“Great food & fun!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Merry Ploughboy

The Merry Ploughboy
Ranked #234 of 2,384 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish, European, Pub, Bar, British, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Fallston, Maryland
“Great food & fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The Merry Ploughboy was included in our CIE Irish Heritage Tour and was the final farewell of our group. I expected it to be busy & loud and was unsure about the quality of the dining experience, but I was pleasantly surprised. Our group had a front table and we were specifically requested to sit in the very front (the older guests in our group expected the music to be too loud for them to sit in front so we “sacrificed”). The service was impeccable! We ordered multiple pints of Guinness & Smithwicks which we received in record time and with little intrusion to enjoying the show. Dinner was a choice of several entrees, including a starter and a dessert. I chose the sea trout, which was amazing and one of the best entrees I enjoyed during my whole trip to Ireland. The band, The Merry Ploughboys, were amazing. Their musical talent & selection were combined perfectly with their warm enthusiasm and humor. I purchased a CD of their music for a memory to be savored back at home. While I expected the musical part of the show, I was not expecting the traditional Irish Dance, which spent at least 45 minutes kicking & stomping in the traditional way. Again, a very pleasant surprise. I highly suggest a visit to the Merry Ploughboy if passing through Dublin; it is definitely worth a night out.

• Visited March 2013

• Finnish first
San Francisco, California
“I didn't want to like it, but...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This was a great show. The food was good, but the show was great. I wasn't looking forward to being in a room with 200 other tourists watching a canned show, but this was something else. Extremely enjoyable!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank 882markd
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Maybe too Irish?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I have loved my stays in ireland and I realy enjoy Irish hospitality. a friend recommended that me and my family should try a traditional irish evening. It was with some trepidation that we went to see the Merry Ploughboys on a thursday evening. the place was packed with an audience from many different nations but it was largely American. The food was filling but not refined, not surprising as it was mass catering. The band were actually great and they were masters at getting an audience going. The dancing was traditional Irish and it involved getting some people up from the audience. My 15yr old daughter was mortified to be called out but she held her own. THis sort of place is a one off visit and I suppose I am glad to have done it but I have no wish to go ever again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Essex, United Kingdom
“Great evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

A fantastic evening, I do not know how much the meal was as it was a treat from a friend, but food was great and plentiful, and the entertainment was brilliant.

• Visited May 2013
Tokyo, Japan
“Touristy, but still a fun evening!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is one of those evenings where you take a taxi or a shuttle bus 7 kilometers out of town, sit with a mostly senior crowd and eat a course menu. Sounds awful, but it was good food, and the crowd really enjoyed the show, which was also good. There's a more traditional pub on the first floor; the second floor is a large hall. We got there fairly early (seating is from 7:00) and were served earlier than the larger groups that got there a half hour later. The first half of the show is the Merry Ploughboys, and the second half featured dancing, with a few more songs. They really know their audience and enjoyed the show.

Visited May 2013