“weekend break”
Review of Royal Marine Hotel

Royal Marine Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Marine for a three night package and enjoyed the experience. The staff are very friendly and proffesional. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The gym has great equipment and plenty of it so no waiting about to use it. We also took use of the jacuzzi and steam/sauna room. The food was also excellent - great variety at breakfast and good choices on the restaurant/bar menus.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Beedoo_10,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel so much. Thank you for all of your nice comments on the hotel, the food served and on our leisure facilities. Thank you also for commenting on the quality of our hard working staff and their friendliness and professionalism.

I hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon in Dun Laoghaire.

There are newer reviews for Royal Marine Hotel

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed for just one. The front desk was excellent. I felt very welcome and cared for. The room in itself was ok, not spacious but not too small. I had no view - I saw some sort of corridor or an inner court yard wall or something. No matter, I closed the drapes and relaxed. For this the hotel is great. The breakfast humoungous and excellent. The breakfast room very noisy - my neighbor was conducting a telco at a volume suitable for an opera while I tried to gobble up my cereal and get out of there. The previous tenant had burned the iron and I destroyed my shirt. I mentioned it when checking out and the front desk offered to refund the shirt if the stain won't come off in a wash. I appreciate the offer, however as I was going to a meeting with black stain on my collar I actually would've even paid if they would've had a shirt for me at the desk. Anyway, nice stay in huge hotel where you somehow still feel treated somewhat personally. I'll come again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear llefu,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and thank you for all of your nice comments about the hotel, the food served and the special welcome that you felt that you recieved in the hotel.

Please do contact us in the event that the stain does not remove from your short and we will be glad to assist you with this.

I do hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon and thank you again for your time.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed here recently with my husband. We won a competition and received a gift voucher for 2 nights bed and breakfast. It was our wedding anniversary and when we arrived we were given a room upgrade to the 6th floor. the room was lovely and was spotless, the housekeeping was excellent. The breakfast was plentiful and hot, and the staff were lovely. Would recommend this hotel to all my friends and family. We had a lovely time.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank denise m

Dear denise m,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel for your wedding anniversary and thank you for all of your nice comments on the hotel, the standard of housekeeping, the food and the service your received from our hard working staff.

I hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I recently stayed in the Royal Marine & loved it friendly, efficient check in, ordered room service again friendly chatty server. Beautiful room on 6th floor over looking bay. Lovely breakfast in the morning with great selection again with friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank eleanor m
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear eleanor m,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your positive comments on the hotel, service and food provided and i do hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I read such great reviews so I was quite surprised to find the hotel was in need of many cosmetic updates in and out. It's a great place and a lovely older Victorian so it would be great to see it brought back to life. Unfortunately for the hotel a bigger building is being erected between the hotel and water view. I understand the recession hit them pretty hard and given they are not directly in Dublin I can see why. We decided to stay here because it was water front and a short train ride into the city. The train is about a block from there and easy to take but a bit pricey which is no reflection on the hotel. We had a few mishaps which I blamed on not enough staff for the crowd but they were quick to correct or make right which I very much appreciated. The one thing I will warn you of is the rooms next to the elevator. There was one wall between the elevator and our bedroom so we heard the elevator go up and down in our room. I know older places have issues but it kept me from sleeping soundly. I heard it even through earplugs but they only had one other room and it had a pull out sofa for the 3rd person, which we didn't want to sleep on. Since we were only there 3 nights we lived with it. The room and bath were otherwise clean and roomy and the beds were very comfy, which I really needed after the hotel stop before this. We ate dinner there twice and the food was good too. I read a review that breakfast was included. Maybe on some rooms or back when it was written but that wasn't the case when we went. Also wifi is only available in the lobby.

Room Tip: As stated in review don't accept a room near elevations. It's an old building so walls are t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Atlrosey
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Dear Atlrosey,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. Thank you for all of your positive and constructive comments on the hotel and I am sorry to read that noise from an elevator interrupted your sleep in the hotel.

Please feel free to contact me directly on email at aryan@royalmarine.ie and I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you directly. We work extremely hard to exceed our guests expectations every day here in the hotel and always seek way to improve upon what we do and listening to our guest feedback is the best way to provide real and proper insights into how we can continue to improve every day.

Thank you for your nice comments on your room and the food served in the hotel. Breakfast is included in our rates when a Bed & Breakfast rate has been booked. Breakfast can also be charged to guest rooms at any time during a guest stay so it is always available to guests who may have booked a Room Only rate also.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I hope to hear from you soon and that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Good points
- helpful reception, nice welcome
- beautiful exterior
- great location on the bay
- room was comfortable although hotel is getting a bit old
Could be better
- usual breakfast room was great - good selection, bright room, friendly staff - but I was asked to go to the breakfast annex area for one morning as usual area was full. The annex was poorly lit, less friendly service and less choice of breakfast - even though staff had assured me it was just the same as the usual breakfast area
- service generally was uneven, some staff were very helpful and professional , others were obviously work-shy
- room was meant to have a sea view but........ a very small box window in the double room. No big problem really as you can just walk outside and see the same great view. Still it's a bit disappointing if you pay extra and that little window is all you get
- no wifi in rooms - this should not happen at any 4 star hotel in 2013

Room Tip: If you book the sea view rooms then check the room when you book in. You can always ask for an impro...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Matthew M,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your positive comments on the hotel and thank you for highlighting all of the areas that you felt positive about and some of the areas where you feel that we can improve on certain aspects of what we do.

Our Hardys Bar breakfast area does offer the same choice as the restaurant for breakfast in the dining room of the hotel and I would be interested to know why you felt some of our staff were work shy. Our staff are extremely hard working in all areas but I would certainly appreciate any further detail you would like to share with me directly on this point. Please feel free to contact me on email at aryan@royalmarine.ie. We are currently finalising our roll out of free WIFI provision to all hotel bedrooms and I agree that this is certainly an expected standard in hotels of our standard today.

Thank you for sharing your review and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights for a CIE tour. Not really sure why CIE picked this hotel. Is it nice yes, is it in a good location yes. So maybe that is why! It is an older hotel and a little dreary. We upgraded to a sea view which was nice we had a porch and what people say about the construction is true. It will affect the beautiful view on one side but that is nothing the hotel can do about that. They started early and quit late so the noise was really quite bad. Then there was a wedding people everywhere music loud had to miniver your way in hotel and to the lifts. Now about the food breakfast good and plenty, staff stiff and short not friendly at all. Just doing their job. One morning total mess people everywhere not enough help. You would think that the hotel knowing that had all these tour people along with wedding people and the rest would have planned accordingly. Food at Hardys truly sucked!!! Sent back two meals waitress dropped off food never once came back to ask if everything was ok. Had to go find her because she was washing glasses for the first return and the second just left it on my plate when another person cleared the table asked was I done. Yes I was.. We did not eat there again and did not recommend it. Not a good way to start our vacation. CIE would do better if they found a place that was a little less flash and more warm and welcoming. It is a shame that the management does not see any of these issues. First impressions is your front desk and some of their employees need to learn how to smile especially the man at the desk when we were there seems like it was an imposition for him to answer a question. With that said the tour was wonderful and CIE I would recommend this hotel however is another story.

Stayed: August 2013
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear jwilliams1228,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. Thank you for all of your positive and constructive comments on the hotel, food and service and I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to speak with you directly on the issues where your expectations were not met by the hotel. I would be particularly interested to know why the food in Hardys Bar was not served to your expectations. Please contact me directly here at the hotel or on email at aryan@royalmarine.ie and I will be glad to hear your further thoughts on your stay with us.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dun Laoghaire
#1 of 1 in Stillorgan
Clontarf Castle Hotel
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#3 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Royal Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!