“Dirty old place, falling apart.”
Review of Avondale House

Avondale House
Ranked #131 of 150 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed here one night only (thank god!). First thing I must say is that this is NOT a B&B, it's a cheap motel. All the staff were nice, every single person working there was Polish which was fine for us but it might not be what you expect visiting Ireland. The place was basially falling apart. There was some sort of building going on, there was dust and dirt all over the place. Our room had not been vaccumed, the carpet was filthy. Room was very basic, just a bed in it. There was only one light source, from the ceiling that was missing a lightbulb, so we had no light until someone came to fix this. This place is in dire need of some loving owners and some maintainance. In the meantime, stay away!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed in the Avondale House for the Heineken Cup Final 2013, I knew it was a budget bed and breakfast and I knew the rates had went up to meet with the demand from 70,000 rugby fans, all I wanted was a city centre location close to Aviva Stadium, bed, shower and breakfast. I really enjoyed the Heineken Cup Final, I enjoyed my stay in Dublin, I enjoyed my free pint in Ned Keenan’s Bar in Gardiner Street. The Avondale House is simple, basic, city centre accommodation, if you want more than that then pay for it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Peter A
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Cost us more to stay here than the price of the room. It just got worse and worse and then were robbed. The room was scrape the bottom of the barrel basic (bed and clothes rail) and of course the advertised tv in the room, which would nearly fall of the wall with a sneeze, we feared for risk of a head injury on pressing the buttons to change the tv as the remote did not work. There was not even a rail in the ensuite to keep the toilet roll and towel of the small dirty floor. After a 4 hour flight and traveling time a shower was called for. To start the hot water was a trickle which disappeared followed by the cold water disappearring. As it was after midnight we reported it in the morning, the repair man 'fixed' it, it still only tricked and did not provide hot water, but smelly cold water only. We reported it again at 3pm and again on checking out the following morning to be told it was 'fixed'. On checking out our bags were left safely under the eyes of reception for over an hour. On return a bag was STOLEN, including; toiletries, chargers, house keys and pens. Overall we paid financially for a room with ensuite, the nearby swimming pool to use shower facilities, the locksmith to get into the house and to buy new locks, various retailers to replace stolen items and morally by the disrespect of the accommodation employees. A free breakfast and central location is not adequate for the total price of our stay. You will be making a saving on free pints for return stays as not many guests would return to the shanty town lodging you falsely advertise as 'a professional guesthouse'.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Well where do I start? The room we were assigned room 132 was basic to say the least, only a bed and a tiny tv with a broken controller no bedside light or table or anything infact. The shower wasn't working we had no hot water for two days to have a shower, when we did try to run the shower the smell wasn't far from sewage. We also left our bags at reception for no longer than 90 min and arrived back to a bag missing, received a phone call a hour later to tell me my bag turned up but when I arrived back their was a number of items missing from the bag. It was a awful experience and wouldn't wish it upon anyone truly horrible. Avoid at all cost please

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Literally the worst hostel experience of my life. Water stains on the ceiling and carpet, small showers, gross bathrooms and overall dirty rooms. Do not lift up the sheets to look at the mattress...disgusting.

During my stay there was a flood in the bathroom above me and toilet water was dripping onto my pillow. After sleeping at Starbucks and yelling at reception for 30 mins I was able to get a refund for that night.

NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank John M
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were in Dublin for the weekend. The recepcionist that we met first was not really nice, but is true that later on the rest were nice with us. The rooms are ok, but the bathroom (we had it inside) is really small, and bit old, just 2 big towels, no carpet for the shower, no towel for hand, no soap... In the room we didnt have any table or something were to put the things, just a chair. Also we were trying to find a vending machine or similar to buy water, and we had to go outside to buy it. Breakfast was included, irsh breakfast, ok. The first nite was really noisy, up stairs. Second nite was more or less fine.
The location is 10min walking from temple bar.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at avondale from 6th feb to the 10th feb. We literally booked it the night before we left and didn't check out trip advisor as we rushed the booking, I wish we had looked now!! When we initially checked into our room we literally just dumped our bags and headed out. Initial thoughts were, decor bit tired, bit smelly but it was a bed and a shower which was all we were fussed about. However, when we came back to the room for our first nights sleep, we literally didn't sleep a wink. This was due to the unbelievably hot room as the radiator was on full whack at all times and the knob had been taken off so we couldn't turn it off or down. So we had no choice to open the windows but that meant we were faced with the traffic noise, which kept us awake. Also, we were in room 128 and it had 4 windows which had no restriction or bars on so very dangerous if travelling with kids..or irresponsible people! Breakfast was fairly good, definetely microwaved but it seemed to be the only good thing about it. Also, location good too. We paid 140 for an en suite room which meant we had our own shower cubicle and sink (toliets were shared on the floor below). The shower was vile, pipes on show out the back of the shower unit going into the wall and thw shower head squirted water in every direction. It is the sort of shower where you take one look at it and wish you brought your flip flops to shower. I know people say you get what you pay for but should that really be sleepless nights and being uncomfortable for the whole time you are there ?? In hindsight, should have complained whilst we were there but being typical english we didn't.
As mentioned before in other reviews, some reception staff tell you to take your key with you when you go out and some ask to have it! Bed was made while we were there but linen not changed, my boyfriend had a nose bleed during the night on our first night and he had to sleep with his bloodied pillow for the rest of our stay !

• Stayed: February 2013