms are indeed quite small, but perfectly clean, comfortable and quiet. The back windows look out over the playing fields of, I think, St Mary's College. The bathrooms are modern and functional. The room rates are competitive with those of other similar B&Bs in Galway.
Pat is good at arranging trips to places such as the Aran Islands. He also kindly gave us lifts to the bus stop for the Aran ferry, and to the bus station at the end of our stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kpaxer
Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Clochard B&B was recommended to me by a friend. I have to say I enjoyed my stay there very very much. I was in Galway for a business trip for 3 days. The owners Pat&Helena couldn't do enough for me. They gave me excellent recommendations on things to do and places to eat. As I don't have a car, I found the location of the B&B perfect. It's only about 5 or 10 minutes to Eyre Square and the Eyre Square shopping centre. Also only a short distance to Quays Street where there are some great pubs and musical venues. I had a lovely quiet room and everything was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The breakfast was also fantastic. I felt very much at home. I will go back to Clochard again on my next business trip to Galway.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2010

The place was too far from the town to be convenient for walking- and I like walking. The rooms were very small, and I found the couple who owned the place unfriendly and made me uncomfortable. Breakfast was fine but fruit selection was poor quality. They were able to arrange bus trips to pick up from the B&B which was convenient. Did have wireless internet as well which was a plus. Would not stay again because there are many better options in Galway.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank IrelandLove
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed August 16, 2010

On my first trip abroad ever I was lucky enough to stay in a really great welcoming place call Clochard B&B in Glaway, Ireland. The owners of this B&B was so helpful and kind. I HIGHLY recommend this place!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We stayed 4 nights at the Clochard. From the time we arrived to the time we departed, the hospitality could not have been better. The bedroom had beatiful hardwood floors and the scrumptious breakfast kept us full until well into the afternoon. The menu had many options, but my preference was the traditional Irish breakfast. Pat and Helena arranged tour pick-ups for us. Within a 10 mintue walk there is a pub, 24 hour convenience store, Papa Johns pizza, and chinese take away. If my travels ever bring me back to Galway, I will be sure to stay at the Clochard. Thank you again Helena and Pat!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple