“Long Weekend 17th-21st May”
Review of Royal Marine Hotel

Royal Marine Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
Chesham, United Kingdom
“Long Weekend 17th-21st May”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed for four nights to attend the rugby final in Dublin. Our rooms were lovely, the breakfasts great and we ate in the Hardy Bar on the last night, excellent food. The staff were very helpful, and though there is noise from the new library being constructed near by, it did not spoil our stay.The Dart nearby is the easy way to get into Dublin, or along the coast for wonderful views. The Shackelton exhibition on the harbour was a bonus. Highly recommended

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Gerald B,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your positive comments on the hotel, the staff and the food served at breakfast and in Hardys Bar. Thank you for highlighting the DART rail service to the city and for highlighting the Shackleton Exhibition which is housed in the Ferry Terminal and is certainly worth a visit.

We hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you to the hotel again soon.

Aidan Ryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Swansea South Wales UK
Reviewed May 22, 2013

we stayed for three nights 16,17,18 to attend the rugby weekend first impressions were good the room was clean but did have two damp patches on the ceiling and the veneer was lifting on the furniture the bed was very good. next morning 7 30 am the industrial hammer started on the building site not 200 yards away. then breakfast looked forward to the irish breakfast advertised, not so buffet style pick up your own ok by me, but the food was cold. No notice placed to inform you to ask for toast or full irsh ,we later found this out word out word of mouth from other guests. second night after a day in Dublin we were kept awake by a band in the ballroom until the early hours and the noise from people leaving to go to there homes. We were on the sixth floor room 602 the following morning 0731 hrs the building site started again . almost called it a day on the 17th it was only the rugby that kept us in Dublin. ALL IN ALL VERY DISAPPOINTED 371 pound would have been better off in a premier inn they guarantee a quiet night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear PeterMiers,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed to read of the experiences of your stay and apologise that your stay did not meet with your expectations. I will certainly investigate the issue with noise from the building site that is clsoe to the hotel as it should certainly not begin this early and although this is completely outside of our control, I am very unhappy that this impacted on your stay on two mornings. Our buffet breakfast is a full self service buffet with items such as boiled, fried, poached eggs and porridge available upon request. Our buffet is served from hot chafing dishes which are replenished regularly and I apologise that your breakfast was cold and I would like to find out the exact specifics of this if you would like to contact me here at the hotel or on email at aryan@royalmarine.ie.

Thank you for providing your feedback and I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Lovely hotel and a great place to stay outside of Dublin. 5-10 min walk from the DART station, which brings you into Dublin city centre in 25 minutes.
--Pros: Great, modern rooms with a touch of classic; friendly check-in staff, restaurant and cafe with very decent food, very good sleep :)
--Cons: Shower door didn't have a drip guard which caused the entire bathroom to flood after a shower. They quickly fixed it, though it was by putting on a moldy rubber that smelled very strong. I'm sure they would have changed that again if I asked, but I only had 1 night left so I didn't bother. It also seems to be a choice hotel for weddings and prom nights (we had one of each) so it may be noisy if you're stuck with party guests.
Overall great experience and I'd stay there again!

1 Thank chicogo
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear chicogo,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your comments and positive thoughts on your stay in the hotel and thank you for your constructive comments also about your stay which I will certianly bear in mind for future guests.

I hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Aiken, South Carolina
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I spent 2 nights at the Royal Marine Hotel as part of a CIE tour. We checked in at 9am and the desk staff was courteous and welcoming, and gave us rooms promptly without making us wait until check-in time. (Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!). The room was large and very comfortable, with free wifi in room and in giant front lobby restaurant/bar. Lobby had beautiful high ceilings, Chrystal chandeliers and carved archways at stairway entries. Large windows look out over the harbor from the front of the hotel. Menu and food quality were first class in lobby restaurant and in pub. Leave it to CIE to introduce me to another great hotel find! I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eurogirl1454
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Roberta K,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel so much and thank you so much for all of your positive comments and remarks on the hotel and service provided. Thank you for the nice comments on the food served throughout the hotel also.

I look forward to sharing your comments with the team here and I hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Mold, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Lovely hotel with a great setting, we arrived on Friday lunchtime and even though check in wasn't until 2pm, our room was ready. I did ring down to reception when we got to it as I had requested a twin room and this had a double and a single bed which I would class more as a family room. When I spoke to the receptionist she said that was the configuration of the twin rooms (not particularly fair if travelling with a friend and you have to decide who has the big bed and the small one!!)

We met another friend for lunch on the Friday and so went and made ourselves comfortable in the Atrium and although the staff were very busy, they were all very helpful and polite. We had a lovely afternoon and lunch.

The beds were very comfortable with lots of pillows, found the room to be hot but was fine once the air conditioning was put on. Unfortunately our room overlooked a derelict house down a side street which wasn't really the view we hoped for! The sink in our bathroom wasn't draining properly and we did let reception know on Saturday morning but nothing was done about it whilst we were there.

We found the room to be quite dark despite having all the lights on (for doing hair and make up!) - and a tip from me for the ladies - take your own hair dryer as the one supplied is in the bathroom and isn't really useful if you are trying to do any type of styling! (and is probably the reason that the sink was blocked..with hair)

Breakfast was fine on both mornings, with a good selection of hot and cold food - and eggs cooked to order if you didn't want scrambled. Have seen some reviews about the service being a bit slow over breakfast but we didn't have a problem with ordering tea and toast.

Overall a nice hotel, I would try and get a better view than the side road - but didn't really want to pay an extra 40 euros when the stay was already on the expensive side. All the staff were helpful and courteous and a credit to he hotel.

We didn't use the spa - and if we were planning to, didn't have the necessary swim hat and flip flops with us (although you could apparently purchase these at reception!)

Hotel is well placed for Dun Laoghaire ferry and the Dart into Dublin is within minutes walk.

Room Tip: try and get a sea view or something not overlooking a road!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear gilldavies4,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your positive and constructive comments on the hotel and pleased that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel so much. Thank you for your nice comments on the hotel staff who are indeed very hardworking and a credit to the hotel and to themselves.

Thank you for your time and I hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My brother and new wife had their wedding reception in the Royal Marine. As best man, I can't say enough for the hotel and staff, particularly Paul. The day was hectic with greetings, photos, gifts etc. The staff were constantly near to help with everything. They went that extra two miles to ensure everything ran smoothly.

The hotel itself is fantastic. It is modern in one way and incredibly historic in another way. It is almost 200 years old and has seen many famous guests. It is in a good location with great views of Howth and the Irish Sea.

Room Tip: Go for the sea view rooms
Dear Dublin_Irish_10,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay and visit to the Royal Marine Hotel for the occasion of your brothers wedding. Thank you for your nice comments on the hotel, and on our Banqueting Manager Paul in particular. I'm delighted that you and your family enjoyed the day and I hope that you will have another opportunity to visit us again soon.

Laois
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Just back from a 3 night stay and can't recommend the hotel and staff highly enough. We upgraded to a sea view room with little balcony and the views were amazing. The room was very comfortable, bath separate shower (which was lovely!), fridge, air con, tea/coffee, iron etc, more than expected really. Breakfast was lovely with a great selection and fab service.
The hotel itself is full of old world charm, with modern rooms etc. The lobby was comfortable to relax in. The ambiance in the hotel in general was really nice and relaxed. The pool is really nice also. All in all, a very relaxing stay, food was lovely, staff lovely and very helpful and the location was great.
Hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Sea view recommended!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shalomie
Dear Shalomie,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read all of your positive comments on the hotel, the food and the facilities provided throughout. I am also always very pleased to read about the comments our guests make on our staff and thank you for these also.

I do hope that you will have another opportunity to visit us again in Dun Laoghaire very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dun Laoghaire
#1 of 1 in Stillorgan
Clontarf Castle Hotel
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#3 of 151 in Dublin

Been to Royal Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!