“Very enjoyable stay”
Review of Royal Marine Hotel

Royal Marine Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We got bought a one night stay as a present. On arrival the hotel does look a little worn from the outside, but once inside it is much nicer.

We got a free upgrade to a suite on the third floor which was a lovely surprise. The room itself was enormous and nicely decorated. The sofa and armchair were so soft to sink into. The bed was very comfortable.The bathroom was clean, but quite small and a little dated.

The hotel location was great for getting the dart into Dublin.

We didn't eat dinner in the hotel, but breakfast was very nice and service was good.

All summary, it was a great stay and we would return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear SSmyth,

Thank you for sharing a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel so much. Thank you for your nice comments about your room, the breakfast served and the service in the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed in this hotel in November 2012 for two weeks. Rooms were comfortable, food quite basic, efficient conference facilities and a good view of the harbor. Nice sprawling grounds and convenient to the train station to get to downtown Dublin. The staff were helpful and the housekeeping crew very meticulous. I would recommmend this hotel as a getaway from the hustle and bustle of work and the city.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear LowTP,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your positive comments on the hotel and thank you for highlighting the quality of the housekeeping service which we are very proud of. Please feel free to contact me with any suggestions on how you feel we could improve the choice of food offered. I can be contacted here at the hotel directly or on email at aryan@royalmarine.ie and would be happy to discuss this with you.

I do hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon. In the meantime, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of the hotel on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night, treating myself with a spa afternoon as well. Overall, this hotel and spa is ok, but provides no 4 star experience.

I had a very good massage in the spa (really nice!), but the facial and pedi were not so well: the facial did not really include deep cleaning and the pedi took 30 minutes to dry and still the laque was impressed after I put on my shoes after 45 minutes - does not speak for good quality. The sauna area did not have a clock, so I did not try it. The aroma sauna smelled mouldy when I opened the door. The rooms of the spa were really nice, though - great atmosphere and beautiful relaxation area.

At the evening, the restaurant was closed (each Monday), so I had to eat in the lobby-style atrium or the very loud Hardy's Bar. I chose the atrium and ordered a burger as there was not much to chose from. The meat was low quality, containing lots of gristle. The floor under the table was dirty. Service was a little slow, because there were a lot of guests, so I understand.

There is no official wifi in the rooms, but you can use it in the lobby. However, at least in my room, the wifi still worked. Would expect this from a 4 star hotel anyway... The room was nice, I was in the old part of the hotel and had a nice sea view. The TV remote control was disgustingly dirty.

The staff was friendly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank maerzmaedchen

Dear maerzmaedchen,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. Thank you for your constructive comments which we always consider carefully at all times. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your massage in the spa and disappointed that the pedicure and facial you recieved did not meet with your expectations. Our therapists are highly trained to deliver a comfortable and pampering experience and I'm disappointed that you felt underwhelmed on this occasion. Our sauna and steam rooms areas are cleaned thoroughly daily and thank you for highlighting the quality of the experience in the relaxation areas of the spa.

Our atrium and bar menu offers a wide range of choice with up to fifteen main course options available which range from various meat dishes to a choice of three fish dishes and vegetarian options. Theis also offers lighter options such as salads/starters and a range of sandwich options. We also offer a different 'Chefs Special' every day and our Hardys formal dining area also offers a Bistro style three course when the main dining room is closed. I would certainly be very interested to know what suggestions you may have to impoeve the choice of options available and would be pleased to discuss this with you further if you would like to contact me on email at aryan@royalmarine.ie.

WIFI is available free of charge in the public areas and meeting rooms of the hotel and hard wired ethernet broadband is available free of charge in all of our guest bedrooms. I am sorry that you felt that the remote control in your bedroom was not cleaned to standard. I know that you spoke to my colleague on check out about this and we have investiagted this occurrence fully already.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I hope that you will have an opportunity to come back again and visit us soon. In the meantime, I look forward to hearing from you on the above and thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Had the pleasure of staying here for just one night. Would love to have stayed longer. The bed was pure heaven. The staff were all wonderful and the food in the main restaurant was simply delicious. Would definately stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Noreen H,

Thank you for tkaing the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and thank you for your most positive comments on the comfort of the beds, the food served in the main dining room and the hard working staff of the hotel.

I hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon for a longer visit.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

we arrived and ended up driving into the dungeon type car park - but that was the only aspect that was dark and dreary. it was a busy Saturday and they had a wedding in full swing however that did not detract from their warm welcome towards us. at reception they were very pleasant and answered all queries without any issue. bedroom was great with a balcony. we didn't eat in the hotel as we were going back into Dublin for dinner but what we saw looked good. only small issue was that for the two days we were there they had the area in front of the fire cordoned of as reserved yet each time we walked past it there was no-one there - so we ended up going to a local pub for a bit of atmosphere. seemed like there was a wide range of customers and a lot of Americans which was nice to see. has great views out to sea though there was some building work to the front right of hotel. it was a very quick drive back into Dublin I think only around 6 miles away. we are already planning the next trip so we can get to use the spa and pool.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear STICKGIRL,

I was delighted to read all of your positve comments on the hotel and thank thank you for these. I hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed recently with my wife as we were attending a function at a nearby Yacht Club. The Hotel is ideally suited to those travelling by Ferry from the nearby ferry Terminal.
Booked a Standard Room on line, we were upgraded to Executive with a sea view at no extra charge as there was a wedding in the Hotel, and the receptionist was concerned that we would hear some extra noise later in the evening.
The Room was spacious, and the view of the Harbour, although there was obscured slightly by a building site which has taken over the former duck pond and bowling green which were very much part of the VIctorian aspect of the town.
The only criticism of the room would be the lack of light, sadly most Hotels are now using Energy saving light bulbs but they do not serve any useful purpose for Reading, Shaving or putting on Make-up. The Bathroom is quite dark as a result.
As we were dining out, I perused the Menu in the Hotel, and the Restaurant has a good selection on offer, it would be unfair to make comment as we did not have dinner on this occasion.
The Breakfast was buffet style, served in the downstairs bar. A good selection of fruits and Cereals. Fruit Juices were Average, but no freshly squeezed Orange Juice, which one should expect from a four star Hotel. A good selection of Hot Food, Sadly the Tea and Coffee is pretty awful, and although decent coffee is available in the adjacent coffee bar, it was not offered to us at breakfast. Apart from these minor points Breakfast was enjoyable.
The lifts are operated using bedroom cards for security reasons, but the card readers are slightly damaged, and do not always work, thus leading to confusion at busy times.
Receptionist was friendly but did not ask if everything was ok or if we enjoyed our stay, another small point that should be addressed.
We will come back in future after a pleasant overnight stay.

Room Tip: Do pay the upgrade for a sea view if you plan to stay more than one night, but be wary of Weddings a...

Dear robboWicklow,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read all of your positive and constructive comments on the hotel and I will certainly address the feedback that you have provided.

I was happy to read that you are planning to return again in the future and I hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back again to the hotel soon.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I found my stay at this hotel very nice. Staff very helpful and friendly, Location beautiful very relaxing and enjoyable. I booked this hotel through the Select Hotel Group. The staff there were very helpful and friendly. This is 3rd time to book with Select Hotel's and i always have been very happy with the service i got. My mum has also booked with select hotel's and she is also happy with the above.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Dear Elaine B,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your positive comments on the hotel and thank you for highlighting the friendliness of the staff that you encountered. Select Hotel of Ireland are a marketing group of independently owned and operated Irish hotels. Many of the hotels within the Select Group are family owned and operated as the Royal Marine Hotel is and I was delighted to read that you and your mother have had similar experiences in other Select Members Hotels.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review and I hope that you will have another opportunity to visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dun Laoghaire
Lansdowne Hotel Ballsbridge
Talbot Hotel Stillorgan
Talbot Hotel Stillorgan
#1 of 1 in Stillorgan

Been to Royal Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!