“Excellent deli and fish shop” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cavistons

Cavistons
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent deli and fish shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

Cavistons is legendary and deserves to be. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff here. The selection of cheese is wonderful and no matter who serves you, you feel like they know what they are doing. The fish, while expensive is top class and now they are selling chicken, some marinaded which are delicious. The shops attracts people from all over, they are knowledgeable and friendly and the only thing that puts me off is the massive queue and the fact you always spend more than you planned as everything is tempting.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank moolexjam

Jerusalem, Israel
“We were rushed for time, and still got a wonderful fish meal.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

Two weeks ago, I went to visit a dear friend in the hospital up in Dublin (I'm in County Wexford). I'd heard of Cavistons Seafood Restaurant, and, since a few of us were going up, thought to at least also enjoy a good meal.
Because of a few little mixups, we ended up having less time then we'd planned, for lunch.
The staff were still nothing but welcoming, gracious, and attentive. We had wonderful starters, and delicious fish as main courses. Sadly, I don't remember much, because, when we got to the hospital, our friend was not in as good nick as we'd thought, and actually passed away two days later, so everything but my remembrance of delicious food and wonderful service, has been eclipsed by the subsequent situation.
I plan to return there soon, for a leisurely, and I'm sure equally great, meal. I strongly recommend this establishment; and hit their Food Hall next door: great stuff to take home.

• Visited May 2012
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,005 helpful votes
“Excellent fish....cramped restaurant.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

Cavistons is a landmark family owned and run business in the DunLaoghaire area having dished out fine foods for many decades and they have always run a very good show. The, tiny, restaurant is an addition to the food hall.

For sure they cook fish and they cook it well. You can be guaranted it will be fresh and delicious.This by a long shot is not gourmet cooking. But does good fresh fish need elaboration? Not really. Keep it simple and it will be delicious as it is.

It is not cheap and expect to pay €35-40 for a meal with wine on top. This is on a par with Michelin starred restaurants in Dublin for their 3 course set dinner menu.There is a value lunch set menu €17 for a 2 course/€20 for 3 course. There is also a time regime in place for your lunch. Again a Michelin starred Dublin restaurant (L'Ecrivain) has a set lunch for €25!! That's value.

What puts me off going back is that you are shoe horned in and I just don't like this (as described here) "intimate" feeling. Many will like the closeness and it is all down to personal choice. Be careful what you are saying about the neighbours here as it is a big village!!

For me dining is the overall experience of the relaxed athmosphere (no timing), ambience, service, etc. not just the food, which for me is a deffo 4+ star.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Harleyclarkey
wicklow
“fine fish fan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

good food, great service, smashing atmosphere, and always pick the last sitting to allow as much time as possible to enjoy the great ambiance of this little treasure. Peter is a natural restaurateur and a really nice person. Not cheap but well worth the money.

• Visited October 2011
Rochester, Minnesota
“A gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

Not easy to find--for some reason neither restaurant name nor address would come up on our GPS. However, well worth the effort. Truly outstanding seafood and service. Pleasant simple decor. Many daily specials. Small size(seats 22 by my count) and limited seatings and days of service make advance planning mandatory. Both my partner and I travel alot. This restaurant is among the very best seafood restaurnts in which we have eaten in Europe or the US.

• Visited April 2012