I have a number of small complaints about my stay here which added up to ruin it.
My friend booked a room for herself on Friday the 25th of April and for me and another friend to stay on Saturday the 26th. She was checked in on Friday and her card was swiped and she put in her pin so she assumed she had paid for her Friday night stay. Then she booked our dinner for 6.30 Saturday. On Saturday we phoned down just to say we would be 5 minutes late to dinner. The person on the phone said that there was no booking for us and the restaurant was full. We really wanted our dinner early as we were attending an intensive weekend course for medical professionals and we needed to be in bed early to be alert for Sunday's classes as we would be sticking needles into people. The person on the phone said we could eat in the bar. We arrived in the bar only to be told we could not eat there. After a 20 minute wait at the door of the bar the manager told us we could eat at 9 in the restaurant. We reluctantly agreed and arrived at 9. We ordered food and asked for the bottle of wine that we had been told was included in our package. The waitress said it was included in the early bird dinner but we explained about the mix up and that we had wanted and booked an early bird meal. She said she would check and asked us what wine we would like if it was due. She arrived with 3 half glasses of white wine and so we assumed it was our inclusive wine. We were not finished until late and were very put out. At breakfast we had to ask 3 times for tea/coffee and then the pots were left on our table but we had only 1 cup. None of us wanted cooked breakfast but two of us wanted toast but were not told that you could order it from the wait staff and we only saw other people getting it at the end of our breakfast. Then one of us went upstairs and her key card did not work so she had to get security to let her in. When two of us checked out there was a charge for 3 glasses of wine on our bill but disputing it got us nowhere so we had to pay. There was also confusion as to whether our other friend had paid for her Friday night stay. We informed the staff member that our friend had left her bags with them behind the counter and that she would be back a 3.15 to get them and to sort out the payment issue. Despite this they proceeded to phone her in the course numerous times (aprox. every 20 mins.) so that she had to turn off her phone.The two of us went downstairs to the car park pay station and realized we were entitled to free parking and so had to go back upstairs and queue at reception again to validate the ticket. It would have been helpful to be asked if we had parked in the car park when we were checking out. To top it off the ticket did not work at the barrier and we had to press the assist button. When our friend came back later she was given the wrong bags despite the tickets being different. I had stayed there before and had recommend it to the girls but I wouldn't again. The hotel was clean and the rooms were fine, with a mini fridge and good temperature control with a powerful shower and plenty of hot water. On Friday our friend had left a note for housekeeping asking for extra towels as there was only enough for 1 but they made up the room and did not leave the towels so she had to go up the corridor after them. The food was good but the time mixed up ruined our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Steeped in history and a favourite with the locals, this landmark Hotel is an impressive sight on the Dun Laoghaire skyline. Since 1828, a Dublin Hotel has occupied the site now occupied by the Royal Marine Hotel. With 228 Bedrooms, 14 Dedicated Meeting Rooms and a Conference Centre as well as The Pier Health Club and sananaSPA; the Royal Marine Hotel has it all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Priceline, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and HRS so you can book your Royal Marine Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Marine dún Laoghaire
- Hotel Royal Marine
- Royal Marine Hotel Dublin
- Royal Marine Hotel Dun Laoghaire, Ireland - County Dublin