“Fantastic food, venue and service”
Review of The Winding Stair

The Winding Stair
Reserve with OpenTable
The Winding Stair is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #108 of 2,574 Restaurants in Dublin
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Ottershaw, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, venue and service”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Excellent service and food. Went on a Friday night and the restaurant was really busy but superb service and a great vibrant atmosphere. The menu was brilliant with a variety of choice but not so much so that it became a chore! Food was fresh and tasted great. Only reason for not giving a 5 was that it was really hot and the windows were shut as other guests were sat right by the window and maybe their food would get get cold. Probably not often a problem with typical Irish weather.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Denver, Colorado
“Decent food but not great service”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We were happy that we were able to obtain a Friday night reservation on the day of our visit, but we were a bit disappointed with the service. When we asked for recommendations from the waitstaff they were a bit dismissive. We tend to like to ask for menu advice when we are in a new place, but very little help was offered.

Sligo, Ireland
“Gorgeous brunch!”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I used to visit the Winding Stair as a student, when it was a cafe and bookshop, so I was looking forward to visiting again.

The menu was suberb; we went for brunch on Sunday afternoon and had a hard time choosing what to eat as everything looked so good.

The waiter was friendly and the food was really fantastic, although a little expensive, although the portions were very good.

A table near the window would have made it a perfect visit but you can't have everything! Would definitely recommend.

• Visited July 2014
Paris, France
“Everything you're looking for”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Spent a weekend in Dublin and a friend (who lives in Dublin) told us to go. We loved every bit of it. It's classic irish cuisine revisited in a non-pretentious but delicious way. Starter: Best fish plate I ever had, taste was just perfect, don't think abt it try it. My main was great but I can't see it on the menu anymore, they work with fresh product so they may have changed it. I had the Bread & Butter pudding and totally loved it as well.
People were super nice which is a nice plus.
All in all loved it

Dublin
“A bit disappointing”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I ate here with a large group of ten people for a birthday celebration.

It is a lovely room and it was buzzing. Our seating was a tad cramped especially as the end of the table was just at the entrance and near the kitchen. Not great but tolerable.

The food was good enough. The worst course was the feta salad whcih was actually quite poor. The feta tasted old and a bit unpleasant, like it had been taken from a packet that was open too long. The dressing was tasteless but the sub dried tomatoes were gorgeous and really the best part of the salad. The smokies looked really tasty, I was sorry I hadn't ordered those.

I had sole for the main and it was nice if a bit small. Then a ginger and pear cake to finish which was good.

My main issue with the evening was that when I booked I indicated that one of our party was a very fussy eater. We went through various options and I asked if she could be given pasta and cream. I was told no, because they were an Irish restaurant serving Irish food. Fair enough. We agreed eventually that they would give her am omelette.

However, on the night, a huge fuss was made and they refused to make an omelette. In fact, they wanted to give her... pasta and cream ???? Unfortunately, the fussy eater was geared up for the omelette and the whole thing upset her enormously. I wasn't aware of the issue at the time or I'd have complained.

So I am marking the place down seriously for the whole debacle. My guest was upset. I was upset when I found out what had happened. I don't want my guest to be put under pressure about her food when I have already made arrangements to accomodate her. I want her to be happy and comfortable. I think they could have done a lot more to make her welcome. Especially when they had been warned of the issue and an arrangement made.

It soured the experience a bit.

I also thought the food was average rather than good. They are trying hard though and it really is a lovely room with a great atmosphere.

• Visited June 2014