To start with the positives - the room was large, comfortable and clean. The temperature was fine and the bed was comfortable with fresh clean sheets. We had booked a double room and the room had a double and single bed in it with an en-suite bathroom with bath and overhead shower. The décor was slightly shabby, but fine.
We ate one evening in the restaurant - Oliveto which was lovely, the menu was great and reasonably priced and the staff friendly and attentive.
What annoyed me was the lack of little extras which wouldn't have cost much but would have made a difference. There were a couple of sachets of tea and coffee in the room, no biscuits. The kettle was plugged in behind the dressing table, so had to be filled by making several visits to the bathroom with cups of water. The bathroom had a dispenser over the bath which contained shower gel - no shampoo, conditioner, soap, shower cap etc.
Breakfast was along the style of Fawlty Towers. One member of staff who kept disappearing - on one morning I had to ask for cutlery, cups, bread, eggs, milk and for the coffee machine to be replenished! There is one toaster which is very slow and guest run the risk of either burning themselves trying to extricate the toast with their fingers, or electrocute themselves by using a fork! The buffet seemed to be filled at 7am and the food left to harden and congeal for the rest of the morning.
Generally in Ireland I am struck with how much better the service is than in England, but this hotel is the exception to prove the rule. No friendly welcome, no "did you enjoy your stay?" no "can I help you?" as guests rifled through the cupboards looking vainly for crockery. It's a shame, because the hotel is basically fine and in a lovely position on the seafront. With a bit of effort it could be so very much better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on the seafront in Dun Laoghaire, Haddington House has panoramic views of Dublin Bay. Originally four Victorian townhouses the hotel began its life as Haddington House, a finishing school for girls, before being converted into a hotel in the 1950s. We are continuing to develop the hotel property but in keeping with the unique heritage of the building. Our fifty en suite bedrooms have flat screen multi-channel TV's, free WiFi, Nespresso coffee machines, digital radios, hair dryers and filtered still and sparkling water. Our newer 'Classic' and 'Deluxe' rooms also come with an in-room safe, a mini fridge stocked with fresh milk, as well as a complimentary Irish Times. Most of the rooms in these categories also have spectacular sea views. Oliveto, the award-winning restaurant with views of the sea, serves Italian-inspired fare and is extremely popular so booking is highly recommended. There's also two unique events spaces: The Library Bar and Oak Room, a lobby bar and a buzzy garden overlooking the sea complete with a Hut Bar. The location is hard to beat with Dun Laoghaire DART station just a 5-minute walk away which provides regular rail connections to Dublin's city centre. The Aviva Stadium and the RDS can be reached after a 10-minute DART rail journey. If you're staying in the area, we have partnered up with a number of local businesses so guests can enjoy discounts on activities. The beautiful village of Dalkey is a short trip down the coast and is great for an afternoon's ramble. Directly opposite us is the historic east pier which was built especially for the arrival of Queen Victoria in 1900. Around the corner is the National Maritime Museum and the James Joyce Tower made famous by Ulysses is just a 5-minute walk away. If you fancy a dip, we'll supply you with towels for a visit to the well-known swimming spot, the 40 foot (beware of the seals!) We look forward to welcoming you to Haddington House. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Haddington House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kingston Hotel dún Laoghaire
- Haddington House Dun Laoghaire, Ireland - County Dublin