“Cancelling at the last minute”
Review of Haddington House

Haddington House
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I had to cancel my weekend at this hotel at the last minute due to ill health and the staff were more than helpful and understanding when I called them. They refunded the deposit which they weren't obliged to do and I am very grateful to them.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

I had the occasion to stay here on Thursday 13th. I requested a sea view which was granted and the views were spectacular but that is where it ends. We arrived about 6pm to an empty reception desk with the back office door wide open and a clearly disorganised office with shoes and all sorts just thrown around the place. Hotel bar non existent seems to be more of a separate restaurant with bar which could be leased out. However I do have to say the breakfast staff were excellent and it was good. We also dined in the restaurant and found the food amazing. Pizzas were amazing as was the pasta. Would definitely go back to the restaurant. Whilst the room was great the hotel is in need of some TLC.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Perie
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This hotel is just awful. The staff are ignorant and rude. The bar is non existent its just a couple of stools and hard chairs and that's it. The bar staff in particular were shockingly bad and terribly rude.The breakfast was just terrible very little selection. The bar staff only cater for people having meals and people they know . Its not a friendly and welcoming hotel the staff make you feel very unwelcome and uneasy. Not a place to go.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank TheCronins
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately while the hotel is well situated, the staff are overall unhelpful and borderline rude. Rooms are small and pokey, especially when there are already people in them. Even though the price seemed reasonable, it was actually quite high for what we received - not even willing to part with a cold jug of milk for tea in the morning. Not in a rush back.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PeadardeB
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

I was there for a wedding and thought it was great.

Good staff, nice location, worth paying the extra for the sea views, great restaurant (Olivetos), near the pier which is good for a Teddy's ice cream, a bit more character/more intimate than the Royal Marine which is a bit corporate and shiny for my liking - with its chandeliers etc

Mr Peter

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I write this review at 2am in the morning having not slept at all due to loud noises surrounding the hotel. So you have the sound of cars and trains which you could easily believe are in the room with you!!!! You then have the noise of the pub/restaurant which is part of the hotel of which you may as well stay in as you can hear every conversation the customers are having, you get to enjoy the music on loud all night. The worst part is no one warned me, if the reception staff had told me I'd be enjoying the sounds of the street and pub like I was in/on them all night I'd of simply slept on one of the benches outside and saved my money.

The only reason I stayed here is because the Royal Marine Hotel was booked up, next time I'll be booking well in advance.

Shocking!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
5  Thank 1984Ash
kingston123Dublin, Front Office Manager at Haddington House, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Thank you for your review. All comments are welcomed. I'm afraid as we are located in a town centre we cannot offer the guarantee of total peace and quiet. We do face onto the coast road but this is not generally a high traffic road after working hours and the train does not run all night. With regard to noise from the restaurant, as I don't know which night exactly you stayed I cannot check regarding this but generally the restaurant/bar runs within normal licensing hours and as we are located in a residential area we have to adhere to this. Did you contact a member of staff to complain or request to be moved to a room in another area of the hotel? Maybe this would have helped the situation. I am disappointed that your experience of the hotel was not satisfactory and do appreciate your position

Reviewed October 31, 2013

After a truly fantastic stay at TwoRoomsinDublin and a bustling city experience we decided to spend the last night of our short break at the coast at the Kingston Hotel in Dun Laoghaire - as soon as we arrived we knew we had made a poor decision. The receptionist hardly looked up as she informed us that we would have to wait a couple of hours for our room to be ready. Unphased we set off to explore Dun Laoghaire, but were kicking our heels after just an hour! It is a totally souless place with a few tired chain shops and faceless cafes that you could find anywhere. The walk along the quay was nice...we spotted a seal...but with that done there was nothing of note! On checking into our room we were mortified! Yes it was clean (ish) but tired, shabby and totally impersonal...as was the service (or lack of it) at breakfast. There were absolutely no toiletries apart from a wall-mounted anti-bacterial soap (which didn't have anything in it) and a wall-mounted very dilute shampoo. The bath mat was a disposable paper one which absorbed nothing and the bathroom floor soon became a skating rink!! Lumpy pillows, a stained mattress, and a coffee/tea facility that made drinks tasting of plastic completed our 100 Euro per night room! The walls were wafer thin and we were kept awake by the TV in the next room and doors slamming. The corridor to our room smelt badly of cigarette smoke as despite us being in a non smoking room, it was very close to a smoking room! Breakfast was terrible.......cold, congealed baked beans and rubbery eggs that you served, budget white bread for self-making your toast and dreadful coffee!! I would definitely never stay there again, and for that matter visit Dun Laoghaire again!! We got on the DART train and spent the day visiting Greystones in nearbouring Wicklowe instead, which was a welcome retreat!

Room Tip: If you are forced to have to stay here go for a sea view room....at least the view will distract you...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Sandymount Hotel
Sandymount Hotel
#25 of 150 in Dublin
Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin

Been to Haddington House? Share your experiences!