“Shame about the little things.”
Review of Royal Marine Hotel

Royal Marine Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
Dublin Ireland
“Shame about the little things.”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed here with my partner for the weekend recently, and decided to upgrade to an executive room with a sea view and balcony. Got a lovely room on the 5th floor in a newish wing on the hotel, and had a beautiful view over Dun Laoghaire harbour.
Only when we started to look into things a bit deeper, did the cracks appear, literally. The balcony was covered in bird droppings from the many seagulls that land with a thud on the roof, so you can imagine the mess they leave, on the wood and glass of the balcony. On the wall behind the tv in the room was a sizeable crack in the wall, looks like a minor earthquake had hit. This sort of thing should be filled in and repainted, especially if you are with somebody who has a phobia about spiders and all things creepy crawlie.
There was a fridge in the room, and being an executive room, I at least expected a couple of bottles of water in it, but was left wanting in that department. A couple of other little things niggled me too. When our breakfast tray came up to the room, I was almost held to ransom for the €6 charge, because we had the cheek to pay for our room by cash, in ADVANCE. I wanted to watch a comedy film on the tv one of the nights, only €12.90 for the privelege, but alas it wasnt to be. They did not have a credit card swiped for us, and I couldnt be bothered going all the way round the hotel to hand over cash that could have waited till morning time.
Its the little things like this that bothers me in a hotel, and would quite probably influence whether I stay there again or not.

Room Tip: Get a seaview room.Simple.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Johnjonea,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was disappinted to read your comments on the little things in the hotel that disappointed you, however delighted that your overall rating of the hotel was favourable. I will certainly address the settlement crack that was in the bedroom that you stayed in and would also highlight that we do clean our balconies every day, however due to our proximity to the sea, it is not possible to keep our balconies completely clean at all times during a guest stay in the hotel.

I am also pleased to clarify the hotels position with regards to payment for accommodation charges and extras. In the event that a guest chooses to pay for accomodation in advance and not to leave a swipe of a credit card at reception for extras, additonal charges such as room service, pay movies and any other charges are not permitted to be charged to the guests room account. Such practices are now commonplace within most hotels and our staff must follow this instruction at all times. I am sorry however that you found this unsatisfactory, however we do ask all guests upon arrival if they wish to leave a credit card swipe to allow for the facility for extras to be charged to the guests room account.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I do hope that you will consider staying with us again soon.

Aidan Ryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
lancashire
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Our fourth visit to the royal marine and won't be our last... This time, just my teen daughter and myself..arrived at 11am, room not ready, but hey, no problem, they swiftly took our cases and we went down to the harbour for a snack and coffee..
Reception staff helpful. Our room, was the usual standard.. We unfortunately have never been upgraded to a sea view but, the dun laoghaire regatta was in full swing so, the hotel was probably full.maybe next time?
We used the spa, after a busy day, very relaxing, our meal was in hardys bar, service very good, and friendly..retired early after an early flight..beds extremely good quality and bed linen gorgeous..up early the next day and out all day, some naughty leprechaun had put a " do not disturb" sign on our door, so when we got back around 6pm, our room hadn't been refreshed...but, on our way down to the spa, I popped to reception, and they swiftly took up clean towels and coffee, tea etc...beds not made though...no worries..but, it is a nice treat to have your bed made when on your Hols...
Check out swift and the chap who looks after luggage is very nice, he works so hard and is very cheery...can't wait for our next trip to dun laoghaire...and the royal Marine will get my hard earned cash every time....keep it up, and don't change please...

Stayed July 2013
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear LancashireQueenBee,

Thank you so much for posting a review of your most recent stay with us here at the Royal Marine. Thank you for all of your nice comments on the hotel and our staff and I was delighted to read that you have enjoyed all of your visits to the hotel and the area. I look forward to sharing your feedback with your team and thank you for highligting the efforts of our of Leo, our Concierge who looked after your luggage.

An upgrade to one of our seaview rooms is certainly possible on your next visit to us and I would be delighted to assit you in organising this on your next visit to the hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Located a bit out of town on the southern shore of Dublin Bay, this character filled hotel has recently remodelled and comfortably appointed accommodation. The staff are welcoming and helpful and the meals are good. Overall, a restful and valuable experience.

Room Tip: Try for a waterfront view, but this now somewhat compromised by interposed construction site.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dera Vince H,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your positive comments on the hotel and and glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your nice comments about our hard working staff also.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Rochester, Michigan
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Excellent Irish breakfast with eggs, sausage, juice, pastries, fruit, etc. Excellent location - not down in the heart of Dublin which is busy and noisy - but easily accessible to city by the Dart train. Used the Aircoach to arrive from Dublin Airport which is available at the terminals and then took it right to the front door of the hotel for 9 euros. Easily picked up there for return trip also. Good workout facilities, lobby, service, etc. Staff very helpful and gracious. Nice grounds with room for lounging outside in the front with views of the harbor. A great alternative to staying in the city, which has all the problems that most big cities have. Easy to get a rental car from Dooleys delivered to the hotel. Made it very convenient for exploring the rest of the country. Couldn't have picked a better location. Building must have been fabulous in its glory days, just could use some sprucing up. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front, facing the harbor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JanetHarperLong
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
DearJanetHarperLong,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your positive comments on the hotel. Thank you for highlighting all of the positive aspects of your stay in the hotel and the area and I hope that yuou will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Reading other recent reviews my experience was pretty much the same, i found the building to be extraordinary, maintaining nods to its former glory whilst having been modernised and updated in a brilliant way. Yes the views from my room were poor, i hate a brick wall as well as any other customer, and i think my small balcony was a little unsafe with loose boards, yes the wireless was poor and the building site, new library outside would have obscured the view of the sea.

However, the room was excellent, beds were superb and the staff excellent in all aspects.

Location is also terrific if you want to be close to Dublin but not actually in the city

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Martyn H
Dear Martyn H,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your positive comments on the hotel and thank you for commenting favourably on your room, the beds and the staff which you found to be excellent in all aspects.

Our seaview rooms which still have magnificent views of the harbour, Dublin Bay and across to Howth are bookable at the time of booking or upon arrival in the hotel subject to availability. We do provide free WIFI in our public areas and free ethernet broadband in our guest bedrooms at present and are currently working on a solution to provide WIFI to all guestrooms within the next few weeks. Our balconies are maintained by our maintenance staff on a regular basis and I believe you may have reported this to us during your stay and I thank you sincerely for that.

I hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon in Dun Laoghaire.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel is in a southern suburb of Dublin (Dun Laoghaire). Stayed here two nights. Very elegant hotel. Excellent breakfasts. Ate dinner in the bar, very tasty and lots of food. Good service. There is a pool but we did not use it. Loved the ambience. Nice sized room, with work desk and a leather sofa. Rooms had the best mattresses I have ever slept on in a hotel. Hotel is a few minutes' walk from the DART rail station which will take you into center city dublin in about 1/2 hour. I would recommend this hotel, and I would stay here again.

2 Thank Anne C
Dear Anne C,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. Thank you for all of your nice comments about the hotel and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. In particular, thank you for highligting the comfort of our 'Pillow Top' beds which are a firm favourite with many of our guests.

I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Belfast
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed in the Royal Marine as an alternative to staying in the centre of Dublin and really enjoyed the location - we were there during a bit of a heatwave so perhaps it is untypical, but the seaside location of Dun Laoghaire was buzzing with crowds walking along the promenade. There were a reasonable selection of restaurants close by the hotel and also good, quick access to Dublin via the Dart.

The hotel itself looks impressive, albeit a little faded on the outside, with grand reception and common areas. Parking, beneath the hotel, is free for hotel guests.

Our room was fine, although as a standard room, it looked onto a roof and wall and I felt a few plants or trees would have improved the prison like aspect somewhat! A room with a view would have been lovely, and there were cards in the room making you aware that you could upgrade at a cost. The room itself was well appointed with the level of facilities you would expect in a 4 star hotel. We were very happy to find a working and effective cooling system given our Irish inability to cope with any kind of hot weather.

Breakfast was fine although service was a little erratic - friendly, but slightly chaotic. Most food is available from a buffet area although I felt there were too many things that should have been basics, only offered on a request basis (including beans and poached eggs).

We had a few niggles:Our room key cards were not programmed properly on check in so we couldn't use the lift or access our room right away and had to visit reception again to get them sorted. Both mornings, our names weren't on the list for breakfast, although we had booked B&B rate. I also felt having to buy a lock if you wanted to secure your belongings whilst using the spa is ridiculous. As another guest commented, wifi is not available in rooms which really should be standard at this stage (although it was good in the public areas). We could also hear music from the late night wedding party on our second evening - a little annoying but not really bad.

Overall, we were happy with our stay and I can see us returning if we are visiting Dublin again.

1 Thank lavapalava
Dear lavapalava,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. Thank you for your nice comments on your room and I note the suggestions you have made regarding the view. Our seaview rooms are bookable at the time of booking or can be requested on arrival subject to their availability. Due to the high demand for our seaview rooms, the only way to guarantee a seaview room is to reserve one when booking. Thank you for commenting favourably on the facilities of your bedroom.

We provide a number of items such as poached eggs, fried eggs, boiled eggs, porridge and beans upon a request basis as we feel the quality of these items is not the standard that we would like if they are presented on the buffet. Such items are easily available upon request form the waiting staff and we feel that this is a better standard of food quality for our guests.

I would certainly like to look into the reasons why your names did not appear on our breakfast listing and can understand for the frustration this may have caused. I would assume however that my staff acted quickly to ensure that this did not cause an inconvenience to you. I would like to discuss your stay with you directly if you would like to contact me here at the hotel or by email on aryan@royalmarine.ie. I would be delighted to hear from you.

WIFI will be available in all of our guest rooms within a short period of time as we are currently working on this project by investing further in this area. Thank you again for taking the time to post your review and I do hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

In the meantime, I hope to hear from you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dun Laoghaire
#1 of 1 in Stillorgan
Clontarf Castle Hotel
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#3 of 151 in Dublin

Been to Royal Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!