“Faulty Towers”

Royal Marine Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
“Faulty Towers”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I have a number of small complaints about my stay here which added up to ruin it.
My friend booked a room for herself on Friday the 25th of April and for me and another friend to stay on Saturday the 26th. She was checked in on Friday and her card was swiped and she put in her pin so she assumed she had paid for her Friday night stay. Then she booked our dinner for 6.30 Saturday. On Saturday we phoned down just to say we would be 5 minutes late to dinner. The person on the phone said that there was no booking for us and the restaurant was full. We really wanted our dinner early as we were attending an intensive weekend course for medical professionals and we needed to be in bed early to be alert for Sunday's classes as we would be sticking needles into people. The person on the phone said we could eat in the bar. We arrived in the bar only to be told we could not eat there. After a 20 minute wait at the door of the bar the manager told us we could eat at 9 in the restaurant. We reluctantly agreed and arrived at 9. We ordered food and asked for the bottle of wine that we had been told was included in our package. The waitress said it was included in the early bird dinner but we explained about the mix up and that we had wanted and booked an early bird meal. She said she would check and asked us what wine we would like if it was due. She arrived with 3 half glasses of white wine and so we assumed it was our inclusive wine. We were not finished until late and were very put out. At breakfast we had to ask 3 times for tea/coffee and then the pots were left on our table but we had only 1 cup. None of us wanted cooked breakfast but two of us wanted toast but were not told that you could order it from the wait staff and we only saw other people getting it at the end of our breakfast. Then one of us went upstairs and her key card did not work so she had to get security to let her in. When two of us checked out there was a charge for 3 glasses of wine on our bill but disputing it got us nowhere so we had to pay. There was also confusion as to whether our other friend had paid for her Friday night stay. We informed the staff member that our friend had left her bags with them behind the counter and that she would be back a 3.15 to get them and to sort out the payment issue. Despite this they proceeded to phone her in the course numerous times (aprox. every 20 mins.) so that she had to turn off her phone.The two of us went downstairs to the car park pay station and realized we were entitled to free parking and so had to go back upstairs and queue at reception again to validate the ticket. It would have been helpful to be asked if we had parked in the car park when we were checking out. To top it off the ticket did not work at the barrier and we had to press the assist button. When our friend came back later she was given the wrong bags despite the tickets being different. I had stayed there before and had recommend it to the girls but I wouldn't again. The hotel was clean and the rooms were fine, with a mini fridge and good temperature control with a powerful shower and plenty of hot water. On Friday our friend had left a note for housekeeping asking for extra towels as there was only enough for 1 but they made up the room and did not leave the towels so she had to go up the corridor after them. The food was good but the time mixed up ruined our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Aurora B
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Aurora B,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with your friends at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. Thank you also for contacting the hotel directly with your feedback which I have addressed and investigated today in a positive and constructive way. We have investigated the circumstances of your stay at length and clarified back to you directly on all of the issues that you have raised.

I am sorry for any inconveniences and frustrations caused during your stay and hope that I have clarified all matters for you and I hope that you will consider staying with us again at some stage in the future if circumstances permit.

We always appreciate any opportunity to engage with our guests directly and deal with any issues that occur so thank you for giving us the opportunity to do this on this occasion.

Aidan Ryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

I have never stayed in a hotel where the staff run around like headless chickens!! We are a couple with a young 4 year old child and decided to take an over night stay at this hotel. Upon arrival the receptionist was very nice, what a pity the rest of the staff could not take note of her manners. As the room wasn't ready we decided to ave a bite to eat in Hardy's Bar. We ordered a burger, a BLT and chicken nuggets for the child from the waiter who seemed to be in a complete panic to ake our order. As we were engrossed in our conversation, we didnt really notice the wait for our food but after an hour I asked how long more we would have to wait. I was told it would be another 10 minutes or so. When the food eventually arrived it was nice and tasty. The waiter did apologise for the delay.
We had the same delay in the restaurant after that evening. The male waiter (perhaps a manager in a suit) was rude, arrogant and obviously didnt want us or anyone bothering him.
The breakfast was just ok, pretty cold and again served by another manic robot of a waitress.
Overall, this hotel has clean bedrooms, nice towels, good swimming pool and ok fodbut the staff and the atmosphere are manic. The bar is not one you would sit at and relax it s more a stop off point for the manic waiters and waitress' refilling the ice buckets, jugs of water..... It's just crazy. Everyone is running, there is no relaxed ambiance infact if you go here to get away from it all or in anyway stressed, I feel it would leave you needing time in a mental hospital.
The management need to stop and take a real look at this hotel and how the staff are treating the guests and each other! The most unrelaxed, rushed, manic hotel I ave ever stayed in and I will never be back!!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank SiobhanConway1974
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear SiobhanConway1974,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was very disappointed to read your comments and would be grateful if you could contact me here at the hotel directly or on email at Aryan@royalmarine.ie. We aim to ensure that all guests have an enjoyable stay at the hotel and experience all that we have to offer and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations in this regard.

We always appreciate an opportunity to engage with our guests in a constructive manner and I would really appreciate if you could contact me directly so that we may learn more about your stay with us and use this feedback in a constructive way to improve for the future.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2014

stayed for 4 days ,loved it.Had sea view room which made a great difference.Staff lovely and very helpful everywhere very clean.We only ate in bar but food was excellent.Liked the little fridge for guest use.Especially handy for people with children.Coffee bar is great and well priced.
Only criticism pool was very dark and I found it difficult to get orientated.Otherwise excellent

Room Tip: sea view is super.
Dear niamh090,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your positive comments on the hotel and thank you for all of your nice words about the hotel and stay that you experienced with us.

I sincerely hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

lancashire
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Can't count the number of times we've stayed here...but as always, great value...reception staff just great and friendly, hardys bar food great too, had a long wait though, I think our food order got mixed up with someone else's, apologies from the waiters, worth the wait. Sansanaspa reception not over friendly but ok...our room standard, would love a sea view though. As mentioned in other reviews some of the chairs in the lounge should be removed, doesn't look too great with the tatty look. We will be back in November...

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear LancashireQueenBee,

Thank you for visiting the hotel recently again and thank you for psting a review of your stay on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you had another pleasant stay in the hotel and thank you for all of your nice comments about the hotel and our staff.

We are in the process of upgrading all our furniture in the lounge area and I hope that you will see a major difference here when you next stay in the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in November.

Winter Springs, Florida
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Although it was rated 4 stars the inside was dark and the rooms were not well lit. The service in the Hardy bar was terrible, they seemed to want us to leave---they were very slow and not attentive---we did not feel special....Their breakfast was good and the staff at the front desk was helpful. It is pretty far away from the city center. But transportation options are good, city bus, taxi, or dart transit.

Room Tip: get the king size bed
1 Thank Gene F
Dear Gene F,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed to read your comments on the service in Hardys Bar but I can assure you that there was not any intention to encourage you to leave the bar on any occasion. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly on email at aryan@royalmarine.ie so that we may learn more about your experience in Hardy's Bar and use your feedback constructively in the future. Thank you for your nice comments about the breakfast served and our staff at reception and I do hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Northern Ireland
Reviewed April 26, 2014

spent a very pleasant two night stay recently at this hotel. Lovely spacious room, very clean and comfortable. Had a lovely meal in the restaurant and staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and approachable. very nice breakfast.

if you don't want a newspaper though I would mention this at reception as we woke to find paper under our door and thought it was a nice touch but on checking out found we were charged for it.

would definitely stay here again and it is in a superb location.

Dear bc13cat,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and thank you for all of your nice comments about the hotel and service here. Thank you also for your nice comments about our hard working staff.

I do hope that you will have another opportunity to visit us again soon.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay if you are expecting 4star service, the minority of rude staff upstage the polite and helpful few, one of the "bar mangers" is definitely in wrong profession, ignores customers and when he does decide to serve, I can honestly say is diabolical service.
The food is good, and rooms are clean and fit for purpose, customer service and organisation needs a major overhaul.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view, unfortunately not available on my visit
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank chelleBelfast
Dear chelleBelfast,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was bitterly disappointed to read your comments on the service level you experienced in the hotel. We work hard every day to maintain and improve standards and always try and use all guest feedback in a constructive manner to correct and improve upon any issues that arise in a positive manner. In this light, I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at the hotel or on email at Aryan@royalmarine.ie so that we may learn more about your experience with us.

Thank you for your nice comments on the food served and on the standard of accommodation that you experienced and I hope to hear from you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dun Laoghaire
#3 of 151 in Dublin
Talbot Hotel Stillorgan
Talbot Hotel Stillorgan
#1 of 1 in Stillorgan

Been to Royal Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!