“Great food and drinks!”

Martine's Quay Street Wine Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #74 of 503 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: As a family we have lived and worked on Quay street since 1902 and have a long history of looking after customers with Martine having worked in Margaret Mc Donagh fish shop across the road (McDonagh's Seafood Bar) at a very young age. This tradition was passed on to my brother and I, as we too worked with our mother in her restaurant preparing and serving food. Our family tradition and Galway's Great trading ties with other countries have seeped into the bones of our restaurant and greatly influence everything we do. We believe in local Irish produce prepared simply using traditional and modern techniques from home and around the world.
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I went here for a early Saturday dinner with my family (no kids) and I have to say the food was very good.
The salmon cake was gorgeous! The amount of salmon, size and taste was just perfect!
For mains my parents had the fish of the day which was salmon and a beef burger with chips.
They where both very happy with their meal!
I had rib-eye steak with saute onion and mushroom, pepper sauce (even thou the menu said Bearnaise) and chips and was very happy with that as well! I don't have a finger to put on the taste, but as I am a person who also eat with my eyes and for a price of €22.5 I think a beautiful presentation belong. But the steak was just put over the mushroom and onion and pepper sauce served in a small bowl next to it... I missed some colours to make the food look as good as it tasted!

All in all a beautiful meal!
But do note this is in Quay street and there is a good amount of drunk people walking around even at 5 O'clock... Not for children's families!

1  Thank Heidi H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,147)

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Had a nice meal this evening but was left with sour taste in the mouth when they refused to accept responsibility for a misleading drinks menu. Bottled beers are indicated as being 500 ml in size covering about 5 different beers. I ordered my choice Peroni to find the bottle size is only 330 ml but at the price quoted in the menu. When I raised the issue on settling my bill I was told it was a typo on the menu (not true) and I should have handed it back and got something else. I gave her the opportunity to recognise the error when settling the bill but she insisted on taking the full amount and was not willing to make any gesture for a misleading menu but said I should have handed it back, despite having half the bottle drank before I queried the error....as I said good food and reasonable value but poor approach to dealing with an obvious cock up, not good enough, early bird menu prices don't count for much when drinks prices are over priced and misleading.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

The steak is absolutely fantastic. We came back the following day for a demo during the Galway food festival. The steak was amazing - as good as you can find in Ireland. Lovely ambiance also - very popular restaurant

Reviewed June 20, 2013

A local from Galway suggested I eat at Martines while visiting the city. After cooking at home a few nights, we decided it would be nice to go out to dinner. Martines is situated right on a main road in the Latin Quarter, on Quay Street (pronounced "Key" for all you who try to phonetically sound things out). It's "Show" is in the people watching. You can dine outside on the patio and watch as the tourists and locals alike stream through the streets. We even had two oversized seagulls dine with us (two men dressed in seagull costumes).

The menu caught my eye when doing some internet research, and so my heart was set on the black truffle mac and cheese. There were several things actually, that caught my eye, but I was dead set on the mac. I ordered a side of it (which comes not as a small side but in a large bowl) instead of the entrée. I'm glad I chose the "smaller" version as it was more than enough for my mother and I to share. I was actually quite disappointed with it as you could hardly taste the truffle oil and the breadcrumbs that were on top seemed to take away from the flavor all together.

My duck confit, however, was quite good. It was very large portion of duck, tender and juicy, laid over a bed of mashed potatoes and red cabbage. The two items at the base of the plate seemed a strange pair at first, but honestly, that was my favorite part of the meal. The crunch of the cabbage and the smoothness of the potato matched perfectly. All of this of course was drizzled with a gravy which made it even that much more delightful.

Although disappointed with the mac and cheese, my overall opinion was that Martines was very good. I enjoyed the location, the service was on par, and I would certainly go back.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I eaten here two three years apart and both times very good meal. both times had the fish cakes for starters, decent size cakes with decent amount of salmon in there. one of the best early bird menus.definitely recommend people to book in advance if they are planning on eating here

1  Thank gracetipp