“Very entertaining”

The Merry Ploughboy
Ranked #83 of 2,757 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located at the foothills of the Dublin Mountains, the Merry Ploughboy is a destination gastro pub. Being a proud member of "Good Food Ireland", the pub offers the best of Irish food produce which includes a variety of specials to choose from each day along with Sunday roasts at the weekend.
Reviewed March 7, 2014

What a pleasant surprise on my visit to Dublin. Large family style seating for the music and dance show. The food was vey good and the show was fantastic. When booking for dinner make sure to add the show and that you are seated upstairs. Musicians are the Pub owners and change the show frequently. Everyone in our group and a blast.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

This is a nice pub that has every night a show of Irish music and dances together with dinner.
The singers are excellent and the show is full of charming humor . The dances are less impressive. Food is nice too. Good place for tourist from abroad.

Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

My new favourite chicken wings spot in Dublin. Only thing to get the sauce on the side it is extremely hot. ( and I love hot sauce)

Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Probably go once a week for dinner with wife and 5 year old daughter. Have tried almost everything on the menu and would easily recommend everything. Te only thing I think that let's the food down is the burger! It's massive but doesn't make up for the lack of taste. Maybe it's just not my cup o tea!
Wings are incredible. Although sauce is slightly to hot for me. So I get sauce on the side so I can limit the amount!! Great staff and a lovely pint of Guinness.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I've been to this pub quite a few times and while the atmosphere and ambiance of the pub is quite good, the food has always been on the lower side of mediocre.
But my last visit last weekend was the final straw.
Seven of us arrived at about 7:40 pm and were immediately advise that the kitchen closes at 8pm. Several items were off the menu ("we've been so busy today") so we ended up having burgers with various optional extras.
If one of us had a poor burger you could write it down to an unfortunate incident. At €13.95 for the burger I expect a good burger. This was not a good burger. This was horrible - so dry and over-done that it was tasteless. The bread buns were ALL burnt - six of us had the burgers and ALL of the buns were burnt. The one of our party who decided not to eat, enjoyed his pint without feeling ripped off by bad food.

I will never go to this pub again for food. Its grand for a pint but give the food a miss.

MerryPloughboy, Owner at The Merry Ploughboy, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. Unfortunately on Sundays quite a number of items can be sold out by the time we close for food at 8pm. This arises due to the popularity of the pub for food, the freshly prepared nature of the food and the unpredictability of how busy the pub will be from one weekend to the next. While this is not an excuse for our standards to slip, I'm sure that your experience (at least in terms of choice) would have been a lot better any time other than shortly before closing time. We will pass on your feedback to the team in the kitchen. Food finishes at later time of 9.30 every other night of the week (Monday to Saturday).